Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies FS

Down With It
    More

Siraj: Really impressed by her. She has a lot of talent. Will be interesting to see where she ends up, but of course I'm careful not to expect too much.

Lam had a great SP, but I thought her FS was just alright.

Gilles was Gilles again- next year we need to give someone else a chance at the GP.

People counted Czisny out after her horrible meltdown at Nationals last year. We thought she was done. Even she did...for the moment. But to come back, win SC, medal at TEB...win at GPF in a tough field...and THEN win Nationals in the most competitive ladies' field I've ever seen- Wow. To think with all the upcoming talent, our best hopes hinge on a has-been veteran who has been around for nearly 8 years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Well probably not since Rachel will more than likely be focusing on school. Agnes can't take both spots so it's possible Mirai along with the other talented ones might challenge for the Olympics and a medal. With all that said these U.S. girls will have their hands full because I think there will be a few Russians and Japanese ladies that will have a lot to say about that.
    Dont forget about Yu Na Kim. Granted she might not go to Sochi but if she does she is a huge threat, if not even the favorite again.

I think Agnes and Gao are the two with the best chance to challenge for a medal for the U.S in 2014 but wouldnt totally count out Mirai either.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Wow, a bunch of sour grapes tonight! Better to be a lover than a hater!
    The same two words came to my mind about some posters. Snicker.

YEY ALISSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Nice avatar.

Custom Title
    To tell the truth I hope the Russians do good in Sochi. I feel bad for them, such a great tradition in not only skating, but art, culture, literature, ballet, history, etc. So to be shut out of a gold medal at the 2010 Olympics in Canada must've been heartbreaking.

I can't wait to see what Mishin's little prodigy will put forth next year. Right now she doesn't impress me, too underdeveloped, baby, nothing to get excited about. But that Adelina S. is the one I'm impressed with. Here's hoping she brings forth the goods, same with Japan, Korea, and the USA.

I want a real competition in the same vein as Zhenya vs. Yagudin/Evan, Brian Boitano vs. Brian Orser, Katarina Witt vs. Rosalynn Sumners/Debbie Thomas, Tara Lipinski vs. Michelle Kwan, Oksana Baiul vs. Nancy Kerrigan, and on & on.

Right now I honestly don't see any serious challengers to Yuna Kim in the Ladies; she has fully rotated big high powerful 3/3 combos., consistency, beauty, well-deserved PCS, speed, et al. Nobody's going to touch her record for a long time coming, and rightfully so. She is whom ALL others are measured by. None others come close unless she makes a mistake, fact.

The USA ladies have their work cut out for them, they still have a looooooooooong way to go to get on Yuna's level, but I'm crossing my fingers one of the youngsters will one day attain her level (Agnes & Christina? ).

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Mirai was actually quite a bit behind Rachael so there must have been something else. More URs than Rachael or something. I'm too depressed about Mirai to look at the protocols.
    haven't looked at the score sheet but it looks like URs did Nagasu in. At TEB, even with a botched spin she was able to get silver.

I felt really bad for her when they showed her backstage. She looked gutted. To be the leader after the SP- and then, like that, off the world team- ouch. She now gets to feel Wagner's pain from last year. (Yes, I know it was the Olys, but situation is similar nontheless)

The good thing about Alissa is that the international judges receive her well when she does well. Just hope she does well.
    Cross fingers, knock wood, eat lucky charms, pray to the heavens...

Rachael - she has to really bring it on at worlds or the judges might pounce. The bad news? She's been shaky in her last two competitions. The good news? Great new SP that she'll get to perfect before worlds!

So I'm staying optimistic.
    Looks like Flatt wants to do 4CC. so let's see how she is received. If Flatt can stay in the top 10- maybe hang around 8th or 9th...and Czisny skates like she did at the GPF, getting ~175 pts...that should put her 3rd-5th and we MIGHT have a chance. But I really think it's an outside one at best.

Wouldn't it be shocking if Zhang managed to get used to her new tecnique and new body and become the U.S hope? Not holding my breath but you never know.
    Some beginning to count her out already. But I would not do that yet. If it's 2013 and she's still floundering, then OK, she's probably done. But no one said that overhauls happen overnight.

