Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies FS

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Have you seen Korpi from Europeans? If that Kiira shows up in Tokyo, I don't think she's "guaranteed" to beat Rachael.
    Hence the quotes around guaranteed. pangtongfan said that the best Flatt could do was tenth. I really cannot think of nine skaters who are guaranteed to be ahead of her.

Flatt has beaten both Kostner and Murakami this season, for example. And Korpi.

Custom Title
    The Euros ended too quickly, so I decided to continue my FS weekend and watch US ladies. Here is my opinion. I'm not biased since I'm Russian and don't really like these girls except maybe Ashley and Alissa (but not her jumps).
    Caroline is done. I'm sorry to say that, but I think so. It was nice to see her pearl spin again, but it's not enough. Hope she will have some success, but not on the highest level.
    Ashley (( Huge dissapointment for me ((
    The youngsters didn't impress me, maybe because I got used to see Russian wonderbabies with 3-3s at the age of 12-13 and after them Lam or Siraj aren't impressive at all. Though Yasmin has one of the best choreogaphy here and Lam has some good qualities too, but their jumps are tiny and not solid.
    Gao is trying to be like Yu-Na too much, I think she should find her own way, but her 3F-3T was really good.
    Zawadzki is the one who really can jump and has nice spins too, but she lacks in presentation and not graceful at all.
    And then... I'm happy for Alissa, well deserved first place! Her jumps are scary, but she has everything else and when she is on... she is on
    I'm sorry, but NO WAY Flatt should be ahead of Nagasu. Her PCS should've been lower than all the other girls in the last warm-up, and much lower. I'd say 10 or more points behind Czisny and 7-8 behind Nagasu. She really doesn't have anything but the jumps, and her jumps are not the best quality either. I really have no idea what the judges were thinking. Yes, Mirai and Alissa are two headcases, but it's not like with Flatt in the team there is more hope for the three spots next year. I appreciate her spirit, but can she just go to college finally? Yes, Mirai shoud be behind her in TES, but ahead in PCS and overall.
    Last edited by Lucky Star; 01-29-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Yes, yes, yes! I too am very happy for Alissa, and this is a very popular victory for her. It seems like she is taking a cue from Rachael's long-time reputation - now she, Alissa, seems to be the steady, old reliable one that we can depend on. Hope she continues this trend!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I think the level 3 is from her not holding one of the positions long enough (is it 6? 8?) for an extra level.
    I think it's 8 and I remember thinking when I watched - oh no, too fast, she rushed it! I am so happy for her, though. just delighted!

Custom Title
    pangtongfan is just not worth listening to. Instead of respectfully talking about Rachael's weaknesses and offering suggestions for improvement, he/she just cuts her down. I'm sure the girl is trying her best. She'll never be Katarina Witt, but give the girl some credit for putting in the effort!

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambivalent View Post
    I got shivers down my spine as you mentioned Tosca! But if Rachael does EoE as well as she did, even in Michelle's shadow, I'm sure Rachael could skate a passionate Tosca as well... Her LP is a bit gimmicky for my tastes, but never count Rachael out.

Reading your post makes me realise that I love the fact that Alyssa executed her jumps well. Upon review, I think she was a bit cautious. Still, a brilliant skate and well-deserved finish.
    Maybe she could skate to Much Ado about Nothing or music from the Speed soundtrack?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    The SP was a lot better than the FP overall, IMO. My favorite skaters tonight were Agnes and Yasmin. Christina was good too.

Mirai didn't go out there like a champion. Rachael apparently had little left in the tank and fell below her norm - but got scored as if she brought it. Alissa was cautious and bland until she finished her jumps. Meh. I don't see either of the top 2 having a great showing at Worlds.

I think Mirai should go train alongside Mao or Daisuke and learn how to fight and deal with pressure. Rachael should change her FP to Tosca or Aranjuez. Alissa should quit while she's ahead. Agnes and Joelle should go to Worlds since Yasmin is too young. Problem solved.
    Alissa is a soft and quiet skater and her choreo this year embraces that. Some people don't like it I guess but I hope the world judges do. Let's not forget that Alissa is the GPF winner. She's been the most successful ladies skater in the world this year so I wouldn't count her out for worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Maybe she could skate to Much Ado about Nothing or music from the Speed soundtrack?
    I haven't heard of any of those, but if it's passionate or joyous, I think Rachael could pull it off!

Off topic, but did MK really skate to "Winter", as in synonymous-with-AlexeiYagudin-Winter? Where can I see it?!

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

And Rallycairn, I share your excitement for Agnes and Christina. They have such style and ability. I don't know which one I like better. Both were musical, graceful, and athletic in combination. And if Gao can jump like that in a year where she grew four inches, I feel pretty confident about her technique. What lovely soft landings she has! (The fabriholic in me compels me to repeat that I love her dress, especially with that contrasting ornament on it. These things matter.)
    Definitely two thumbs up! As you said, hard to pick a favorite between Zawadski's smooth elegance and Gao's amazing combination of energy and refinement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Alissa is a soft and quiet skater and her choreo this year embraces that. Some people don't like it I guess but I hope the world judges do. Let's not forget that Alissa is the GPF winner. She's been the most successful ladies skater in the world this year so I wouldn't count her out for worlds.
    I agree. There's something so lyrical about Alissa. It might not be to everyone's cup of tea, but in her post-skate interview she said she wanted to show how much she loved skating. Her FP is the perfect vehicle.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    I'm sorry, but NO WAY Flatt should be ahead of Nagasu. Her PCS should've been lower than all the other girls in the last warm-up, and much lower. I'd say 10 or more points behind Czisny and 7-8 behind Nagasu. She really doesn't have anything but the jumps, and her jumps are not the best quality either. I really have no idea what the judges were thinking. Yes, Mirai and Alissa are two headcases, but it's not like with Flatt in the team there is more hope for the three spots next year. I appreciate her spirit, but can she just go to college finally? Yes, Mirai shoud be behind her in TES, but ahead in PCS and overall.
    Thank you. And calling out bad judging and ill fated intentions by the U.S federation is not bashing someone and if it then so be it. The U.S should be looking out for their own best interests which is not holding up and drastically overscoring a skater with limited potential on the World level who didnt even skate well tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I think the level 3 is from her not holding one of the positions long enough (is it 6? 8?) for an extra level.
    ahh gotcha. makes sense.

Banned
    I also thought Agnes and Gao were underscored in both programs, especialy tonight. I hope next year if they are further improved (and I have no doubt they will be) the judges dont look to hold back these 2 extremely promising young ladies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff goldblum View Post
    I agree with Marrymeyunakim. The more and more I watched Mirai's short program I just thought "she doesn't look ready, and probably shouldn't go to worlds." It's true, she hasn't really improved at all over last year, and in fact, she doesn't even look as good as she did last year. At the end of the season, she left us with a stellar performance at the Olympics, and at Worlds, probably one of the best short programs we've seen since the inception of the new system. I thought even with her disappointing final result there, she'd feel determined, and be inspired by touring with SOI. Everything just looks sluggish. She's not as fast as last year, her spins aren't as fast, she's not attacking the jumps the way she started doing at the end of last season, and she doesn't seem as sure in her choreography and performance.

Mirai is without a doubt my favorite skater, but as soon as she started the program, I knew my inklings were going to be correct, and she just didn't deliver. She's got more potential than anyone in our ladies field. If this doesn't end up entirely deflating her already weak confidence - and I hope it doesn't - this could be the moment she really starts believing in some of the things she tells the reporters and really gets serious. It's disappointing to see, but she needs something that's going to get her a little more fired up.

Alissa on the other hand, I knew she was going to win the title when she was about halfway through the program. I hope that now that she has started to build a pretty good run of good performances, that, coupled with her improved technique, will help her carry confidence into the World Championships.
    I'm not sure that I felt she wasn't ready for worlds; more like, crap: we only have two spots and she might not make it. I'm sorry she did not. But, I do think I agree with your general point that she sort of didn't rise to the occassion this season; BUT she has sooooo much to offer and my goodness, bronze at nationals is HUGE. I hope this is the kick in the butt she needs to bring it for real next year, as I love her skating too.

I don't think I knew Alissa would win until Rachel doubled a triple. But I am so happy for her.

I can't seem to find the other posts now; but someone mentioned Mirai needs to go to someone like Yuka....Yuka and Jason rock! but, I think Frank does too. I bet that he is actually great for her - she just needs to settle down a bit and work on those under rotations, and did I say settle down. I bet she will.

Rachel doing Tosca is a great idea, I'm all for it!

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    The SP was a lot better than the FP overall, IMO. My favorite skaters tonight were Agnes and Yasmin. Christina was good too.

Mirai didn't go out there like a champion. Rachael apparently had little left in the tank and fell below her norm - but got scored as if she brought it. Alissa was cautious and bland until she finished her jumps. Meh. I don't see either of the top 2 having a great showing at Worlds.

I think Mirai should go train alongside Mao or Daisuke and learn how to fight and deal with pressure. Rachael should change her FP to Tosca or Aranjuez. Alissa should quit while she's ahead. Agnes and Joelle should go to Worlds since Yasmin is too young. Problem solved.
    SS you do have a way of tidying things up for everyone! Too funny. Except I do like the suggestion of Much Ado About Nothing for Rachael better than the Tosca or Aranjuez workhorses.

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast