Ladies FS | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

Layfan

Record Breaker
Clearly Carroll is not happy with Nagasu- perhaps the two should part ways. Nagasu may need a coach that is more supportive and willing to encourage her through rough times- but is also not afraid to slap the hammer down when necessary. To me, it sounds like Carroll does the latter and not enough of the former.

OR- maybe Carroll is right, and is telling it like it is. In which case, this might indeed be the slap that Nagasu needs to pull it together. Sometimes it really takes a major disappointment to evaluate where you are and make the necessary adjustments. Missing the world team should do it.

The problem with Nagasu that night was not the mistakes...IMO, it's that she gave up. She was nervous...fine, but once she made a mistake that was it. You just cannot give up on a performance like that. With Cop it's not over if you fall. You can still make up points here and there. THAT is why she was not on the world team. Flatt's performance was very beatable.

ETA: I agree with Hersh that we probably need that third ladies spot more than ever now. It enables an additional skater to gain Worlds experience. With our field, that could be invaluable. Come on Alyssa and Rachel!

To me the issue is not whether Frank should tell it like it is. The issue is whether he really needed to do it so publicly instead of just to her.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai's parents entered into a contract with Frank Carroll to provide instruction to their daughter. It is utterly unprofessional of the coach publicly to embarrass his student with snide comments to the press. If he is displeased with his student, let him be displeased in private. How does Phil Hersh enter into the equation?

Exactly.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai's parents entered into a contract with Frank Carroll to provide instruction to their daughter. It is utterly unprofessional of the coach publicly to embarrass his student with snide comments to the press. If he is displeased with his student, let him be displeased in private. How does Phil Hersh enter into the equation?

Here is Hersh's column. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/01/w.html Frank's comments are completely inappropriate. I don't see how Mirai continues with him. Perhaps it's a generational thing. Brian Orser has an opening, doesn't he?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The same thought occurred to me but I didn't even want to think about it. Personally, I think this time around it would be a horrible public relations move for Frank if it came out that he dumped her but maybe he doesn't care at this point.

He didn't care when he dropped an incredibly injured Tim from his stable - and at the time brought in rumors of Tim's personal life... he was the coach of Michelle Kwan... now he's the coach of MK and an Olympic Champion. The man can do whatever he wants.

I think everyone's frustration and/or disappointment with Mirai is that she is currently the most talented skater we have. Rachael has fine jumps but not much in the way of delivery, and it also seems as though her career is winding down so she can focus on college. Alissa is splendid but is not the future of skating. Agnes and Christina aren't ready yet. Mirai has the talent, the sparkle, and the potential to be the next star American skater. She didn't lose her jumps to the Puberty Monster and has managed to add to her gifts as a spinner and a performer.

And then she just goes "thud" at the Nationals that could have sent her into the next stage of her career.

If it's nerves, that's bad enough. But if it's a combination of nerves and a lack of commitment, that's not someone we can put our trust in, because she'll always let us down. I think that's what many of us fear.

As for Frank Carroll's behavior, I don't know what to say. He's always been a bit of a curmudgeon, and maybe he just feels that he wants out as well as Mirai. So he's burning his bridges as he goes. Maybe he feels that his time is too precious to spend on anyone who doesn't work as hard as Evan, who was a notorious workhorse. And after all, Carroll too was probably spoiled by Michelle, as we were. She gave her all in both practice and competition and made magic in a way few coaches get to see even once, let alone more than once. Few skaters can live up to those two examples!

I'm not excusing him. I'm just trying to understand what's going on.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny is what I would call a LATE BLOOMER. She's been around since, what- 2004? And despite her inconsistency/ups and downs over those years, she appears to be reaching her peak performance level right now. Instead of the youngsters taking over the next generation of US skaters, she's hanging in there. There is a void that needs to be filled and no one seems to be willing to step up to the plate. Will Czisny be that skater (at least for the time being)?

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I was torn watching the event, as thrilled as I am for Alissa(which I am very thrilled) I was very saddened by Mirai's end result. I really hoped she would be able to hold it together, but she looked about in tears even before she skated, which broke my heart. I hope she can overcome this. Mirai is easily the most talented ladies skater we have. She is brilliant when she is on. Caroline's struggle also made me sad as well. I hope she continues to work on her technique, it takes time, hopefully she has the patience to hang in there for the long haul.

Frank's sour disposition isnt helping matters with Mirai in my opinion. I could be wrong & maybe its what she needs...but Im not so sure. :disapp:

Needless to say if it were me in the situation, Frank would have had alot more to say to Hersh. Cause I know I would have told Frank off. Im all for seriousness on the ice etc. I liked my coaches that way. HOWEVER, the rude comments and airing stuff to people who dont need to know is unnecessary & I would have given him an explicit piece of my mind :mad: :eek: LOL Im willing to bend over backwards and work my butt off for you, but talk trash about me or disrespect me and trust me you have bitten off more than you can chew

Here's hoping Alissa & Rachel get us 3 spots, but unlike years past where I stressed about the 3 spots, I am just hoping they have good skates that they are happy about. Best of luck to the whole US Team:biggrin:

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think everyone's frustration and/or disappointment with Mirai is that she is currently the most talented skater we have. Rachael has fine jumps but not much in the way of delivery, and it also seems as though her career is winding down so she can focus on college. Alissa is splendid but is not the future of skating. Agnes and Christina aren't ready yet. Mirai has the talent, the sparkle, and the potential to be the next star American skater. She didn't lose her jumps to the Puberty Monster and has managed to add to her gifts as a spinner and a performer.

And then she just goes "thud" at the Nationals that could have sent her into the next stage of her career.

If it's nerves, that's bad enough. But if it's a combination of nerves and a lack of commitment, that's not someone we can put our trust in, because she'll always let us down. I think that's what many of us fear.

As for Frank Carroll's behavior, I don't know what to say. He's always been a bit of a curmudgeon, and maybe he just feels that he wants out as well as Mirai. So he's burning his bridges as he goes. Maybe he feels that his time is too precious to spend on anyone who doesn't work as hard as Evan, who was a notorious workhorse. And after all, Carroll too was probably spoiled by Michelle, as we were. She gave her all in both practice and competition and made magic in a way few coaches get to see even once, let alone more than once. Few skaters can live up to those two examples!

I'm not excusing him. I'm just trying to understand what's going on.

You make a good point about few skaters being able to live up to Michelle and Evan in many ways.

Somehow, I think it would look worse for Frank if he dumped Mirai than it did when he dumped Goebel. And besides, strange to think about, but Frank doesn't have any other skaters of Mirai's caliber right now, men or women.

But Frank's 70 years old and he has his Olympic gold medal. I suppose he can do whatever he wants.

My bet is that if they do part ways they'll present it as a mutual decision, though.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My God you act like Frank whipped and flogged Mirai. He just told her how it was and she needs to start growing up and taking her skating seriously. Otherwise she will just be another talented skater who wasted her talent. The way she looked to give up and had no spark on Saturday was infuriating to Frank. I love Mirai but i think she doesn't work as hard as she needs to be a champion. No other coach is going to coax that out of her. If a coach is more lenient then Frank then Mirai will just slack off even more.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Both Charlene Wong and now Frank have said that Mirai isn't as dedicated as she should be in practice. Charlene made it clear that Mirai was the most talented skater she had ever coach, but also that she was not impressed with talent as much as hard work. As we have seen over and over (think Johnny Weir) talent alone can't get you past placing decently at nationals. If you think about it, Mirai lost out on making the 2011 worlds twice...the first time was at least year's worlds when she fell apart in the free, and thus disqualified that third spot (which would have gone to her) for the next year.

Layfan

Record Breaker
My God you act like Frank whipped and flogged Mirai. He just told her how it was and she needs to start growing up and taking her skating seriously. Otherwise she will just be another talented skater who wasted her talent. The way she looked to give up and had no spark on Saturday was infuriating to Frank. I love Mirai but i think she doesn't work as hard as she needs to be a champion. No other coach is going to coax that out of her. If a coach is more lenient then Frank then Mirai will just slack off even more.

No, he didn't just tell HER that. He decided to gossip about her to a COLUMNIST. That is the issue for many of us. Not whatever Frank decides to tell MIRAI as her coach.

Maybe it makes fans feel real special to know all of these juicy details, but I thought it was unprofessional of Frank.

Nobody is arguing that Frank shouldn't tell off Mirai in person. Maybe you need to re-read some of the posts.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Charlene Wong and now Frank have said that Mirai isn't as dedicated as she should be in practice. Charlene made it clear that Mirai was the most talented skater she had ever coach, but also that she was not impressed with talent as much as hard work. As we have seen over and over (think Johnny Weir) talent alone can't get you past placing decently at nationals. If you think about it, Mirai lost out on making the 2011 worlds twice...the first time was at least year's worlds when she fell apart in the free, and thus disqualified that third spot (which would have gone to her) for the next year.

Very good point about Mirai disqualifying herself at 2010 Worlds. The change in Mirai, if it is going to happen, has to come from herself. She has to want it--whether "it" is a World medal, a World championship, or Olympic gold. If she isn't 100% committed, I don't think it's going to happen for her. Does anyone believe that Michelle didn't give 101% to achieve what she did, on top of her (considerable) talent? I hope that Mirai's disappointment over Nationals gives her the motivation to really pursue her dream, knowing that doing so will be a full-time job.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can relate in a way, though. If you're someone with an unusual talent in something, where things tend to come easy to you- it's pretty tempting to fall into the trap of coasting. Rare is the person with talent AND exceptional drive. Those are the people who become the greats at what they do.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Very good point about Mirai disqualifying herself at 2010 Worlds. The change in Mirai, if it is going to happen, has to come from herself. She has to want it--whether "it" is a World medal, a World championship, or Olympic gold. If she isn't 100% committed, I don't think it's going to happen for her. Does anyone believe that Michelle didn't give 101% to achieve what she did, on top of her (considerable) talent? I hope that Mirai's disappointment over Nationals gives her the motivation to really pursue her dream, knowing that doing so will be a full-time job.

At least it happened this year when there's no Olympics and three more years to go for the next one. Here's hoping for next year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a way, Mirai is reminding me of Sasha. Sasha wasn't a dedicated trainer, and although she wanted badly to win every competition, she didn't want it quite badly enough to do the work to get there. Sasha too, often went onto the ice to skate her FS with a less-than-confident look on her face. But Sasha always had more 'flash' and charisma than Mirai does, and she rarely URed her jumps.

ivy

On the Ice
No other coach is going to coax that out of her. If a coach is more lenient then Frank then Mirai will just slack off even more.

But you can't scold someone into working with the kind of committment that it takes to be the best in the world - that motivation has to be found within. There was an interview snipet on NBC where someone asked Mirai what she need to do to win and she replied something like 'Just do what my coach says'. That strikes me as little immature (Mirai is young).

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't see anything wrong or "immature" about that comment at all. If you already know exactly what you have to do to win, why even have a coach to begin with?

Layfan

Record Breaker
In a way, Mirai is reminding me of Sasha. Sasha wasn't a dedicated trainer, and although she wanted badly to win every competition, she didn't want it quite badly enough to do the work to get there. Sasha too, often went onto the ice to skate her FS with a less-than-confident look on her face. But Sasha always had more 'flash' and charisma than Mirai does, and she rarely URed her jumps.

I always here this about Sasha but never from the horse's mouth or from her coach or such. So I never know whether to believe it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think Cohen and Nagasu could be any more different from a skating or personality perspective. The only similarity I see between them is the inability to control the nerves when atop the leaderboard.

For example- one thing Nagasu does that Cohen never did was give up on a performance. The latter would make her mistake, but continue fighting through. In Torino, that was the difference between eeking out Silver and getting no medal at all. If Nagasu did that at worlds last year, she'd be on her way again right now.

Last edited: