Mens - Long Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Mens - Long Program

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Dissapointing night of skating overall. Joubert overmarked in the free and way overmarked in the short is pulled up to the podium via very generous PCS. Probably over the both the short and long Amodio was the best but he wasn't at his best tonight and there is a lot of standing on the one spot in the programme. It was close between between KVDP and Verner but Verner deserved it more as even though his jumps were on tonight he had the better all round package. It's nearly as if KVDP only practices jumps his spins and steps are so poor in comparsion. Gachinski over marked especially on PCS, have no idea what the choreography was all about.

Very disappointing for Brezina but he is coming back from injury. I am getting a bit tired of Fernandez having the same programme time for a change. Would like to have seen Menshovs performance but eurosport were only live for the last two groups.

I can't see there be any europeans on the podium in Tokyo

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The only way a European will sneak in for bronze at Worlds is if the Japanese men all crash and burn badly under the pressure of being on home ice. I think Verner has the best shot still if he skates to his potential.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
:rock: The podium seemed right to me. Congratulations to Florent on his first European title, to Brian on his tenth European medal and to Tomás on his third European medal! :yay:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I know Amodio was the clear SP winner - and is a great skater overall - but that LP vehicle of his does him such a great disservice. As someone pointed out, its figure SKATING. Clearly Amodio can dance, but dancing on one spot several times throughout his program does not a skater make. His PCS should have been much lower.

In general I think I'm for a ban on skating to Michael Jackson. Most people on the planet look stupid trying to dance to MJ and it definitely rarely translates well to the ice. At least Florent can move well to the music - unlike Verner, sorry - but you're right and it doesn't make for good skating.

Layfan

Record Breaker
The only way a European will sneak in for bronze at Worlds is if the Japanese men all crash and burn badly under the pressure of being on home ice. I think Verner has the best shot still if he skates to his potential.

The Japanese men rarely seem to all do well at the same time. I kind of think anything could happen.

Puchi

On the Ice
I know Amodio was the clear SP winner - and is a great skater overall - but that LP vehicle of his does him such a great disservice. As someone pointed out, its figure SKATING. Clearly Amodio can dance, but dancing on one spot several times throughout his program does not a skater make.

ITA. Posing and dancing on one spot for around a whole minute of the program may be entertaining but is not really great skating. I hope he gets a better program next season.

tdnuva

On the Ice
(PCS in particular - one Pluschenko was bad enough, but now another...sigh).

ITA big time. I LOATHE this arm waving called "choreography" and thought the nightmare was over, when Plushenko retired. Then he started comebacks plus running around a violinist and now we have Gachinski...

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Brian Joubert is SUPER!

What a fighter!

GO BRIAN!!!! That is right Zandor, Brian is a fighter, and tonight proved that, he is going to countinue to keep fighting, he is not going anywhere and the judges recognize that and will continue to support his fight

lavender

Record Breaker
Hey Brian haters, he is still alive and winning, suck it!!

Brian won...I thought Florent won. Nevermind..I see that Florent won

Congrats to all the medalist. I kind of felt bad for Brian after that awful fall on the lutz. That was a weird fall.

Last edited:

ivy

On the Ice
I know Amodio was the clear SP winner - and is a great skater overall - but that LP vehicle of his does him such a great disservice. As someone pointed out, its figure SKATING. Clearly Amodio can dance, but dancing on one spot several times throughout his program does not a skater make. His PCS should have been much lower. Combined with his tech mistakes today - the fall on the loop, edge call on his flip and his repetition of the lutz without doing a combo - he should not have gotten that high a score and won.

And the Russian politiking is at it again - Gachinski scored way too high for that program (PCS in particular - one Pluschenko was bad enough, but now another...sigh).

Count me as one that agrees here - I enjoyed Amodios SP much more then this silly, posey LP - sorry say the crowd seemed to get into it, but not enough skating for me.

If Gachinski becomes the next big thing I may have to stop watching - I just can't handle his style

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
I'm really glad the Italian commentators said Brian's PCS marks were incredibly inflated^^ They really were:)

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Gachinski's just a Plushenko impersonator, I really dislike his "style".
Count me as one that agrees here - I enjoyed Amodios SP much more then this silly, posey LP - sorry say the crowd seemed to get into it, but not enough skating for me.

If Gachinski becomes the next big thing I may have to stop watching - I just can't handle his style

Kinga

Medalist
I agree with that sort of. With Verner's overall skating yes. But I really don't like Michael Jackson for him. I thought he looked awkward.

I love Tomas and his skating, but both his programs for this season are so much less vivid and entertaining than before. They just leave me cold. He is also much slower than in the past and elements lack this superb quality that he used to present. But his PCS remains unchanged... So if he had skated clean I would have him on the podium, but with these mistakes, the programes become completely pale... Therefore I think KVDP should have won bronze (Ufff, I cannot believe I have said that :)) - he had a pale program too, but clean jumps.

I might be totally in minority here, but I actually liked Gachinsky's LP. It was dynamic and fast. Music accents were emphasized (even if it was Plushenko's reminiscence and I did not actually like Plushenko at all! :)).
I still dont know what to make out of Jouberts LP - once I like it and I think he is interpreting the music well in his own 'unclassical' way, but in the next seconds I cannot help to think that it is a bit fake expression from him (I have to see the progam again). Plus that URed 4T...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chan doing three quads Euro mens winner not doing one quad. Oh Boy Euro men probably not going to challenge Chan or be on podium possibly.

Kinga

Medalist

Maybe the crowd got into it, beacuse it is freaking cold in the arena ;)