Ladies FS | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

austrian_waltz

Rinkside
If Alissa skates like she did here and at GP Final, and Rachael skates her utmost and pretty clean, then yes I think they can win the USA 3 ladies berths for next year. Not much room for mistakes though.

agreed. they're gonna have to work their ***** off but i have faith.

Last edited by a moderator:

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's been so shocking to see Mirai mess up her spins this year of all things. It's disappointing. This wasn't her year. I just hope she has enough fight and love for the sport for next year. And let's hope that injuries don't get in the way of her improving what she needs to improve.

Alissa, though.... wow. I just had this little feeling that she would regain her title. It fought with my fear of her messing up but I really did have this feeling. I adore her program. Her short program too. I can't say enough how happy I am for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think I'm more excited about Zawadski and Gao than I have been any US lady in a while (though I've always enjoyed Rachael), in terms of being both solid performers yet also very exciting. Lamm needs a little more expression but she was so steady.

Happy for Alissa but I did find her a little meh, just to be honest. Not the blowout I was expecting in terms of her performance -- of course her score was quite commanding! But she fought for it and didn't melt down though she looked pretty nervous as she took the ice. Good for her for staying in and coming back to win the title again!

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Alissa will need to win the bronze at Worlds for the U.S to earn back 3 spots since the best Flatt can finish is about 10th. The U.S has handicapped itself with their ridiculous scoring and World team selections here, but still have an outside shot of 3 spots. Czisny can place that high but it would require her best skates and the competition to be not so great. Flatt can place as high as 9th or 10th but only skating alot better than she did here. With Agnes and Gao coming up hopefully they can have 3 spots. It would be great to see both of those ladies on the World team next year.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I found it extremely difficult to appreciate Alyssa's performance because I was too busy hoping that she'd land all her jumps. I'm glad she did because she is a very deserving champion.

As I said, it's unfortunately for Mirai but at 16/17 you just don't quit after having won the bronze medal at your home championships. She's got a gold, silver and bronze now. Not too shabby. I too found Frank's comment rather mean-spirited and when your young charge has thrown down all she could in the given circumstances, saying, "You threw it away, I'm sorry" in a mean way was unnecessary. I hope she develops a true lutz and salchow and keeps working. When all things are in place, we might be looking at the Sochi gold medallist. It'll take a lot of work, however.

hongligl

Final Flight
I'm not trying to trash Rachael, but her program just doesn't suit her. She's not sexy nor cute, and it's hard to look at the hard effort trying to be sexy or cute. I'm not sure what would be her style, classy and elegant don't seem the right ones either, maybe sweet and nextdoor girl type program, or try something powful or joyful?

christinaskater

Medalist
I loved Alissa's program! She was absolutely amazing! I am so proud of her! Well-deserved 2x US National Champion! This time there are no questions! She really gave an exquisite performance!

2x US Champion and Grand Prix Final Champion

I do hope she does well in the 4 continents and worlds!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Alissa will need to win the bronze at Worlds for the U.S to earn back 3 spots since the best Flatt can finish is about 10th. She can do it but it would require her best skates and the competition to be not so great. With Agnes and Gao coming up hopefully they can have 3 spots. It would be great to see both of those ladies on the World team next year.

What are you talking about? Rachael has finished higher than 10th at both her worlds appearances.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I'm not trying to trash Rachael, but her program just doesn't suit her. She's not sexy nor cute, and it's hard to look at the hard effort trying to be sexy or cute. I'm not sure what would be her style, classy and elegant don't seem the right ones either, maybe sweet and nextdoor girl type program, or try something powful or joyful?

Thank you for expressing your view in a nice way, hongligl. It is difficult for some to be as gracious. I too find her LP to be a bit cumbersome because it doesn't play to Rachael's strengths. I don't think she's as dramatic as she is joyful. Her East of Eden is my favourite program this year, just edging Alyssa's FP for me. I admire Rachael because she is not as gifted as others, but that doesn't necessarily mean she isn't successful.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ando, Asada, Murakami, Kim, Czisny, Korpi, Kostner..... Not really sure who the other two "guaranteed" to beat Flatt.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What are you talking about? Rachael has finished higher than 10th at both her worlds appearances.

Yeah but she is on the way down now. She isnt doing triple-triples anymore which is what allowed her to place in the 5-9 range, and her long program this year is godawful bad. Without those she drops several places in potential which puts her 8-10 area if she skates well.

Look at how well she skated in Vancouver (for her) and only came 7th. It is highly unlikely she will reach that level again. If she skates 90-95% as well as Vancouver she could come 9th or 10th, but if she skates like she did here she will be well out of the top 10.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I loved Alissa's program! She was absolutely amazing! I am so proud of her! Well-deserved 2x US National Champion! This time there are no questions! She really gave an exquisite performance!

2x US Champion and Grand Prix Final Champion

I do hope she does well in the 4 continents and worlds!

That's true. That's the sweetest thing. This time there can be no question that Alissa outskated the rest.

Too bad some posters can't appreciate the beauty of her skating and are being extremely viscious about it. But it's too bad for them.

reynycpr

On the Ice
wow Czisny even got a Level 4 on her step... didn't see that one coming :biggrin:
yet another Level 3 on her layback :scratch:

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Yeah but she is on the way down now. She isnt doing triple-triples anymore which is what allowed her to place in the 5-9 range, and her long program this year is godawful bad. Without those she drops several places in potential which puts her 8-10 area if she skates well.

Look at how well she skated in Vancouver (for her) and only came 7th. It is highly unlikely she will reach that level again. If she skates 90-95% as well as Vancouver she could come 9th or 10th, but if she skates like she did here she will be well out of the top 10.

Heaven forbid Rachael skate again if the best she can do is finish 8th to 10th in the world.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Well, let's just see what happens. I hate to admit it but Mirai has not been as good as she was last year either so there's no guarantee she would have place better than her 7th place last year either.

There's no need to be viscious and rude about any skater.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is so much unpredictability for the ladies on the international scene this season. Reigning World Champ Mao Asada has skated miserably, having not won any medal on the GP series and losing her Japanese title. Miki Ando was expected to win the GPF, only to completely wilt in the SP and end up off the podium altogether. Carolina Kostner was expected to win Europeans, only to manage 6th in the SP and win the silver behind all but forgotten Sarah Meier. All of the ladies have had their fair share of inconsistent moments. Actually, if you ask me, Czisny has been the most consistent lady in the world this season, and I never thought I would ever say that! She has Skate Canada gold, TEB bronze, GPF gold, and now Nationals gold. I think anything can happen in Tokyo.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
OMG....this is ridiculous. seriously. no talk of what people actually accomplished tonight. all three fought problems or demons this season.....and rose to the occasion tonight. worlds is still two months away. But whatever: ok, so how's this: Rachel can easily do top 10 at worlds even in this 3x3 "free" moment; and how about remembering that she started this season wanting to up her 3x3 arsenal only to suffer injury and doubt and frustration and had to fight her way back just to 3x2 form. And those weren't so great int he fall. Her jumps were higher and lighter at nationals and there is no reason to think she won't continue to work on them/perfect them. Maybe even bring back a 3x3 or two.

For Alissa - who knows. I somehow doubt her team will add difficulty now - rather, I suspect they will push for more speed, height, confidence. But even that - on top of what she already just accomplished which gave me goose bumps - would be a pleasure to watch.

Sure, I want 3 spots for the ladies; I'm crushed for 2 years in a row that we don't have that (even though even with 3 there are like 6 women I want to see at worlds). But at the same time, I'm so happy for what they were able to do tonight. that said, I'm done with the buzz kill and going to bed.