Ladies FS | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

Nadine

Record Breaker
What the lowdown on Agnes Zawazki? I mean how tall are her parents? How tall is she expected to grow? She's 16, right? So I'm wondering if she'll grow even more than her present 5'6"? What's her record in skating? Consistent? Inconsistent? Won any championships in juniors? What jumps is she consistent on? What's been her hardest layout (6, 7 triple jumps)? Has she ever skated clean? If so, how many times?

Lol, now I'm interested, will probably look these answers up myself. :) and more!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Oh, baloney. ;) That was great. Alissa was wonderful. Agnes was super, along with Vanessa Lam. I liked Siraj, also Joelle Forte. True, Mirai didn't have her usual spark and Rachael was only OK. Well, onward and upward!

Nope, the BEST competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win! That didn't happen tonight, neither Mirai or Rachael skated their best, nor did Ashley, et al. Fact.

lavender

Record Breaker
I do not believe that Rachel or Miri are the future for American Ladies skating or that they are going to challenge for medals in Sochi, it will be Agnes who will challenge for an olympic medal, and will get the American ladies BACK on the podium.

Well probably not since Rachel will more than likely be focusing on school. Agnes can't take both spots so it's possible Mirai along with the other talented ones might challenge for the Olympics and a medal. With all that said these U.S. girls will have their hands full because I think there will be a few Russians and Japanese ladies that will have a lot to say about that.

What the lowdown on Agnes Zawazki? I mean how tall are her parents? How tall is she expected to grow? She's 16, right? So I'm wondering if she'll grow even more than her present 5'6"? What's her record in skating? Consistent? Inconsistent? Won any championships in juniors? What jumps is she consistent on? What's been her hardest layout (6, 7 triple jumps)? Has she ever skated clean? If so, how many times?

Lol, now I'm interested, will probably look these answers up myself. and more!

That's what I'm wondering Nadine. Her body looks older than a 16 yr old and she's still probably growing. Agnes's been inconsistent throughout the gp series. I don't think she had any good skates (long program) throughout. This was a cleanest skate this season.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Quick thoughts:

Glad Czisny was able to continue her record season with her 2nd Natl title- this time actually deserved 100%.

I actually thought Flatt held up well considering a) she was defending a title, which is always tough and b) she went after Czisny and Nagasu, who were both strong.

I actually think there's a valid argument for placing Flatt BEHIND Nagasu...the latter's botched spin was what- 4, 5 points?

For the first time, I'm nervous about sending Rachel to worlds. The int'l judges are not receiving her well even when she is clean. I'm thinking Skate America- I mean, with worlds being in Japan and all...Czisny going in as National champ...I'm NOT optimistic about 3 spots for 2012 at all.

Re. Zawadzki- she's powerful, can do the jumps, made a splash in her debut. But complete package? HECK NO.

Gao is getting there. But don't see anything spectacular that would put her among the best in the World yet. Next year could be her year.

Wagner- sad to say but with the upcoming talent it might be the beginning of the end for her. She continues to bury herself in the standings with botched SPs...too much ground to make up in the FS if the others bring it.

Zhang- clearly going through a transitional period. I wonder if she will emerge victorious on the other side...

More later.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I say BRING IT ON, BRING IT ON!!!! I want to see the Russians, Japanese and American ladies go head-to-head, and I'll bow down to the the winner! :bow: (oops, and you forgot one phenomenal Korean)!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Congrats to Alissa.
Mirai wont be sent at worlds? depressed. :(

Yeah..... depressing.

I wonder if she'll go to Four Continents. If she does, I hope she puts her heart and soul into it and ends the season on a good note. I don't think Mirai's ever been to that competition before!

lavender

Record Breaker
Well I say BRING IT ON, BRING IT ON!!!! I want to see the Russians, Japanese and American ladies go head-to-head, and I'll bow down to the the winner! :bow: (oops, and you forgot one phenomenal Korean)!

I agree. Will Yu na be skating in Sochi?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Quick thoughts:

Glad Czisny was able to continue her record season with her 2nd Natl title- this time actually deserved 100%.

I actually thought Flatt held up well considering a) she was defending a title, which is always tough and b) she went after Czisny and Nagasu, who were both strong.

I actually think there's a valid argument for placing Flatt BEHIND Nagasu...the latter's botched spin was what- 4, 5 points?

For the first time, I'm nervous about sending Rachel to worlds. The int'l judges are not receiving her well even when she is clean. I'm thinking Skate America- I mean, with worlds being in Japan and all...Czisny going in as National champ...I'm NOT optimistic about 3 spots for 2012 at all.

Re. Zawadzki- she's powerful, can do the jumps, made a splash in her debut. But complete package? HECK NO.

Gao is getting there. But don't see anything spectacular that would put her among the best in the World yet. Next year could be her year.

Wagner- sad to say but with the upcoming talent it might be the beginning of the end for her. She continues to bury herself in the standings with botched SPs...too much ground to make up in the FS if the others bring it.

Zhang- clearly going through a transitional period. I wonder if she will emerge victorious on the other side...

More later.

interesting thoughts.

Mirai was actually quite a bit behind Rachael so there must have been something else. More URs than Rachael or something. I'm too depressed about Mirai to look at the protocols.

The good thing about Alissa is that the international judges receive her well when she does well. Just hope she does well.

Rachael - she has to really bring it on at worlds or the judges might pounce. The bad news? She's been shaky in her last two competitions. The good news? Great new SP that she'll get to perfect before worlds!

So I'm staying optimistic.

Wouldn't it be shocking if Zhang managed to get used to her new tecnique and new body and become the U.S hope? Not holding my breath but you never know.

Ashley had rotten luck this year with illnesses. So did Mirai with injuries. Rachael too.

Isn't there a way to watch the medal ceremony and the press conferences?? How come Icenetwork doesn't have those things?

R.D.

Record Breaker
More

Siraj: Really impressed by her. She has a lot of talent. Will be interesting to see where she ends up, but of course I'm careful not to expect too much.

Lam had a great SP, but I thought her FS was just alright.

Gilles was Gilles again- next year we need to give someone else a chance at the GP.

People counted Czisny out after her horrible meltdown at Nationals last year. We thought she was done. Even she did...for the moment. But to come back, win SC, medal at TEB...win at GPF in a tough field...and THEN win Nationals in the most competitive ladies' field I've ever seen- Wow. To think with all the upcoming talent, our best hopes hinge on a has-been veteran who has been around for nearly 8 years. :biggrin:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well probably not since Rachel will more than likely be focusing on school. Agnes can't take both spots so it's possible Mirai along with the other talented ones might challenge for the Olympics and a medal. With all that said these U.S. girls will have their hands full because I think there will be a few Russians and Japanese ladies that will have a lot to say about that.

Dont forget about Yu Na Kim. Granted she might not go to Sochi but if she does she is a huge threat, if not even the favorite again.

I think Agnes and Gao are the two with the best chance to challenge for a medal for the U.S in 2014 but wouldnt totally count out Mirai either.

Nadine

Record Breaker
To tell the truth I hope the Russians do good in Sochi. I feel bad for them, such a great tradition in not only skating, but art, culture, literature, ballet, history, etc. So to be shut out of a gold medal at the 2010 Olympics in Canada must've been heartbreaking.

I can't wait to see what Mishin's little prodigy will put forth next year. Right now she doesn't impress me, too underdeveloped, baby, nothing to get excited about. But that Adelina S. is the one I'm impressed with. Here's hoping she brings forth the goods, same with Japan, Korea, and the USA.

I want a real competition in the same vein as Zhenya vs. Yagudin/Evan, Brian Boitano vs. Brian Orser, Katarina Witt vs. Rosalynn Sumners/Debbie Thomas, Tara Lipinski vs. Michelle Kwan, Oksana Baiul vs. Nancy Kerrigan, and on & on.

Right now I honestly don't see any serious challengers to Yuna Kim in the Ladies; she has fully rotated big high powerful 3/3 combos., consistency, beauty, well-deserved PCS, speed, et al. Nobody's going to touch her record for a long time coming, and rightfully so. She is whom ALL others are measured by. None others come close unless she makes a mistake, fact.

The USA ladies have their work cut out for them, they still have a looooooooooong way to go to get on Yuna's level, but I'm crossing my fingers one of the youngsters will one day attain her level (Agnes & Christina? ;) ).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mirai was actually quite a bit behind Rachael so there must have been something else. More URs than Rachael or something. I'm too depressed about Mirai to look at the protocols.

haven't looked at the score sheet but it looks like URs did Nagasu in. At TEB, even with a botched spin she was able to get silver.

I felt really bad for her when they showed her backstage. She looked gutted. To be the leader after the SP- and then, like that, off the world team- ouch. She now gets to feel Wagner's pain from last year. (Yes, I know it was the Olys, but situation is similar nontheless)

The good thing about Alissa is that the international judges receive her well when she does well. Just hope she does well.

Cross fingers, knock wood, eat lucky charms, pray to the heavens...

Rachael - she has to really bring it on at worlds or the judges might pounce. The bad news? She's been shaky in her last two competitions. The good news? Great new SP that she'll get to perfect before worlds!

So I'm staying optimistic.

Looks like Flatt wants to do 4CC. so let's see how she is received. If Flatt can stay in the top 10- maybe hang around 8th or 9th...and Czisny skates like she did at the GPF, getting ~175 pts...that should put her 3rd-5th and we MIGHT have a chance. But I really think it's an outside one at best.

Wouldn't it be shocking if Zhang managed to get used to her new tecnique and new body and become the U.S hope? Not holding my breath but you never know.

Some beginning to count her out already. But I would not do that yet. If it's 2013 and she's still floundering, then OK, she's probably done. But no one said that overhauls happen overnight.

Ashley had rotten luck this year with illnesses. So did Mirai with injuries. Rachael too.

Everyone (was) is in the same boat.

How does Mirai botching a spin and losing 4 or 5 points for it translate into putting Flatt behind?

I hope you don't mean, if Mirai had not done that, and if someone else had done this and if the other guy hadn't done the other, then...

Wow, a bunch of sour grapes tonight! Better to be a lover than a hater! :p

:yes:

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
For now, CONGRATULATIONS to Alissa, Rachael, and Mirai. :) Do well at Worlds to earn 3 spots back next year please. So long! :cool:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai said she's crushed about not going to Japan because her extended family is there. Sniff. Heartbreak.

But she also said "It's not like my career is over." Yey!! And that's the truth. Besides, she didn't bury herself in 10th or anything. It's not a disaster.

ETA: I forgot to say Congratulations to Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjien!! Wonders they have done this year.