Ladies FS | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I knew Alissa would win after seeing her warm up. She looked like an elegant lady, compared to the rest and after seeing her at the GPF knew she could skate clean. Holding onto that triple loop like that sealed the deal. It was a beautiful skate, and the championship is well deserved. :party::bow::clap:

Mirai reverted back to her old head games. Once she heard Alissa's score she told herself she couldn't win and gave up before she even started. Somehow she forgot all about making the world team. Very sloppy and uninspired performance. I was surprised she only got the one downgrade, quite frankly, her jumps seemed a lot tighter than last year. I think Frank is going to give her the silent treatment for a while now.

Rachael skated to win, but really she had no chance. Good performance from her, she deserved a strong second. It would have been nice to see her really go for the 3/3 though.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yasmin only named as an alternate for Jr. Worlds. I think USFS made a mistake on this--Yasmin should be going. Also on Zawadski--she's already the reigning silver medalist. I'd be sending her as one of the direct 4CC pick instead of to Jr. Worlds again. Lam vs Hicks--tossup but Hicks has no exposure in front of intl judges, whereas Lam won a JGP medal in her only appearance this season.

Who knows why USFS would rather just go straight roster rather than use executive discretion and put actual thought into their selections....bah! Now we'll see who decides to decline and which alternates will end up going.

Why should the USFSA go with Yasmin. I don't think she's necessarily a better skater than Hicks. Yasmin hasn't exactly shown she can compete with top two Russian babies this season. And I'm not sure Hicks can compete, but I think Hicks with her 3flip/3toe can do better than Yasmin did. Its sad one of Siraj, Hicks, or Lam couldn't go, but I think Hicks more than earned her spot. She has a 3flip/3toe and is much more competitive technically the the other three.

krenseby

Final Flight
If she skates perfectly at Worlds it would not be out of the realm of possibility that she is WORLD CHAMPION.

I think it's good that you see such high potential for Alissa,but let's remember that Yuna Kim is no push-over either. There is probably no lady right now who could beat Kim, Alissa included.

mhu714

On the Ice
Just watched the tape from last night. It went just as I'd hoped, with Alissa winning in what was hands down the best program she's ever done. I have alwys loved her gentle, flowing style so much and it killed me to see her stumble at times in the past. Going to Yuka and Jason has clearly been a great move and as a psychologist, even from my couch, I can see the increased confidence she now possesses. When she won in '09, I worried about how she'd do at Worlds but after this, as well as how well she did at GPF, I'm not worried at all for Japan and think she will get a medal. Hopefully Rachael skates as well as she's capable too, so we can finally get back the 3rd slot for next season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone keeps talking about these Russian babies. Yes they are impressive but have any of them gone through their growth spurts yet? Lets see them at 16, 17 be as good as they are now. At 13 ,14 these girls are all jumping beans so i wouldn't get all excited.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Everyone keeps talking about these Russian babies. Yes they are impressive but have any of them gone through their growth spurts yet? Lets see them at 16, 17 be as good as they are now. At 13 ,14 these girls are all jumping beans so i wouldn't get all excited.

There you go.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I knew Alissa would win after seeing her warm up. She looked like an elegant lady, compared to the rest and after seeing her at the GPF knew she could skate clean.

I'm amazed that any fan could possibly have that much confidence in her. :laugh:

Czisny and confidence never really went together, but I think I actually saw a different skater out there last night. Of course, it helped that she skated first out of the three title contenders (who knows if it would have gone the same had she skated last, for instance), but from the moment they called her name I saw a focused skater, trying to get into her zone. Not scared at all.

Also remember that now she carries the burden of reigning National champ. If there's any time that her newfound "confidence" will be tested...it will be at Worlds...and if she sticks around for next season, at 2012 Nationals.

Not gonna get my hopes up for Czisny at all. It'll be just as tough watching her at Worlds as it was in 2009. At least she actually deserves to go this time, so that's some consolation.

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
This was one of the best competitions I've seen in a while (Nationals wise, anyway.) My thoughts.

#6-Ashley. Good long program, but her inconsistency in the short is ruining her career. What a shame.

#5 and #4-Christina and Agnes. They have such potential, but a lot of people did at their age and fizzled out. Agnes needs a stylist. My mother thought she looked "tough, like Nicole Bobek." Since Nicole served time in my county's prison, that is not a good thing. Still, I like that she's her own person.

#3- Mirai. What can I say? That long program was lacking in any charm and originality. She needs to do lighter, or at least more famous music. Carmen last year was adorable. That heavy, serious Geisha music didn't do her justice. Her overall skating wasn't bad, though, just not perfect.

#2 Rachael. Her short program--much improved. She needs to skate to music with a tune, and she's getting a little niche for herself for making goofy faces during her footwork, which is good. Not perfect, but not bad, either. She could have an outside chance of a medal, and should get at least a high enough placement to get the 3 spots back. (Barring a meltdown, of course).

#1 Alissa. You go girl! If she skates clean, and the judging is fair, she should be in serious contention for a medal. She's already beaten everyone except YuNa at least once this year(all 5 at the GPF, plus Mao at one of the GP's, iirc.) She can do it if she stays calm. A gold? Maybe not, but a bronze or even silver is in reach.

:laugh:I didn't get that at all...like Kirk and all but she shouldn't be lump into Kwan/Cohen. Maybe he meant Hughes.
The three of them were the podium at Nationals for at least 3 years. You didn't know that?
KIRK executed 3 Toes when ladies didn't.
MK stopped doing 3 Toes (even in Nagano)
Cohen stopped doing her practice 1 Quad in competitive skating.
Hughes was very lucky that one comp she won.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Yuna wasn't going to be in Japan I would say a win would be POSSIBLE if Czisny had the two skates of her life and other contenders like Asada made major mistakes.

Her GPF score would definitely put her in contention for a medal, though. Unlike Flatt, we have seen that the international judges aren't afraid to give Czisny 60+ for her SP, ~120 for her FS if she does her absolute best. Unlike in 2009, a world medal is actually in REACH for Alyssa if she skates up to her potential.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm amazed that any fan could possibly have that much confidence in her. :laugh:

Czisny and confidence never really went together, but I think I actually saw a different skater out there last night. Of course, it helped that she skated first out of the three title contenders (who knows if it would have gone the same had she skated last, for instance), but from the moment they called her name I saw a focused skater, trying to get into her zone. Not scared at all.

Also remember that now she carries the burden of reigning National champ. If there's any time that her newfound "confidence" will be tested...it will be at Worlds...and if she sticks around for next season, at 2012 Nationals.

Not gonna get my hopes up for Czisny at all. It'll be just as tough watching her at Worlds as it was in 2009. At least she actually deserves to go this time, so that's some consolation.

Alissa skated last at the GPF and did brilliantly. And that was after Carolina and Miki Ando also did great.

I was nervous for Alissa last night but not as much as usual. I was convinced that she would at least not implode. I thought it was possible she might make mistakes - but in the past she has completely unraveled. Never this year. So I had a good feeling that no matter what she would end the competition respectably and not fall to 10th or something.

There's a difference for example between what Mirai did this year and what Alissa did last year. It's one thing to make a couple of mistakes and slip a couple of places. It's another thing to fall apart completely and bury yourself.

I'd love for the U.S. to get the three spots back but I watch skating even more for beautiful, stirring performances and Alissa more than any other lady can do that for the U.S. at worlds. Thank goodness she's going.

Does anyone know if the USFSA will be sending any athletes to the Winter Universiade? :)

I tried to find out for sure, but was not successful. The United States usually offers to send the winners of the U.S. Collegiate Championship. This year Grant Hochstein won for the men, but he is competing at U.S. Nationals (in about three hours.: )) Second place was Curran Oi (only three men entered the competitio.)

In ladies, the winner ws Karen Zhou.

Also, in previous years the U.S. has sent a collegiate synchro team. I am not sure about this year, but we have some pretty good ones.

Layfan

Record Breaker
The three of them were the podium at Nationals for at least 3 years. You didn't know that?
KIRK executed 3 Toes when ladies didn't.
MK stopped doing 3 Toes (even in Nagano)
Cohen stopped doing her practice 1 Quad in competitive skating.
Hughes was very lucky that one comp she won.

Even without "that one" Olympic gold medal, Sarah Hughes would have had a far better international career than Jennifer Kirk.

Jennifer went to world twice. She was 18th and 17th. Sarah went four times and was 7th, 5th, bronze medal, and 6th.

Sarah also has a pile of GP series medals and Jenny has one, although she also has a FC win.

And Sarah was on the national podium four times. Jenny three.

Besides, Sarah was attempting the hardest triple triple combinations of the U.S. ladies.

Of course, I agree with your overall point about the U.S. ladies of today not being as deep and as competitive of the U.S. ladies of past years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alissa skated last at the GPF and did brilliantly. And that was after Carolina and Miki Ando also did great.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Still though- it's easy when you're trying to fight back. But one you pick up titles...it gets harder.

I thought it was possible she might make mistakes - but in the past she has completely unraveled. Never this year.

That's a MAJOR difference I'm seeing between Czisny 2.0 and Czisny 1.0. 2.0 will not let a mistake derail her. 2.0 does not give up after slipping up on the opening jump.

I'd love for the U.S. to get the three spots back but I watch skating even more for beautiful, stirring performances and Alissa more than any other lady can do that for the U.S. at worlds. Thank goodness she's going.

After what I saw at Nats- and this is in stark contrast to 2009- we actually NEED Czisny (2.0) if we want a shot at 3 spots. I think that based on what I've seen this season- the best team would be Czisny/Nagasu, followed by Czisny/Flatt. This is mainly due to the international judges relegating Flatt to second-rate status, meaning that even at her absolute best she's probably not going to be higher than about 6th in the World. Nagasu isn't quite ready, but in the SP she's one of the best...meaning that she can afford a mistake or two in the free and still hang on.

And how ironic is this- if Mirai had NOT crumbled in the free skate at Worlds LAST year...she would be going to worlds THIS year as the 3rd pick. Again, just like Wagner did...she sealed her own fate by not stepping up to the plate at worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Birukova, Shelepen and Ovcharova are past their growth spurts from the looks of it (and are already 15, 16 years old) , Tuktamysheva, Radinova, Lipitniskaya most certainly are not, as for Sotnikova, Agafonova, and Sheveleva, it's hard to tell. There are seriously so many talented girls though that you can bet at least a few of them will survive puberty and be forces.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Still though- it's easy when you're trying to fight back. But one you pick up titles...it gets harder.

That's a MAJOR difference I'm seeing between Czisny 2.0 and Czisny 1.0. 2.0 will not let a mistake derail her. 2.0 does not give up after slipping up on the opening jump.

After what I saw at Nats- and this is in stark contrast to 2009- we actually NEED Czisny (2.0) if we want a shot at 3 spots. I think that based on what I've seen this season- the best team would be Czisny/Nagasu, followed by Czisny/Flatt. This is mainly due to the international judges relegating Flatt to second-rate status, meaning that even at her absolute best she's probably not going to be higher than about 6th in the World. Nagasu isn't quite ready, but in the SP she's one of the best...meaning that she can afford a mistake or two in the free and still hang on.

And how ironic is this- if Mirai had NOT crumbled in the free skate at Worlds LAST year...she would be going to worlds THIS year as the 3rd pick. Again, just like Wagner did...she sealed her own fate by not stepping up to the plate at worlds.

I thought the same thing about Mirai and I'm sure the thought has occurred to her. Poor girl. But hey, you could go on an on about ironies. I mean, you could also say, wow, isn't ironic that Alissa and Rachael got the two spots when they both failed t get the third? After all, the hopes shouldn't have been on Mirai last year in the first place. They should have been on our national champion, Rachael Flatt. And Alissa in 2009.

But that's the past. This is now. No point in reliving it. I sure hope the skaters aren't.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, Russian skating sure has a powerful history. Of course it will only be a matter of time before they are relevant again. And I hope the same is true for US skating.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I mean, you could also say, wow, isn't ironic that Alissa and Rachael got the two spots when they both failed t get the third?

You could, I guess...but it's more relevant for Flatt than it is for Czisny. the latter didn't even matter in the Olympic season.

After all, the hopes shouldn't have been on Mirai last year in the first place. They should have been on our national champion, Rachael Flatt. And Alissa in 2009.

Personally, my hopes were on Flatt in 2009. Czisny was nothing but a bundle of nerves at the time. And even at her best she probably wouldn't have been higher than 8th. She's come a long way since then.

In 2010, after finishing 4th at the Olympics, of course Nagasu was going to be the chosen one. Major, major disappointment but that was in the past. In the end, the only person it ended up hurting was...................well, Nagasu.