Ladies FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm sorry, but NO WAY Flatt should be ahead of Nagasu. Her PCS should've been lower than all the other girls in the last warm-up, and much lower. I'd say 10 or more points behind Czisny and 7-8 behind Nagasu. She really doesn't have anything but the jumps, and her jumps are not the best quality either. I really have no idea what the judges were thinking. Yes, Mirai and Alissa are two headcases, but it's not like with Flatt in the team there is more hope for the three spots next year. I appreciate her spirit, but can she just go to college finally? Yes, Mirai shoud be behind her in TES, but ahead in PCS and overall.

Thank you. And calling out bad judging and ill fated intentions by the U.S federation is not bashing someone and if it then so be it. The U.S should be looking out for their own best interests which is not holding up and drastically overscoring a skater with limited potential on the World level who didnt even skate well tonight.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I also thought Agnes and Gao were underscored in both programs, especialy tonight. I hope next year if they are further improved (and I have no doubt they will be) the judges dont look to hold back these 2 extremely promising young ladies.

emma

Record Breaker
I agree with Marrymeyunakim. The more and more I watched Mirai's short program I just thought "she doesn't look ready, and probably shouldn't go to worlds." It's true, she hasn't really improved at all over last year, and in fact, she doesn't even look as good as she did last year. At the end of the season, she left us with a stellar performance at the Olympics, and at Worlds, probably one of the best short programs we've seen since the inception of the new system. I thought even with her disappointing final result there, she'd feel determined, and be inspired by touring with SOI. Everything just looks sluggish. She's not as fast as last year, her spins aren't as fast, she's not attacking the jumps the way she started doing at the end of last season, and she doesn't seem as sure in her choreography and performance.

Mirai is without a doubt my favorite skater, but as soon as she started the program, I knew my inklings were going to be correct, and she just didn't deliver. She's got more potential than anyone in our ladies field. If this doesn't end up entirely deflating her already weak confidence - and I hope it doesn't - this could be the moment she really starts believing in some of the things she tells the reporters and really gets serious. It's disappointing to see, but she needs something that's going to get her a little more fired up.

Alissa on the other hand, I knew she was going to win the title when she was about halfway through the program. I hope that now that she has started to build a pretty good run of good performances, that, coupled with her improved technique, will help her carry confidence into the World Championships.

I'm not sure that I felt she wasn't ready for worlds; more like, crap: we only have two spots and she might not make it. I'm sorry she did not. But, I do think I agree with your general point that she sort of didn't rise to the occassion this season; BUT she has sooooo much to offer and my goodness, bronze at nationals is HUGE. I hope this is the kick in the butt she needs to bring it for real next year, as I love her skating too.

I don't think I knew Alissa would win until Rachel doubled a triple. But I am so happy for her.

I can't seem to find the other posts now; but someone mentioned Mirai needs to go to someone like Yuka....Yuka and Jason rock! but, I think Frank does too. I bet that he is actually great for her - she just needs to settle down a bit and work on those under rotations, and did I say settle down. I bet she will.

Rachel doing Tosca is a great idea, I'm all for it!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
The SP was a lot better than the FP overall, IMO. My favorite skaters tonight were Agnes and Yasmin. Christina was good too.

Mirai didn't go out there like a champion. Rachael apparently had little left in the tank and fell below her norm - but got scored as if she brought it. Alissa was cautious and bland until she finished her jumps. Meh. I don't see either of the top 2 having a great showing at Worlds.

I think Mirai should go train alongside Mao or Daisuke and learn how to fight and deal with pressure. Rachael should change her FP to Tosca or Aranjuez. Alissa should quit while she's ahead. Agnes and Joelle should go to Worlds since Yasmin is too young. Problem solved.

SS you do have a way of tidying things up for everyone! Too funny. Except I do like the suggestion of Much Ado About Nothing for Rachael better than the Tosca or Aranjuez workhorses.

lavender

Record Breaker
I knew Alissa won once Mirai finish. Only a on Mirai could beat that skate. Rachel couldn't touch that even with a clean skate...well not rightfully so.

I guess I wanted to put that out about Alissa because most people are so crazy about her. Layfan has a point about the international judges but Alissa and Worlds... the two things just don't go together. Well, hope she'll prove me wrong.

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood because of Ashley and Mirai. :cry:

Fascinating how split the opinions are about Agnes. Some see her as the complete package already, others as awkward and without polish. Put me in the first camp.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think Agnes still needs more speed but I think she is definitely on the way to being the whole package. An amazing talent. And she is the best U.S jumper in over a decade now.

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't see Agnes as elegant at all...not yet. She has great potential and such wonderful jumps but I don't know if anyone realize that it's possible that she's still growing which can throw everything off.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm not sure that I felt she wasn't ready for worlds; more like, crap: we only have two spots and she might not make it. I'm sorry she did not. But, I do think I agree with your general point that she sort of didn't rise to the occassion this season; BUT she has sooooo much to offer and my goodness, bronze at nationals is HUGE. I hope this is the kick in the butt she needs to bring it for real next year, as I love her skating too.

I don't think I knew Alissa would win until Rachel doubled a triple. But I am so happy for her.

I can't seem to find the other posts now; but someone mentioned Mirai needs to go to someone like Yuka....Yuka and Jason rock! but, I think Frank does too. I bet that he is actually great for her - she just needs to settle down a bit and work on those under rotations, and did I say settle down. I bet she will.

Rachel doing Tosca is a great idea, I'm all for it!

yes, as soon as Rachael doubled her jump I thought, "Oh my God, Alissa won the national championships." But you always want the winner to beat the others at their best. I wish Rachael and Mirai had had better skates. I honestly think Alissa might have been capable of beating them anway. But Alissa was so fine I coudn't ask for for more. I'm just frustrated for Rachael and Mirai.

I though Frank's comment was rough but he's known to be a tough coach. I mean, he's dumped skaters in the past. I guess Mirai is willing to deal with it. I hope she continues to. She would be a fool to leave Frank and Frank wouldn't be smart to give up on her.

But I wonder... there's that whole thing with Frank changing rinks and Mirai having a long commute. I hope their relationship survives.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Michelle skated to Winter for her 97 worlds exhibition. It's my favorite MK exhibition. I'm not sure about Yadgudin though.

emma

Record Breaker
I guess I wanted to put that out about Alissa because most people are so crazy about her. Layfan has a point about the international judges but Alissa and Worlds... the two things just don't go together. Well, hope she'll prove me wrong.

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood because of Ashley and Mirai. :cry:

Fascinating how split the opinions are about Agnes. Some see her as the complete package already, others as awkward and without polish. Put me in the first camp.

Sorry - I too feel really bad for Mirai and Ashley and love their skating very much. I am very happy for Alissa and kind of think she already has some international judge appeal (didn't she just win the GPF?....yes, yes, I know neither Mao nor Yuna were there).

Anyway, I'mnn with you - I see Agnes as the compelte package already too....she just need next season to consistently medal at the senior level to proove it to everyone else. Somone earlier said that they haven't seen someone with this jump talent since Tonya, and I couldn't agree more - plus she is polished and lithe and musical (Tonya had shades of the latter too)....can't wait for next year!

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think Agnes has all the pieces. She has HUGE jumps and a nice style. She exudes confidence and personality. But she still has some finessing to do and it would be great if she can get some more speed. I like her. It'll be interesting to watch her develop in the next year and see if she does become a force to be reckoned with. I didn't like her SP dress, but other that that, I thought there was a lot to like.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I knew Alissa won once Mirai finish. Only a on Mirai could beat that skate. Rachel couldn't touch that even with a clean skate...well not rightfully so.

I kinda thought so too. Not because Rachael can't beat Alissa but because Rachael's LP this year just isn't the greatest. And I knew she wasn't planning a 3-3 so I just didn't think she would do it.

I don't know if Tosca is right for her but something along those lines would be good. Strong, flowy music that isn't sharp or cutesy _ or too balletic classical.

I didn't like her LP dress, but other that that, I thought there was a lot to like.
After that pink bordello outfit she wore in the SP, I'd have been happy with a leotard. But I loved her FP dress. I liked the Polish or at least Slavic theme of her program.

Tigger

Final Flight
I'll be totally honest here I WANT YUNA KIM TO KICK ALISSA CZISNY'S *** AT WORLDS!!!!!!!!

I don't like Alissa's skating, she herself is an obvious angel, but her skating sucks big time for me. SAFE skater.

You know something? I get not liking a skater. I truly do.

However, why on earth such a posting when there was no question whatsoever tonight the best skater of the night *is* the Champion? Especially when said skater has had the career Alissa's had and is having the Season of her life this year.

Not only do I not get it, but it's also sad too.

Okay...I've been battling a bit of a bug this week and have fallen off my exercise routine. Today was the first day I've felt like a human being again, so decided to go on the Elliptical for the Final Flight.

Thank God I did that. Otherwise, I might not have made it through it all. :biggrin:

I have been a fan of Alissa's for a long, long time. Became an even bigger fan after meeting her at Skate Canada in Ottawa a couple of years ago, but what really sealed the deal w/her for me was watching her w/the little ones that night. Like the rest of the fans, I was wondering if we'd ever see her have a year like this year and...I still don't quite believe she's now a Two Time United States Champion!!!

I almost fell off the EM when the final marks and standings came up. :biggrin:

BTW, there is one person missing in the Thank You's I'm seeing here towards those who have worked w/Alissa this year, and that's Brian Boitano. If Brian hadn't said to Alissa when she was seriously considering retiring after last season to stop and think if this was how she wanted to end her skating career, w/horrible season she had last year, and to make sure she had no regrets when looking back ten years from now.

I don't think that's going to be a problem for Alissa now. :biggrin:

Congratulations to one heck of a class act and Good Luck to Alissa at Worlds!!!