Ashley had rotten luck this year with illnesses. So did Mirai with injuries. Rachael too.
    Everyone (was) is in the same boat.

Thank you!!

And you're welcome to those who said Thanks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Isn't there a way to watch the medal ceremony and the press conferences?? How come Icenetwork doesn't have those things?
    Ice Network has both.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I actually think there's a valid argument for placing Flatt BEHIND Nagasu...the latter's botched spin was what- 4, 5 points?
    How does Mirai botching a spin and losing 4 or 5 points for it translate into putting Flatt behind?

I hope you don't mean, if Mirai had not done that, and if someone else had done this and if the other guy hadn't done the other, then...

Last edited by Mathman; 01-30-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Custom Title
    For now, CONGRATULATIONS to Alissa, Rachael, and Mirai. Do well at Worlds to earn 3 spots back next year please. So long!

Mirai said she's crushed about not going to Japan because her extended family is there. Sniff. Heartbreak.

But she also said "It's not like my career is over." Yey!! And that's the truth. Besides, she didn't bury herself in 10th or anything. It's not a disaster.

ETA: I forgot to say Congratulations to Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjien!! Wonders they have done this year.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    How does Mirai botching a spin and losing 4 or 5 points for it translate into putting Flatt behind?

I hope you don't mean, if Mirai had not done that, and if someone else had done this and if the other guy hadn't done the other, then...
    No, not exactly. But seemed like it was freaking URs again. Argh. I just have mixed thoughts about sending Flatt again this year after being hammered by the int'l judges.

Custom Title
    Don't know if this will link correctly but I had to try. Quite a picture of Rachael.

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/gallery;..._figure_sk%3A1

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    To tell the truth I hope the Russians do good in Sochi. I feel bad for them, such a great tradition in not only skating, but art, culture, literature, ballet, history, etc. So to be shut out of a gold medal at the 2010 Olympics in Canada must've been heartbreaking.
    I'm REALLY hoping for greatness from Russia in Sochi too, particularly in pairs and ice dance! I Maksim + Tatiana and Elena + Nikita with all my heart! I would love to see improvement from Jana + Fedor, Lubov + Nodari, Katarina + Alexander, and Vera + Yuri as well! <3
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-30-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan View Post
    Ice Network has both.
    Really? I can't find them try as i might.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Actually both Mirai and Rachael got a UR call (Mirai on her 3lutz, Rachael on the 3toe after her 2axel). Mirai may have lost a tiny bit more points on her UR due to it being on a higher scored jump after the halfway mark, but really it's a wash. The difference in their FS score (not their total score!) is 7.15. From studying the protocols, here's where Mirai really lost to Rachael:

Obviously getting 0 points on a spin element hurt. She normally gets 3.5 points+ on her flying sit spin.

In terms of points they got from jumps, Rachael got 3.37 more points than Mirai on them. They actually made very similar mistakes on their jumps. They both got UR calls, they both doubled a planned triple, and had a wonky landing on their final jump. So why the point difference? Because Rachael had a jump plan that scored more points to begin with, so with them losing almost identical points with the failures thrown in, Rachael came out ahead. Summary of Rachael's superior jump plan:

Rachael's two (planned) repeated triples were 3lutz and 3flip, whereas Mirai planned to repeat her 3lutz and 3toe.

Rachael put her highest scoring jumping passes in the second half, whereas Mirai had one of her highest scoring jumping passes in the first.

Rachael planned a 3sal (for a 7 triple program if she landed all her jumps) whereas Mirai planned a second 2axel.

It's almost uncanny that they wound up losing identical amounts of points from their planned jumps. But since Rachael had more points to begin with, she comes out ahead.

Mirai also lost around 3.5 points for getting a big fat 0 on her flying sit spin.

The remaining point or so difference in their FS is in the PCS, where besides skating skills, Mirai came out slightly behind in all other areas (and fairly so, given how tense she looked whereas Rachael actually took time to perform and sell the program).

And there you have it. That's exactly why Mirai lost the FS to Rachael and the whole competition.

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast