Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies FS

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Ballerinas are not the only dancers out there. I see Agnes as a very good dancer on ice even if she doesn't remind me of a ballerina. Grace isn't just about softness. You have to be graceful to be good jazz dancer too. It's nice to see a power skater among the American ladies. You know - someone like Irina and Midori. Okay, I know Agnes can't be compared to them but just trying to think of examples of skaters who weren't balletic that I alwasy enjoyed...
    Irina and Midori btw were no slouches in the spin department... just like Agnes
    Oh, I agree with you for sure. It's the same argument among gymnastics fans, too - a lot of people don't like the powerful/upbeat dancers and don't consider routines that aren't balletic as artistic. Though I do enjoy soft and delicate routines, I also enjoy a strong performance with a different type of dance. As long as the program has good, fleshed out choreography and the person puts a lot into the performance (which I feel Agnes does), I think it shouldn't matter the style of the routine. Of course people have preferences, which is fine, but thinking someone isn't a good dancer because they aren't balletic isn't too fair, IMO. And I think Agnes definitely delivers that.

Again, not saying everyone who doesn't like her style or thinks she needs work sees it like that, but I think it may affect how some think.

I do not believe that Rachel or Miri are the future for American Ladies skating or that they are going to challenge for medals in Sochi, it will be Agnes who will challenge for an olympic medal, and will get the American ladies BACK on the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by loop9497 View Post
    Oh, I agree with you for sure. It's the same argument among gymnastics fans, too - a lot of people don't like the powerful/upbeat dancers and don't consider routines that aren't balletic as artistic. Though I do enjoy soft and delicate routines, I also enjoy a strong performance with a different type of dance. As long as the program has good, fleshed out choreography and the person puts a lot into the performance (which I feel Agnes does), I think it shouldn't matter the style of the routine. Of course people have preferences, which is fine, but thinking someone isn't a good dancer because they aren't balletic isn't too fair, IMO. And I think Agnes definitely delivers that.

Again, not saying everyone who doesn't like her style or thinks she needs work sees it like that, but I think it may affect how some think.
    I was actually thinking along those lines when I watched Agnes. I thought she had really satisfying musicality that went with the folk spirit of the music. She hasn't perfected it, but she's got it inside her, and I'd be happy to have that kind of style represent us internationally. Everything doesn't have to be ballet, though as we've said before, a ballet background can give skaters a vocabulary of movement that helps them execute all sorts of moves more effectively. In any case, whatever Agnes is doing works for her.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loop9497 View Post

Exactly. I have a weakness for pretty ballet lines but I love the variety that skating offers and I always enjoyed Midori and Irina for instance. And now Agnes.

Also see Agnes as someone who can develop a personal and recognizable style, which also something that's hard to put your finger on but you know it when you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Horrible night of ladies skating imho...
    Oh, baloney. That was great. Alissa was wonderful. Agnes was super, along with Vanessa Lam. I liked Siraj, also Joelle Forte. True, Mirai didn't have her usual spark and Rachael was only OK. Well, onward and upward!

Custom Title
    What the lowdown on Agnes Zawazki? I mean how tall are her parents? How tall is she expected to grow? She's 16, right? So I'm wondering if she'll grow even more than her present 5'6"? What's her record in skating? Consistent? Inconsistent? Won any championships in juniors? What jumps is she consistent on? What's been her hardest layout (6, 7 triple jumps)? Has she ever skated clean? If so, how many times?

Lol, now I'm interested, will probably look these answers up myself. and more!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Oh, baloney. That was great. Alissa was wonderful. Agnes was super, along with Vanessa Lam. I liked Siraj, also Joelle Forte. True, Mirai didn't have her usual spark and Rachael was only OK. Well, onward and upward!
    Nope, the BEST competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win! That didn't happen tonight, neither Mirai or Rachael skated their best, nor did Ashley, et al. Fact.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Congrats to Alissa.
    Mirai wont be sent at worlds? depressed. :(

Custom Title
    I do not believe that Rachel or Miri are the future for American Ladies skating or that they are going to challenge for medals in Sochi, it will be Agnes who will challenge for an olympic medal, and will get the American ladies BACK on the podium.
    Well probably not since Rachel will more than likely be focusing on school. Agnes can't take both spots so it's possible Mirai along with the other talented ones might challenge for the Olympics and a medal. With all that said these U.S. girls will have their hands full because I think there will be a few Russians and Japanese ladies that will have a lot to say about that.

What the lowdown on Agnes Zawazki? I mean how tall are her parents? How tall is she expected to grow? She's 16, right? So I'm wondering if she'll grow even more than her present 5'6"? What's her record in skating? Consistent? Inconsistent? Won any championships in juniors? What jumps is she consistent on? What's been her hardest layout (6, 7 triple jumps)? Has she ever skated clean? If so, how many times?

Lol, now I'm interested, will probably look these answers up myself. and more!
    That's what I'm wondering Nadine. Her body looks older than a 16 yr old and she's still probably growing. Agnes's been inconsistent throughout the gp series. I don't think she had any good skates (long program) throughout. This was a cleanest skate this season.
    Last edited by lavender; 01-30-2011 at 12:38 AM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Wow, a bunch of sour grapes tonight! Better to be a lover than a hater!

Down With It
    Quick thoughts:

Glad Czisny was able to continue her record season with her 2nd Natl title- this time actually deserved 100%.

I actually thought Flatt held up well considering a) she was defending a title, which is always tough and b) she went after Czisny and Nagasu, who were both strong.

I actually think there's a valid argument for placing Flatt BEHIND Nagasu...the latter's botched spin was what- 4, 5 points?

For the first time, I'm nervous about sending Rachel to worlds. The int'l judges are not receiving her well even when she is clean. I'm thinking Skate America- I mean, with worlds being in Japan and all...Czisny going in as National champ...I'm NOT optimistic about 3 spots for 2012 at all.

Re. Zawadzki- she's powerful, can do the jumps, made a splash in her debut. But complete package? HECK NO.

Gao is getting there. But don't see anything spectacular that would put her among the best in the World yet. Next year could be her year.

Wagner- sad to say but with the upcoming talent it might be the beginning of the end for her. She continues to bury herself in the standings with botched SPs...too much ground to make up in the FS if the others bring it.

Zhang- clearly going through a transitional period. I wonder if she will emerge victorious on the other side...

More later.

Custom Title
    Well I say BRING IT ON, BRING IT ON!!!! I want to see the Russians, Japanese and American ladies go head-to-head, and I'll bow down to the the winner! (oops, and you forgot one phenomenal Korean)!

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Congrats to Alissa.
    Mirai wont be sent at worlds? depressed. :(
    Yeah..... depressing.

I wonder if she'll go to Four Continents. If she does, I hope she puts her heart and soul into it and ends the season on a good note. I don't think Mirai's ever been to that competition before!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Well I say BRING IT ON, BRING IT ON!!!! I want to see the Russians, Japanese and American ladies go head-to-head, and I'll bow down to the the winner! (oops, and you forgot one phenomenal Korean)!
    I agree. Will Yu na be skating in Sochi?

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Quick thoughts:

Glad Czisny was able to continue her record season with her 2nd Natl title- this time actually deserved 100%.

I actually thought Flatt held up well considering a) she was defending a title, which is always tough and b) she went after Czisny and Nagasu, who were both strong.

I actually think there's a valid argument for placing Flatt BEHIND Nagasu...the latter's botched spin was what- 4, 5 points?

For the first time, I'm nervous about sending Rachel to worlds. The int'l judges are not receiving her well even when she is clean. I'm thinking Skate America- I mean, with worlds being in Japan and all...Czisny going in as National champ...I'm NOT optimistic about 3 spots for 2012 at all.

Re. Zawadzki- she's powerful, can do the jumps, made a splash in her debut. But complete package? HECK NO.

Gao is getting there. But don't see anything spectacular that would put her among the best in the World yet. Next year could be her year.

Wagner- sad to say but with the upcoming talent it might be the beginning of the end for her. She continues to bury herself in the standings with botched SPs...too much ground to make up in the FS if the others bring it.

Zhang- clearly going through a transitional period. I wonder if she will emerge victorious on the other side...

More later.
    interesting thoughts.

Mirai was actually quite a bit behind Rachael so there must have been something else. More URs than Rachael or something. I'm too depressed about Mirai to look at the protocols.

The good thing about Alissa is that the international judges receive her well when she does well. Just hope she does well.

Rachael - she has to really bring it on at worlds or the judges might pounce. The bad news? She's been shaky in her last two competitions. The good news? Great new SP that she'll get to perfect before worlds!

So I'm staying optimistic.

Wouldn't it be shocking if Zhang managed to get used to her new tecnique and new body and become the U.S hope? Not holding my breath but you never know.

Ashley had rotten luck this year with illnesses. So did Mirai with injuries. Rachael too.

Isn't there a way to watch the medal ceremony and the press conferences?? How come Icenetwork doesn't have those things?

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast