US Selections for Junior Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

US Selections for Junior Worlds

RUKen

Rinkside
I believe the year Nagasu won Senior Nationals, Flatt was Second and Zhang was fourth they all went to JWs

Correct--they were all age-ineligible for "Senior" Worlds, and Caroline Zhang was the defending Junior World Champion.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But that's not true - a skater who passes the US Senior MIF and FS tests can no longer compete as a Junior at US quaifying competitions (Regionals, Sectionals, Nationals). There are select situations for nonqualifying competitions where skaters are allowed to "skate down" in the same way that skaters can "skate up" a level. Those situations are for skaters who have passed their Senior FS but are competing on the JGP circuit.

Because of the disparity in the way skaters can skate Senior Nationals within various countries, it's within the purview of each NGB to determine who will represent the country at both Senior and Junior Worlds (and 4CC/Europeans). The main mission of US Figure Skating is to create World and Olympic Champions. In order to do that, they need as many spots as possible in the JGP and at JWs to get exposure for the atheletes who are promising but aren't quite ready for prime time (Senior GP and Worlds) yet. To that end, it's in US Figure Skating's best interest to send Agnes Zawadzki, Christina Gao and Keegan Messing to JWs.

If all things were equal and all countries had similar test criteria, then perhaps you could preclude those who have passed the International Senior FS test from skating at Junior Worlds. If you think all countries could come to a consensus on what should/shouldn't be included on that test, I have some swamp land in Arizona for sale....;)

Thank you. The key here is the disparity between the national federations and the ISU about age/eligibility in juniors vs seniors.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I don't have a problem with skaters competing as Sr's on a nat'l level and on as Jr's int'lly. I don't really like the idea of skaters competing for most of the season as Sr's int'lly and then going to Jr. WC. - that seems a little unfair, but I understand it's not uncommon and not against the rules.

I agree, don't really like the situation when skaters who couldn't make the senior team going to the Junior Worlds. Few years ago when Alena Leonova won, even though I were happy for her, only seniors placed on the podium (Leonova, Zhang, Wagner) and it seemed a bit unfair to the real juniors.
I think if a skater competes at senior Grand Prix he/she shouldn't go to JW with exception for the skaters who are not age eligible for senior competition but already can compete at the Grand Prix like Mao Asada in 2005-2006 season or Caroline Zhang in 2007-2008

^^^^
What I think we can ascertain by this discussion is that the Junior Division will cater to the Big Six's storehouse of top skaters who did not qualify in their country results for Senior Worlds, with those skaters from Andorra, Lichtenstein, and Puerto Rico, etc. because of their age.

It seems to me to be a glorified competition of skaters who now do not skate Senior Worlds, and is not much more than a world wide "B" competition. Of course if one can watch it, we can see Hanyu, Abbott, Reynolds, et al who also skate senior, skate once again into the sunset. That's always fun (but will we see the comp?)

Because of its set-up, I can not appreciate the Junior Worlds as a major competition. It's an adjunct to to the Senior Division.

Tammi

On the Ice
It's not entirely clear to me that it would be better for Dornbush to enter next year as having finished, say,11th in the Worlds rather than as Junior Worlds Champion. If Dornbush finished in the top 6 at Worlds, it would clearly be better for him, and maybe even top 10, but if he finishes lower than 10th, I suspect it would be better to be Junior World Champion.

So I'd like to know why it would be better to be, say, 11th?
I'll probably have to wait until after the event to play Monday morning quarterback ;), but I do think that in the long run, it will have been better for him to go to Worlds. Time will tell. I'm glad he's been given this opportunity and I'm glad his going opened the door at junior worlds for another skater.

Joesitz said:
It's not that I dislike the selection process for juniors, I'm just saying it appears to me, that the selection for juniors is different from the selection of seniors to World competitions.
Not from what I can tell. The Worlds team is selected from the highest ranked age-eligible skaters. The Junior Worlds team is selected from the highest ranked age-eligible skaters. Both are regardless of level skated. I'm not sure if a junior champion has ever been sent to Worlds by the USFS, but they could be based on the selection process.

