Ladies FS | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

heyang

Record Breaker
Thanks sooooo much herro!!!!!

Caroline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well, not great. BUT, I'm thinking she really is on her way back; she just needs more time. She is gutsy to keep going and she is looking to be in good shape. I think this could bode very well for her; buckle down and fix stuff starting now, and next season, I bet we see a very different CZ.

I agree. I thought her speed improved and there was improvement on her jump technique. Beautiful spin with the pearl at the end.

For the sake of her confidence, I wish she had not competed this year. You could tell that she really wanted a good free skate after her short program and some of her energy deflated. It's tough to compete in an environement where you were on top and then have fallen. I think a post Olympic year is the perfect year for a 'vet' who needed to address a lot of technique issues to go off radar for one season. Oh, well - I hope she realizes that she's got a lot of support and that she's improved, regardless of her placement.

There's something about Caroline that just draws me in. In many ways, she's similar to Alyssa - both beautiful, flexible and wonderful spinners with jump issues. So, Caroline, keep in working because Alyssa is, too.

Who knows why USFS would rather just go straight roster rather than use executive discretion and put actual thought into their selections....bah!

I think the skaters, coaches and local club officials like it this way. Let them skate for it, rather than leave it up to "executive discretion."

Jennifer Krik was a wonderful skater. :love: She had neat and tidy jumps, like Kristi Yamaguchi and Tara Lipinski, rather than big ones. She was able to develop a distinctive and eye-pleasing style, best shown in her routine to the Chicago soundtrack.

Kirk made the Nationals podium only once, a bronze in 2004. But she went to Worlds twice, because in 2005 bronze medalist Kimmie Meissner was too young. Jenny had bad luck at Worlds, being sick both times. If I remember correctly, in 2004 she was so sick she had to withdraw after the short program.

Her career was cut short by an eating disorder just as she was coming into her own. :cry:

I didn't realize that the eating disorder had such an effect on her career. I loved watching her. Another program that she delivered beautifully was her "Die Fledermaus" skate. The frothy music of Johann Strauss perfectly suited her deft artistry.

fairly4

Medalist
Alissa another great skate, keep believing, congratulations on winning your 2nd national title, good luck in worlds and 4cc
Rachel--good skate, keep it up congratulations on winning silver medal. good luck at 4cc and worlds.
Mirai--decent skate-congratulations on winning bronze,
Agnes--congratualtions on winning pewter, keep it up. good luck at junior worlds.
Christina Gao, good luck at junior worlds. keep believing.
Courtney Hicks good luck at junior worlds. congratulations on winning junior national title.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Birukova, Shelepen and Ovcharova are past their growth spurts from the looks of it (and are already 15, 16 years old) , Tuktamysheva, Radinova, Lipitniskaya most certainly are not, as for Sotnikova, Agafonova, and Sheveleva, it's hard to tell. There are seriously so many talented girls though that you can bet at least a few of them will survive puberty and be forces.

Isn't Ovcharova still only 14? And i think Shelepen is about 15. They could still grow a few inches in the next couple years. Look at the growth spurt of Christina Gao. She was 15 last year at nationals and this year must have been about 4 inches taller.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I finally show the lps, strange competition, left me with bitter taste a little. I found the critics to Caroll about the way he spoke to Mirai in KnC exaggeration, as there is a coach athelte relationship people dont get sometimes. I didnt mind that.
But then I read what he said to Hersh and I wondered why Mirai is paying this man, one thing to critique her , and another to say stuff that make Mirai lazy and untrained etc, in press? Was it necessary for him not to ruin his reputation? The mooning point was shocking to me, I would never expect a man of his age to say something like this public for a little lady.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Frank is just frustrated. For Mirai to be making silly little mistakes like on her spins is something that shouldn't be happening. Also i get the feeling that he thinks that Mirai is not working hard enough. It's time for Mirai to stop playing with her skating career and get serious. She's wasting her talent while someone with inferior talent is going to Worlds again. And i don't mean Alissa.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Nagasu often says stuff like that HERSELF...so it's not like Carroll is digging up dirt or anything.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont think it is the same for your coach to say it in public, rather than yourself saying I didnt prepare well etc. It makes a whole difference displeasant aura. It realy sounds like coach wants the failure reason to be off him and he is giving her away.
And really he had to say he thought a 17 year old was mooning the audience? It is wrong in so many levels.

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Anybody have a link to press conferences?
I'm looking at youtube and not finding anything. Is it only for IN subscribers?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Here's a link to Phil Hersh's story with Frank's comments on Mirai. He made them directly to Phil.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...lympics-czisny-flatt-nagasu-who-makes-it.html

I was a bit shocked myself that he felt the need to air all that out in public. I'm worried about their relationship.

It seems a bit of a harsh reaction to a freeskate with a few mistakes that won the bronze. I've always known Frank was tough and I'm sure there is truth to his words. I doubt he would just make everything up. On the other hand, we don't know Mirai's side of the story. And it would be unbalanced anyway - a 17-year-old versus a giant force in the sport like Frank Carrol.

Man, the skating world would must be rough.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
``She had such a great season it was hard to get her juices going again,'' Carroll said. ``And not having Evan in the rink beside her every day to kick her butt and tell her when she was ridiculous also was a factor.

``She has been a bit all over the place. Sometimes I don't understand where she is coming from. I feel she trained better than what I got (Saturday), but she didn't get her act together until about three weeks ago. That's not really long enough.

I think he was just really mad that he blew it again. She let the fact that Alissa skated well and got good scores affect her instead of rising to the occasion and using the energy like we saw so nicely in the men's competition on sunday. She just gave up before she even started and that is not the sign of a champion. NOthing will ever go perfectly. There will always be a distraction, a set back, ,an injury. A champion rises above all that and relies on his or her training.

Mirai is like Sasha in that way, set dosen't have the dedication to put in the hours in training and then lets the headgames come in when the lights go up. I really hope Mirai figures out how to conquer this, but she will have a long wait to prove herself again. By next fall the sting of letting this opportunity go won't be as fresh as if she competed in March.

Bottom line. Yes, Frank was harsh, but I think he is perfectly justified in being so.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think he was just really mad that he blew it again. She let the fact that Alissa skated well and got good scores affect her instead of rising to the occasion and using the energy like we saw so nicely in the men's competition on sunday. She just gave up before she even started and that is not the sign of a champion. NOthing will ever go perfectly. There will always be a distraction, a set back, ,an injury. A champion rises above all that and relies on his or her training.

Mirai is like Sasha in that way, set dosen't have the dedication to put in the hours in training and then lets the headgames come in when the lights go up. I really hope Mirai figures out how to conquer this, but she will have a long wait to prove herself again. By next fall the sting of letting this opportunity go won't be as fresh as if she competed in March.

Bottom line. Yes, Frank was harsh, but I think he is perfectly justified in being so.

But does he have to be that in public? What purpose is served?

ETA: That tidbit about Evan pushing Mirai last year was kinda cool to know though.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think he was just really mad that he blew it again...Bottom line. Yes, Frank was harsh, but I think he is perfectly justified in being so.
Everybody can be mad in the heat of the moment, Plushenko was accused for attacking Lysacek in defeat, Caroll is 3 times his age, he is her coach - her own team and in that aspect he is not much more graceful in defeat either. Especially the 70 year old coach against a 17 girl..He should have learnt to protect his skaters by now, he could have gone to the rink and tell her all that privately.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What worries me about Mirai is it seems like she was beaten before she even took the ice. She was slow she had no attack and just never had any energy. That is inexcusable to someone like Frank.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Everybody can be mad in the heat of the moment, Plushenko was accused for attacking Lysacek in defeat, Caroll is 3 times his age, he is her coach - her own team and in that aspect he is not much more graceful in defeat either. Especially the 70 year old coach against a 17 girl..He should have learnt to protect his skaters by now, he could have gone to the rink and tell her all that privately.

I agree, seniorita. I don't understand the need to trash her like that publicly, whether it's true or not.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But even Sasha would fight in her programs when they didn't go well. A Olympic silver medal World medals and Grand Prix medals show that. Mirai will sometimes just collapse when things go wrong. At least she didn't totally fall apart Saturday. I guess that's something.

seniorita

Record Breaker
But she had the best sp and in the lp she just stepped out of 2axel and the mistake on the spin, it is not like she collapsed or melted down, fell etc, I dont understand , everyone can mistep on the entrance spin, Yuna has done it, Dai has done it. Ok she didnt have the perfect skate but when i was reading the thread I thought she blew it. I dont understand the such disappointment for her skate.

Layfan

Record Breaker
But she had the best sp and in the lp she just stepped out of 2axel and the mistake on the spin, it is not like she collapsed or melted down, fell etc, I dont understand , everyone can mistep on the entrance spin, Yuna has done it, Dai has done it. Ok she didnt have the perfect skate but when i was reading the thread I thought she blew it. I dont understand the such disappointment for her skate.

I think the disappointment is that the mistakes were so avoidable - at least the one in her spin and it was clearly nerves and distraction.

But I agree: She did NOT have a meltdown of epic porportions. She didn't fall to 10th like Alissa did last year. She didn't fall to oblivion like Carolina Kostner has done so many times. She won the bronze medal!

Sheesh people.
And that Joyce lady made such a big deal about Mirai NEVER winning a competition after finishing 1st in the short, which first of all is false.
And besides, it's true that last year, she didn't stay in first after the short at nationals. But she gave a completely awesome and near perfect skate. She didn't make any stupid mistakes at all. People always seem to remember only the color of the medals.