Ladies FS | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ando, Asada, Murakami, Kim, Czisny, Korpi, Kostner..... Not really sure who the other two "guaranteed" to beat Flatt.

Have you seen Korpi from Europeans? If that Kiira shows up in Tokyo, I don't think she's "guaranteed" to beat Rachael.

It's been so shocking to see Mirai mess up her spins this year of all things. It's disappointing. This wasn't her year. I just hope she has enough fight and love for the sport for next year. And let's hope that injuries don't get in the way of her improving what she needs to improve.

Alissa, though.... wow. I just had this little feeling that she would regain her title. It fought with my fear of her messing up but I really did have this feeling. I adore her program. Her short program too. I can't say enough how happy I am for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know the feeling! I was almost too scared to watch Alissa, but I'm so glad I did. She held on to everything, and her spins were magnifique. If I could figure out where to write a thank you note to Yuka and Jason, I'd have one in the mail by Monday. They just did everything right, from the kind of program they planned for her to the magic they worked on her confidence.

And Rallycairn, I share your excitement for Agnes and Christina. They have such style and ability. I don't know which one I like better. Both were musical, graceful, and athletic in combination. And if Gao can jump like that in a year where she grew four inches, I feel pretty confident about her technique. What lovely soft landings she has! (The fabriholic in me compels me to repeat that I love her dress, especially with that contrasting ornament on it. These things matter.)

I'm sorry Mirai couldn't keep it together for the long program. Sadly ironic that she so messed up her spin, considering what a tremendous spinner she is. But as they often say, the ice is slippery. There are no guarantees, and all of these ladies fought to the finish. Even Caroline Zhang didn't give up, though I found it heartbreaking to watch her. I hope she keeps going, though, and regains her mastery.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
As I said, it's unfortunately for Mirai but at 16/17 you just don't quit after having won the bronze medal at your home championships. She's got a gold, silver and bronze now. Not too shabby. I too found Frank's comment rather mean-spirited and when your young charge has thrown down all she could in the given circumstances, saying, "You threw it away, I'm sorry" in a mean way was unnecessary. I hope she develops a true lutz and salchow and keeps working. When all things are in place, we might be looking at the Sochi gold medallist. It'll take a lot of work, however.

I agree - she's young, talented, and she did have a success by winning the bronze medal. I definitely don't think she should give it up, and I don't see her doing that. As for Frank Carroll and his comment to her, I am wondering if this is the way he and Mirai just communicate. Mirai seems to be the type to say what she's feeling, and I think perhaps that may be how they handle things. I don't know, just speculating. It does sound kind of harsh to the audience, but maybe that's how they deal with things?

I'm not trying to trash Rachael, but her program just doesn't suit her. She's not sexy nor cute, and it's hard to look at the hard effort trying to be sexy or cute. I'm not sure what would be her style, classy and elegant don't seem the right ones either, maybe sweet and nextdoor girl type program, or try something powful or joyful?

I think powerful/joyful seems to fit her well. I tend to like her SPs better, and usually she goes for that style in the SP (although of course she changed it this time).

Although, I remember seeing a performance of hers from her junior years in which she had a bit more elegant style (I guess it could fit into the sweet category), and it worked. I just don't see her as that type of skater now.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Actually, if you ask me, Czisny has been the most consistent lady in the world this season, and I never thought I would ever say that! She has Skate Canada gold, TEB bronze, GPF gold, and now Nationals gold. I think anything can happen in Tokyo.

Actually, you're right! The only times she has had a meltdown have been sectionals and the nationals send-off, both in Michigan.

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
I agree with Marrymeyunakim. The more and more I watched Mirai's short program I just thought "she doesn't look ready, and probably shouldn't go to worlds." It's true, she hasn't really improved at all over last year, and in fact, she doesn't even look as good as she did last year. At the end of the season, she left us with a stellar performance at the Olympics, and at Worlds, probably one of the best short programs we've seen since the inception of the new system. I thought even with her disappointing final result there, she'd feel determined, and be inspired by touring with SOI. Everything just looks sluggish. She's not as fast as last year, her spins aren't as fast, she's not attacking the jumps the way she started doing at the end of last season, and she doesn't seem as sure in her choreography and performance.

Mirai is without a doubt my favorite skater, but as soon as she started the program, I knew my inklings were going to be correct, and she just didn't deliver. She's got more potential than anyone in our ladies field. If this doesn't end up entirely deflating her already weak confidence - and I hope it doesn't - this could be the moment she really starts believing in some of the things she tells the reporters and really gets serious. It's disappointing to see, but she needs something that's going to get her a little more fired up.

Alissa on the other hand, I knew she was going to win the title when she was about halfway through the program. I hope that now that she has started to build a pretty good run of good performances, that, coupled with her improved technique, will help her carry confidence into the World Championships.

The SP was a lot better than the FP overall, IMO. My favorite skaters tonight were Agnes and Yasmin. Christina was good too.

Mirai didn't go out there like a champion. Rachael apparently had little left in the tank and fell below her norm - but got scored as if she brought it. Alissa was cautious and bland until she finished her jumps. Meh. I don't see either of the top 2 having a great showing at Worlds.

I think Mirai should go train alongside Mao or Daisuke and learn how to fight and deal with pressure. Rachael should change her FP to Tosca or Aranjuez. Alissa should quit while she's ahead. Agnes and Joelle should go to Worlds since Yasmin is too young. Problem solved.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I'm sure Mirai feels gutted but she's a firey young lady, she'll bounce back. I totally agree with the need to improve. Since the Olympics it's hard to see the areas in which Mirai has improved. I'm sure her injury has something to do with this. I'd die of happiness if I saw a true outside edge for her lutz.

lavender

Record Breaker
I can't seem to totally enjoy Alissa's win but we will have to wait and see if we can gain 2 spots. I get that if clean there are so many skaters from Japan, Europeans and Korea that have it over Rachel. However although I don't like her skating at all she is consistent which can get cha very far if others mess up. I'll give Rach a chance because who knows what can happen. What else can we do.

I can't believe I'm saying this because I love Frank but I can see Mirai fitting in better with Yuka and Jason.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
The SP was a lot better than the FP overall, IMO. My favorite skaters tonight were Agnes and Yasmin. Christina was good too.

Mirai didn't go out there like a champion. Rachael apparently had little left in the tank and fell below her norm - but got scored as if she brought it. Alissa was cautious and bland until she finished her jumps. Meh. I don't see either of the top 2 having a great showing at Worlds.

I think Mirai should go train alongside Mao or Daisuke and learn how to fight and deal with pressure. Rachael should change her FP to Tosca or Aranjuez. Alissa should quit while she's ahead. Agnes and Joelle should go to Worlds since Yasmin is too young. Problem solved.

I got shivers down my spine as you mentioned Tosca! But if Rachael does EoE as well as she did, even in Michelle's shadow, I'm sure Rachael could skate a passionate Tosca as well... Her LP is a bit gimmicky for my tastes, but never count Rachael out.

Reading your post makes me realise that I love the fact that Alyssa executed her jumps well. Upon review, I think she was a bit cautious. Still, a brilliant skate and well-deserved finish.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Have you seen Korpi from Europeans? If that Kiira shows up in Tokyo, I don't think she's "guaranteed" to beat Rachael.

Hence the quotes around guaranteed. pangtongfan said that the best Flatt could do was tenth. I really cannot think of nine skaters who are guaranteed to be ahead of her.

Flatt has beaten both Kostner and Murakami this season, for example. And Korpi.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
The Euros ended too quickly, so I decided to continue my FS weekend and watch US ladies. Here is my opinion. I'm not biased since I'm Russian and don't really like these girls except maybe Ashley and Alissa (but not her jumps).
Caroline is done. I'm sorry to say that, but I think so. It was nice to see her pearl spin again, but it's not enough. Hope she will have some success, but not on the highest level.
Ashley (( Huge dissapointment for me ((
The youngsters didn't impress me, maybe because I got used to see Russian wonderbabies with 3-3s at the age of 12-13 and after them Lam or Siraj aren't impressive at all. Though Yasmin has one of the best choreogaphy here and Lam has some good qualities too, but their jumps are tiny and not solid.
Gao is trying to be like Yu-Na too much, I think she should find her own way, but her 3F-3T was really good.
Zawadzki is the one who really can jump and has nice spins too, but she lacks in presentation and not graceful at all.
And then... I'm happy for Alissa, well deserved first place! Her jumps are scary, but she has everything else and when she is on... she is on :)
I'm sorry, but NO WAY Flatt should be ahead of Nagasu. Her PCS should've been lower than all the other girls in the last warm-up, and much lower. I'd say 10 or more points behind Czisny and 7-8 behind Nagasu. She really doesn't have anything but the jumps, and her jumps are not the best quality either. I really have no idea what the judges were thinking. Yes, Mirai and Alissa are two headcases, but it's not like with Flatt in the team there is more hope for the three spots next year. I appreciate her spirit, but can she just go to college finally? Yes, Mirai shoud be behind her in TES, but ahead in PCS and overall.

Last edited:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Yes, yes, yes! I too am very happy for Alissa, and this is a very popular victory for her. It seems like she is taking a cue from Rachael's long-time reputation - now she, Alissa, seems to be the steady, old reliable one that we can depend on. Hope she continues this trend!

emma

Record Breaker
I think the level 3 is from her not holding one of the positions long enough (is it 6? 8?) for an extra level.

I think it's 8 and I remember thinking when I watched - oh no, too fast, she rushed it! I am so happy for her, though. just delighted!

Ambivalent

On the Ice
pangtongfan is just not worth listening to. Instead of respectfully talking about Rachael's weaknesses and offering suggestions for improvement, he/she just cuts her down. I'm sure the girl is trying her best. She'll never be Katarina Witt, but give the girl some credit for putting in the effort!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I got shivers down my spine as you mentioned Tosca! But if Rachael does EoE as well as she did, even in Michelle's shadow, I'm sure Rachael could skate a passionate Tosca as well... Her LP is a bit gimmicky for my tastes, but never count Rachael out.

Reading your post makes me realise that I love the fact that Alyssa executed her jumps well. Upon review, I think she was a bit cautious. Still, a brilliant skate and well-deserved finish.

Maybe she could skate to Much Ado about Nothing or music from the Speed soundtrack?

Layfan

Record Breaker

Alissa is a soft and quiet skater and her choreo this year embraces that. Some people don't like it I guess but I hope the world judges do. Let's not forget that Alissa is the GPF winner. She's been the most successful ladies skater in the world this year so I wouldn't count her out for worlds.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Maybe she could skate to Much Ado about Nothing or music from the Speed soundtrack?

I haven't heard of any of those, but if it's passionate or joyous, I think Rachael could pull it off!

Off topic, but did MK really skate to "Winter", as in synonymous-with-AlexeiYagudin-Winter? Where can I see it?!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
And Rallycairn, I share your excitement for Agnes and Christina. They have such style and ability. I don't know which one I like better. Both were musical, graceful, and athletic in combination. And if Gao can jump like that in a year where she grew four inches, I feel pretty confident about her technique. What lovely soft landings she has! (The fabriholic in me compels me to repeat that I love her dress, especially with that contrasting ornament on it. These things matter.)

Definitely two thumbs up! As you said, hard to pick a favorite between Zawadski's smooth elegance and Gao's amazing combination of energy and refinement.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Alissa is a soft and quiet skater and her choreo this year embraces that. Some people don't like it I guess but I hope the world judges do. Let's not forget that Alissa is the GPF winner. She's been the most successful ladies skater in the world this year so I wouldn't count her out for worlds.

I agree. There's something so lyrical about Alissa. It might not be to everyone's cup of tea, but in her post-skate interview she said she wanted to show how much she loved skating. Her FP is the perfect vehicle.