Tammi

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Because of its set-up, I can not appreciate the Junior Worlds as a major competition. It's an adjunct to to the Senior Division.
It's going to be similar to JGP's vs GP's. For those that compete though, they'll have an opportunity to earn points and possibly a guaranteed grand prix assignment for next season. I guess you could call it a stepping stone?

Not from what I can tell. The Worlds team is selected from the highest ranked age-eligible skaters. The Junior Worlds team is selected from the highest ranked age-eligible skaters. Both are regardless of level skated. I'm not sure if a junior champion has ever been sent to Worlds by the USFS, but they could be based on the selection process.
And a junior age eligible skater can skate seniors Nationals and avoid junior Nationals and go straight to Junior Worlds. I'm not arguing that this is wrong for you. I'm just stating that it is wrong for me. I find myself disagreeing with authority. Can't help that. It's the way I was brought up. :mad:

BTW, the selection process for seniors turns out every year to be the results of the nationals unless some star was injured and couldn't skate nationals regardless of any decision. Not so with the results of the junior nationals. I believe only numero uno can go to Jr. Worlds, but not sure.:unsure:

ivy

On the Ice
^^^^

It seems to me to be a glorified competition of skaters who now do not skate Senior Worlds, and is not much more than a world wide "B" competition. Of course if one can watch it, we can see Hanyu, Abbott, Reynolds, et al who also skate senior, skate once again into the sunset. That's always fun (but will we see the comp?)

? You seem to be conflating Jr. Worlds and 4CC. As I understand it, Abbott and Reynolds are going to be at 4CC - I think both are too old for Jr's (19 cut off?). Not sure about Hanyu

Tammi

On the Ice
And a junior age eligible skater can skate seniors Nationals and avoid junior Nationals and go straight to Junior Worlds. I'm not arguing that this is wrong for you. I'm just stating that it is wrong for me. I find myself disagreeing with authority. Can't help that. It's the way I was brought up. :mad:
This is a good discussion with lots of great viewpoints. I'm just not understanding the "avoiding" junior nationals. I'm sorry to Jason Brown for using him as an example again, but by choosing to skate senior, he may have given up the junior national title and a higher funded envelope. I don't see that as "avoiding", but instead pushing himself to compete with the senior national skaters.

BTW, the selection process for seniors turns out every year to be the results of the nationals unless some star was injured and couldn't skate nationals regardless of any decision. Not so with the results of the junior nationals. I believe only numero uno can go to Jr. Worlds, but not sure.:unsure:
Actually, I'm not sure this is right, but I'd have to double check the rulebook. I believe the only guaranteed spots are the senior champions for the Olympics. Team selections are exactly as you said, the result of nationals, plus international placements. It's not necessarily the top 3 in each level though, because there are ISU age rules that don't translate to most countries.

This is a good discussion with lots of great viewpoints. I'm just not understanding the "avoiding" junior nationals. I'm sorry to Jason Brown for using him as an example again, but by choosing to skate senior, he may have given up the junior national title and a higher funded envelope. I don't see that as "avoiding", but instead pushing himself to compete with the senior national skaters.
Thank you for discussing this. I do not know that there was a higher funded envelope involved in which case I see him as a good competitor.

Actually, I'm not sure this is right, but I'd have to double check the rulebook. I believe the only guaranteed spots are the senior champions for the Olympics. Team selections are exactly as you said, the result of nationals, plus international placements. It's not necessarily the top 3 in each level though, because there are ISU age rules that don't translate to most countries.
I was speaking more of how the selection is made by tradition for Worlds - results of US Nats. If we use Abbott as an example, he got 4th place and his results of senior GPs didn't count as well as his tie for the GPF and prior national champion. Instead they went totally for the results of the Nats. I just wish they would put that into the USFS regulations.

There are some teams in the Summer Olys that use an Oly comp to determine who goes to the Olys, but not in their Worlds.

mskater93

Record Breaker
This is a very good point because unless he medals at JW, he will drop 1 funding envelope from last season! I think it's good sportsmanship of him - you won last year, move up!

Tammi

On the Ice
I was speaking more of how the selection is made by tradition for Worlds - results of US Nats. If we use Abbott as an example, he got 4th place and his results of senior GPs didn't count as well as his tie for the GPF and prior national champion. Instead they went totally for the results of the Nats. I just wish they would put that into the USFS regulations.
Okay, here is the excerpt from the rulebook (maybe knowing this, we can determine how the selections may have been made):

A. World Championships:
The U.S. World Team shall be selected from those athletes who are ISU senior age eligible and shall include the current U.S. champion in each discipline. The remaining selections shall be based upon the results of the two most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Championship, the most recent Four Continents Championship and all other international events; however, the International Committee may consider extenuating circumstances. Exceptions to the age-eligibility rules which are granted by the ISU will always be allowed.

B. Four Continents Championships:
The team shall be selected from those athletes who are ISU senior age eligible. Consideration shall be given the current U.S. champion in each discipline. Selection to the U.S. Four Continents Team shall be based upon the results of the two most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Championship, the most recent Four Continents Championship and all other international events; however, the International Committee may consider extenuating circumstances. Exceptions to the age-eligibility rules which are granted by the ISU will always be allowed.

C. World Junior Championships:
The U.S. World Junior Team shall be selected from those athletes who are ISU junior age eligible, and shall be based on the results of the two most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Junior Championships, and all other international events including but not limited to the ISU Junior Grand Prix events, or other athletes who have demonstrated capabilities at the world junior level. However, the International Committee may consider extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
^ Joe's point is that whatever the rules say, in seniors the USFSA gives 100% weight to U.S. Nationals and 0% weight to everything else. (The rest of that paragraph, in fact, is just baloney).

In juniors...it is not so clear how they make the determination. Are the three skaters selected for junior worlds the top three age-eligible performers at U.S. Nationals (junior and senior combined), or did the USFSA take some other factor into account?

I find myself disagreeing with authority. Can't help that. It's the way I was brought up. :mad:

That is why it iseems so strange that you want to give The Committeee (representing the official authority of the all-powerful USFSA) the power, in seniors, to override what the skaters achieved on the ice.

Down with authority! Up with skaters!

Tammi

On the Ice
Yup, I understand the different opinion with regards to the senior selections. That subject probably deserves it's own discussion in the Worlds thread. I should have only quoted the junior world selection rule in this particular thread, but I wanted to point out that there are some differences between them.

This is what I found most interesting about the rules for juniors.

...and shall be based on the results of the two most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships,...

To me, this says that if you skate at either senior nationals or junior nationals, how you place there is the most important consideration. So, for instance, they might feel that Jason Brown's performance in seniors was better than Alex Zahradnicek's performance in juniors.

This would make the de facto selection for junior worlds and for senior worlds more or less the same.

Tammi

On the Ice
Excellent, so we can look at Brown and Zahradnicek side by side and see if we would agree with the committee's selection.

Brown ~ 2011 Nationals S9, 2010 Nationals J1
Zahradnicek ~ 2011 Nationals J2, 2010 Nationals J5

Internationally this season
Brown ~ JGP Japan 6th, JGP France 2nd, JGP Final alternate, Gardenia Spring Trophy 1st
Zahradnicek ~ JGP Austria 9th

Maybe Browns 9th place finish in seniors didn't outweigh Zahradnicek's 2nd in junior, but his international results were better, so maybe they did go to that second level in their discussions.

.. so maybe they did go to that second level in their discussions.

Or they could have just gone down the line in terms of scores at 2011 Nationals, among the age eligibles.

Keegan Messing, 69.79 143.50 213.29
Jason Brown, 64.32 144.44 209.76
Max Aaron 62.95 125.72 188.67
Alex Z. 63.81 119.04 182.85