Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Ladies FS

Custom Title
    What worries me about Mirai is it seems like she was beaten before she even took the ice. She was slow she had no attack and just never had any energy. That is inexcusable to someone like Frank.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Everybody can be mad in the heat of the moment, Plushenko was accused for attacking Lysacek in defeat, Caroll is 3 times his age, he is her coach - her own team and in that aspect he is not much more graceful in defeat either. Especially the 70 year old coach against a 17 girl..He should have learnt to protect his skaters by now, he could have gone to the rink and tell her all that privately.
    I agree, seniorita. I don't understand the need to trash her like that publicly, whether it's true or not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I think he was just really mad that he blew it again. She let the fact that Alissa skated well and got good scores affect her instead of rising to the occasion and using the energy like we saw so nicely in the men's competition on sunday. She just gave up before she even started and that is not the sign of a champion. NOthing will ever go perfectly. There will always be a distraction, a set back, ,an injury. A champion rises above all that and relies on his or her training.

Mirai is like Sasha in that way, set dosen't have the dedication to put in the hours in training and then lets the headgames come in when the lights go up. I really hope Mirai figures out how to conquer this, but she will have a long wait to prove herself again. By next fall the sting of letting this opportunity go won't be as fresh as if she competed in March.

Bottom line. Yes, Frank was harsh, but I think he is perfectly justified in being so.
    But even Sasha would fight in her programs when they didn't go well. A Olympic silver medal World medals and Grand Prix medals show that. Mirai will sometimes just collapse when things go wrong. At least she didn't totally fall apart Saturday. I guess that's something.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    But she had the best sp and in the lp she just stepped out of 2axel and the mistake on the spin, it is not like she collapsed or melted down, fell etc, I dont understand , everyone can mistep on the entrance spin, Yuna has done it, Dai has done it. Ok she didnt have the perfect skate but when i was reading the thread I thought she blew it. I dont understand the such disappointment for her skate.

But she had the best sp and in the lp she just stepped out of 2axel and the mistake on the spin, it is not like she collapsed or melted down, fell etc, I dont understand , everyone can mistep on the entrance spin, Yuna has done it, Dai has done it. Ok she didnt have the perfect skate but when i was reading the thread I thought she blew it. I dont understand the such disappointment for her skate.
    I think the disappointment is that the mistakes were so avoidable - at least the one in her spin and it was clearly nerves and distraction.

But I agree: She did NOT have a meltdown of epic porportions. She didn't fall to 10th like Alissa did last year. She didn't fall to oblivion like Carolina Kostner has done so many times. She won the bronze medal!

Sheesh people.
    And that Joyce lady made such a big deal about Mirai NEVER winning a competition after finishing 1st in the short, which first of all is false.
    And besides, it's true that last year, she didn't stay in first after the short at nationals. But she gave a completely awesome and near perfect skate. She didn't make any stupid mistakes at all. People always seem to remember only the color of the medals.

ouch, Frank sounds unfriendly (putting it mildly I know).

Anyone want to bet we'll see him fire her like he did Tim (IIRC he was not so nice that last season before he traded Tim to Audrey W. and began working in earnest with Evan).

Both rachel and mirai did mistakes and honestly their skate quality difference is like night and day and I dont understand how that performance of Rachel got more points. Probably Urs and technical things that I dont know.

Custom Title
    Both rachel and mirai did mistakes and honestly their skate quality difference is like night and day and I dont understand how that performance of Rachel got more points. Probably Urs and technical things that I dont know.
    Rachael doubled the first lutz, URed the 3Toe.
    Mirai URed the second 3lutz, botched a spin. Gifted with the UR on the 2A-2T. That 2A should be called a 1A.

Rachael's base is higher, so it's not that hard to see why Rachael got more points, considering her mistakes are minors and less costly compare to Mirai's. If you must have an UR call, you rather it's something easy like a 3T instead of a 3Z.

I take Rachael's skating is day and Mirai's night?

Custom Title
    It is highly inappropriate for that grumpy old man to bash his highly successful student in public, repeatedly.

Such boorish treatment of a teenager, or anybody, does nothing to improve the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ouch, Frank sounds unfriendly (putting it mildly I know).

Anyone want to bet we'll see him fire her like he did Tim (IIRC he was not so nice that last season before he traded Tim to Audrey W. and began working in earnest with Evan).
    The same thought occurred to me but I didn't even want to think about it. Personally, I think this time around it would be a horrible public relations move for Frank if it came out that he dumped her but maybe he doesn't care at this point.

There was a poster who explained it well. It wasn't URs - both Mira and Rachael got one UR each. It came down to the difficulty of their programs. Rachael had a higher difficulty level so her mistakes were less costly. Also, Mirai got no credit for her botched spin.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    It is highly inappropriate for that grumpy old man to bash his highly successful student in public, repeatedly.

Such boorish treatment of a teenager, or anybody, does nothing to improve the situation.
    I'm with you.

Custom Title
    Yeah - Andrea Joyce was bugging me too.

Mirai is my fave of the top ladies, and it wasn't so much the technical problems that I found disappointing, it was her lack of attack, of focus, of enthusiasm. I don't think this is the best program for her either, and when she slipped it didn't hold her up. Half way through I was a little bored - and that's not good for a fan.

If Frank fires her it might be for the best in the long run. Maybe she needs to take a little more ownership of her skating.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    I take Rachael's skating is day and Mirai's night?

Dont get me wrong, we all have our favorites and when they falter we need something to blame. I really wanted Mirai to go to worlds, last year worlds I was mesmerized.
    Mirai is my fav lady along with Mao, it has been long since last time I was excited for ladies, so I think for me her skating it is like a bright day, but this is just me so dont take it into heart, I m a not an important person

Thanx for explaining me the mark differences btw!

Down With It
    Clearly Carroll is not happy with Nagasu- perhaps the two should part ways. Nagasu may need a coach that is more supportive and willing to encourage her through rough times- but is also not afraid to slap the hammer down when necessary. To me, it sounds like Carroll does the latter and not enough of the former.

OR- maybe Carroll is right, and is telling it like it is. In which case, this might indeed be the slap that Nagasu needs to pull it together. Sometimes it really takes a major disappointment to evaluate where you are and make the necessary adjustments. Missing the world team should do it.

The problem with Nagasu that night was not the mistakes...IMO, it's that she gave up. She was nervous...fine, but once she made a mistake that was it. You just cannot give up on a performance like that. With Cop it's not over if you fall. You can still make up points here and there. THAT is why she was not on the world team. Flatt's performance was very beatable.

ETA: I agree with Hersh that we probably need that third ladies spot more than ever now. It enables an additional skater to gain Worlds experience. With our field, that could be invaluable. Come on Alyssa and Rachel!
    Last edited by R.D.; 01-31-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Totally inexcusable for Carroll to put his and Mirai's business in the street.

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast