Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies FS

wow Czisny even got a Level 4 on her step... didn't see that one coming
    yet another Level 3 on her layback

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Yeah but she is on the way down now. She isnt doing triple-triples anymore which is what allowed her to place in the 5-9 range, and her long program this year is godawful bad. Without those she drops several places in potential which puts her 8-10 area if she skates well.

Look at how well she skated in Vancouver (for her) and only came 7th. It is highly unlikely she will reach that level again. If she skates 90-95% as well as Vancouver she could come 9th or 10th, but if she skates like she did here she will be well out of the top 10.
    Heaven forbid Rachael skate again if the best she can do is finish 8th to 10th in the world.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Yeah but she is on the way down now. She isnt doing triple-triples anymore which is what allowed her to place in the 5-9 range, and her long program this year is godawful bad. Without those she drops several places in potential which puts her 8-10 area if she skates well.

Look at how well she skated in Vancouver (for her) and only came 7th. It is highly unlikely she will reach that level again. If she skates 90-95% as well as Vancouver she could come 9th or 10th, but if she skates like she did here she will be well out of the top 10.

Well, let's just see what happens. I hate to admit it but Mirai has not been as good as she was last year either so there's no guarantee she would have place better than her 7th place last year either.

There's no need to be viscious and rude about any skater.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    There is so much unpredictability for the ladies on the international scene this season. Reigning World Champ Mao Asada has skated miserably, having not won any medal on the GP series and losing her Japanese title. Miki Ando was expected to win the GPF, only to completely wilt in the SP and end up off the podium altogether. Carolina Kostner was expected to win Europeans, only to manage 6th in the SP and win the silver behind all but forgotten Sarah Meier. All of the ladies have had their fair share of inconsistent moments. Actually, if you ask me, Czisny has been the most consistent lady in the world this season, and I never thought I would ever say that! She has Skate Canada gold, TEB bronze, GPF gold, and now Nationals gold. I think anything can happen in Tokyo.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-29-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Custom Title
    OMG....this is ridiculous. seriously. no talk of what people actually accomplished tonight. all three fought problems or demons this season.....and rose to the occasion tonight. worlds is still two months away. But whatever: ok, so how's this: Rachel can easily do top 10 at worlds even in this 3x3 "free" moment; and how about remembering that she started this season wanting to up her 3x3 arsenal only to suffer injury and doubt and frustration and had to fight her way back just to 3x2 form. And those weren't so great int he fall. Her jumps were higher and lighter at nationals and there is no reason to think she won't continue to work on them/perfect them. Maybe even bring back a 3x3 or two.

For Alissa - who knows. I somehow doubt her team will add difficulty now - rather, I suspect they will push for more speed, height, confidence. But even that - on top of what she already just accomplished which gave me goose bumps - would be a pleasure to watch.

Sure, I want 3 spots for the ladies; I'm crushed for 2 years in a row that we don't have that (even though even with 3 there are like 6 women I want to see at worlds). But at the same time, I'm so happy for what they were able to do tonight. that said, I'm done with the buzz kill and going to bed.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Ando, Asada, Murakami, Kim, Czisny, Korpi, Kostner..... Not really sure who the other two "guaranteed" to beat Flatt.
    Have you seen Korpi from Europeans? If that Kiira shows up in Tokyo, I don't think she's "guaranteed" to beat Rachael.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    It's been so shocking to see Mirai mess up her spins this year of all things. It's disappointing. This wasn't her year. I just hope she has enough fight and love for the sport for next year. And let's hope that injuries don't get in the way of her improving what she needs to improve.

Alissa, though.... wow. I just had this little feeling that she would regain her title. It fought with my fear of her messing up but I really did have this feeling. I adore her program. Her short program too. I can't say enough how happy I am for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know the feeling! I was almost too scared to watch Alissa, but I'm so glad I did. She held on to everything, and her spins were magnifique. If I could figure out where to write a thank you note to Yuka and Jason, I'd have one in the mail by Monday. They just did everything right, from the kind of program they planned for her to the magic they worked on her confidence.

And Rallycairn, I share your excitement for Agnes and Christina. They have such style and ability. I don't know which one I like better. Both were musical, graceful, and athletic in combination. And if Gao can jump like that in a year where she grew four inches, I feel pretty confident about her technique. What lovely soft landings she has! (The fabriholic in me compels me to repeat that I love her dress, especially with that contrasting ornament on it. These things matter.)

I'm sorry Mirai couldn't keep it together for the long program. Sadly ironic that she so messed up her spin, considering what a tremendous spinner she is. But as they often say, the ice is slippery. There are no guarantees, and all of these ladies fought to the finish. Even Caroline Zhang didn't give up, though I found it heartbreaking to watch her. I hope she keeps going, though, and regains her mastery.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrymeyunakim View Post
    As I said, it's unfortunately for Mirai but at 16/17 you just don't quit after having won the bronze medal at your home championships. She's got a gold, silver and bronze now. Not too shabby. I too found Frank's comment rather mean-spirited and when your young charge has thrown down all she could in the given circumstances, saying, "You threw it away, I'm sorry" in a mean way was unnecessary. I hope she develops a true lutz and salchow and keeps working. When all things are in place, we might be looking at the Sochi gold medallist. It'll take a lot of work, however.
    I agree - she's young, talented, and she did have a success by winning the bronze medal. I definitely don't think she should give it up, and I don't see her doing that. As for Frank Carroll and his comment to her, I am wondering if this is the way he and Mirai just communicate. Mirai seems to be the type to say what she's feeling, and I think perhaps that may be how they handle things. I don't know, just speculating. It does sound kind of harsh to the audience, but maybe that's how they deal with things?

Quote Originally Posted by hongligl View Post
    I'm not trying to trash Rachael, but her program just doesn't suit her. She's not sexy nor cute, and it's hard to look at the hard effort trying to be sexy or cute. I'm not sure what would be her style, classy and elegant don't seem the right ones either, maybe sweet and nextdoor girl type program, or try something powful or joyful?
    I think powerful/joyful seems to fit her well. I tend to like her SPs better, and usually she goes for that style in the SP (although of course she changed it this time).

Although, I remember seeing a performance of hers from her junior years in which she had a bit more elegant style (I guess it could fit into the sweet category), and it worked. I just don't see her as that type of skater now.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Actually, if you ask me, Czisny has been the most consistent lady in the world this season, and I never thought I would ever say that! She has Skate Canada gold, TEB bronze, GPF gold, and now Nationals gold. I think anything can happen in Tokyo.
    Actually, you're right! The only times she has had a meltdown have been sectionals and the nationals send-off, both in Michigan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by reynycpr View Post
    wow Czisny even got a Level 4 on her step... didn't see that one coming
    yet another Level 3 on her layback
    I think the level 3 is from her not holding one of the positions long enough (is it 6? 8?) for an extra level.

Medalist
    I agree with Marrymeyunakim. The more and more I watched Mirai's short program I just thought "she doesn't look ready, and probably shouldn't go to worlds." It's true, she hasn't really improved at all over last year, and in fact, she doesn't even look as good as she did last year. At the end of the season, she left us with a stellar performance at the Olympics, and at Worlds, probably one of the best short programs we've seen since the inception of the new system. I thought even with her disappointing final result there, she'd feel determined, and be inspired by touring with SOI. Everything just looks sluggish. She's not as fast as last year, her spins aren't as fast, she's not attacking the jumps the way she started doing at the end of last season, and she doesn't seem as sure in her choreography and performance.

Mirai is without a doubt my favorite skater, but as soon as she started the program, I knew my inklings were going to be correct, and she just didn't deliver. She's got more potential than anyone in our ladies field. If this doesn't end up entirely deflating her already weak confidence - and I hope it doesn't - this could be the moment she really starts believing in some of the things she tells the reporters and really gets serious. It's disappointing to see, but she needs something that's going to get her a little more fired up.

Alissa on the other hand, I knew she was going to win the title when she was about halfway through the program. I hope that now that she has started to build a pretty good run of good performances, that, coupled with her improved technique, will help her carry confidence into the World Championships.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    The SP was a lot better than the FP overall, IMO. My favorite skaters tonight were Agnes and Yasmin. Christina was good too.

Mirai didn't go out there like a champion. Rachael apparently had little left in the tank and fell below her norm - but got scored as if she brought it. Alissa was cautious and bland until she finished her jumps. Meh. I don't see either of the top 2 having a great showing at Worlds.

I think Mirai should go train alongside Mao or Daisuke and learn how to fight and deal with pressure. Rachael should change her FP to Tosca or Aranjuez. Alissa should quit while she's ahead. Agnes and Joelle should go to Worlds since Yasmin is too young. Problem solved.

Custom Title
    I'm sure Mirai feels gutted but she's a firey young lady, she'll bounce back. I totally agree with the need to improve. Since the Olympics it's hard to see the areas in which Mirai has improved. I'm sure her injury has something to do with this. I'd die of happiness if I saw a true outside edge for her lutz.

Custom Title
    I can't seem to totally enjoy Alissa's win but we will have to wait and see if we can gain 2 spots. I get that if clean there are so many skaters from Japan, Europeans and Korea that have it over Rachel. However although I don't like her skating at all she is consistent which can get cha very far if others mess up. I'll give Rach a chance because who knows what can happen. What else can we do.

I can't believe I'm saying this because I love Frank but I can see Mirai fitting in better with Yuka and Jason.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    The SP was a lot better than the FP overall, IMO. My favorite skaters tonight were Agnes and Yasmin. Christina was good too.

Mirai didn't go out there like a champion. Rachael apparently had little left in the tank and fell below her norm - but got scored as if she brought it. Alissa was cautious and bland until she finished her jumps. Meh. I don't see either of the top 2 having a great showing at Worlds.

I think Mirai should go train alongside Mao or Daisuke and learn how to fight and deal with pressure. Rachael should change her FP to Tosca or Aranjuez. Alissa should quit while she's ahead. Agnes and Joelle should go to Worlds since Yasmin is too young. Problem solved.
    I got shivers down my spine as you mentioned Tosca! But if Rachael does EoE as well as she did, even in Michelle's shadow, I'm sure Rachael could skate a passionate Tosca as well... Her LP is a bit gimmicky for my tastes, but never count Rachael out.

Reading your post makes me realise that I love the fact that Alyssa executed her jumps well. Upon review, I think she was a bit cautious. Still, a brilliant skate and well-deserved finish.

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast