Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gala?

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I'm no fan of Lysacek. In fact, I don't like him at all but...

Evan competed because gala organizers can invite whomever they want, and they invited him. And they invited him because he's the reigning Olympic champion and the first US men's champion in the Olympics since Brian Boitano back in the stone ages.

Lysacek is a worse skater than Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown? What? They're all skaters competing in skating. Lysacek has won a hell of a lot more. Unless you think there is corruption, unfair judging or rules (in which case I'm going to need a lot of proof), Lysacek is the better skater. Jason Brown isn't even in the same hemisphere as Evan in terms of achievement.

What's more accurate to say would be: Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown have better basic skating skills than Evan Lysacek. Jason Brown can potentially have a better skating career than Evan.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The USFS was trying to get people to go to their Rise movie: Evan was part of that promotion.

Also they didn't think the remaining US skaters were enough to sell out the Gala, is my guess. That's what's sad. However, the ladies sold out, and the men's LP was quite full. All good for a place (Greensboro) where they had to get a company that sets up portable ice rinks to do the ice in the Coliseum and to set up the practice rink over a floor, too.

However, the Greensboro people seemed to LOVE the whole thing. They were a very generous audience, yelling, clapping, OOOHing and giving standing ovations. No golf clappers in Greensboro. And the temp ice must have been good, as well as the audience, because I saw no signs of skaters having problems either with the rink or the ice.

As to the Gala, I just watched it on TV; here's who skated to what:
    Ladies shown:
    Alissa Czisny skated to "You'll Never Walk Alone," doing her usual fabulous spins and spirals, and falling on a 2A and a triple jump. She also did her Truth Booth stint, acting as ventriloquist to large stuffed bear, who was being interviewed by Andrea Joyce. The bear said he admired Alissa for her perseverance.

Rachael Flatt skated very well in a pink dress that really didn't suit her to a cover version of Elton John's "Your Song". She showed some really fabulous spread eagles, and a huge Ina Bauer, carrying good speed, and some good jumps.

Mirai Nagasu skated to the exhibition program to "Fireflies" that she has been using all year. She was quite as animated as she usually is in an exhibition (her spins were a hair slower than they usually are), but she skated it very well.

Agnes Zawadzki came out to skate in a quite flattering costume without as many dingle dongles as her competition costumes. I heard a couple of bars of a rock song and we lost power for a couple minutes, so I didn't see the rest of her program. It looked promising as a start, though.

Novice champion Hannah Miller skated to a cover version of "Singin' in the Rain". She came out carrying a yellow umbrella, and wore what I can only describe as a yellow middie dress (collar and all), but with a peculair open back that didn't fit with the front. Like Chen, she is another adorable little moppet.

Men Shown:

Nathan Chen, the 11 year old 2 time novice champion, performed in a cowboy suit to among other things, the theme from the TV show "Rawhide." He is a very cute little moppet, only 4'7".

Jeremy Abbott skated a really nice, light number using a hat as a prop to "The Rhythm of Love" by the Plain White Tees.
    He did a layout camel spin with his hat balanced on the spot on his body where the axis of rotation was, so the hat stayed still. Very cool. He also balanced the hat on his foot while doing a back spiral. He was wearing a short sleeved shirt and spandex jeans.

Ross Miner skated to Bruce Springsteen's "Born To Run" in jeans and a Tar Heels shirt (he had not brought or did not have an exhibition costume.) He opened by doing a hockey stop right into the camera, showering ice chips all over the lens. We got to watch them drip down. Then he did a really good cantilever, spread eagles, 2A, I think 3T? He did a long line of barrel rolls into his final spin. He had good energy considering that the men's long was just a few hours before. I think all the medallists were still sailing on adrenaline and emotion.

Richard Dornbush skated in an unfortunately 70's reminiscent (but appropriate for the music) large print leisure suit Larry shirt and black? pants to "I'm the Boogie Man". It was well skated, but Ryan already won the "boogie woogie" title IMO. I can't remember much about it.

Ryan Bradley, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory soundtrack, in the character of Willy Wonka, hat, blue/purple velvet coat & all (the old version; not Johnny Depp) He skated to "Come With Me" song that's Willy's and then was very cute to the Oompah Loompahs' song. He did a quad (under show lighting !) and did a back flip that looked like he was going to do a toe jump, but turned, did a back flip off one foot and landed on one foot. Scott (as a long time back flipper) was way impressed and said that's just Twisted & sick.

Pairs Shown:

Caitlin Yankowskas and John Coughlin skated to Brickhouse. They did some interviews with John and Ryan, who have been good friends for a long time. Ryan went back with John when John's mother was dying. Tracey, John's mom, urged both guys to continue skating. Ryan and John also did some weird bowling thing where John pushed Ryan (wearing a helmet) on some sort of set of rollers into a garbage can? other can? Quite odd.

Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig skated to "Colors of the Wind" from Disney's Pocohontas movie. They did the biggest and best throw triple loop I've ever seen them do, out of a spread eagle, he pulled her in, and they did the throw. Excellent! Their lifts were of course great. Scott commented that they had a great future in pro skating when they hang up the skates. Well, he's the guy that could make that happen.

Caydee Denney and Jeremy Barrett skated to the Great Divide by Creed.

Dance couples:

Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein skated a very emotional version of Romeo & Juliet, in contrast to their free dance, which was comedic.

Maia and Alex Shibutani skated another old Smoothies type number to La Vie en Rose (they have gorgeous timing). Maia had on a lovely rose pink dress, in much the same style as her free dance dress.

Meryl Davis and Charlie White skated to the The Way I am by Michaelsen and The Rhythm of Love by the Plain White Tees. Charlie skated the whole routine in Buddy Holly style glasses. He had a loud turquoise bow tie, a checked shirt, and black suspenders. Meryl had a nice dress, pink top and a floral skirt. They seemed to be having a lovely time with this nerd and pretty girl routine. They did a number of lifts from their Phantom of the Opera and Tango programs, and some cute steps in between.

That's all I remember, other than that Evan skated to Tango de Roxane, and it looked like Dancing With the Stars had definitely improved his tango expression.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-05-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Well, I'm very sorry I missed it. Thanks for the detailed recap, Dorispulaski, it was great!

I have to give huge props to Alissa's choreographer. She does "You'll Never Walk Alone" and both of the two jumps come on "though your dreams be toss'd and blown." In fact, they had to cut the music rather strangely to make the second one come out that way.

This is pure genius. That way, if she falls -- well, that's her dreams being tossed and blown. But still she spring ups with a determined smile and she ne-ver-walks-a-lone....no, she NE-E-VER Walks A-lone!"

That's 'cause the whole audience is waltzing, Matilda, with her.

PS. The teddy bear interviews are great. Andrea Joyce: "What do you think of Alissa Czisny?" Teddy Bear: "I admire her perseverance.

As do we all, Teddy, as do we all.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-05-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks MM - for closing my day with a big SMILE

Custom Title
    This exhibition reminds me how impressed I was with Evora and Ladwig last year. I'm so glad they continued to do well this year. I also felt that the programs of the two "should-have-won" singles skaters, Abbott and Nagasu, were really beautifully choreographed and skated, probably the best of the bunch. And our ice dancers rock!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This exhibition reminds me how impressed I was with Evora and Ladwig last year. I'm so glad they continued to do well this year. I also felt that the programs of the two "should-have-won" singles skaters, Abbott and Nagasu, were really beautifully choreographed and skated, probably the best of the bunch. And our ice dancers rock!
    Totally agree

E & L totally brought it - lot's of technical stuff and great skating - felt a little like an audition for 'Disney on Ice' though - but really nice

During Jeremy's skate I wondered if he had spent a little less time choreographing and perfecting this program and a little more time on his long program, would he be going to worlds? This program would have felt so different if he be skating as Nat'l champ. Oh well woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Thanks for the links DorisP - look forward to watching my faves again
    Last edited by ivy; 02-06-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Thanks for posting your impressions and then the links, Doris!

I watched Mirai, Jeremy, and Evan. Really loved Mirai and Jeremy, but especially Jeremy. The whimsy style really fits him. Kudos to him on his first piece of choreo.

All I can say is I hope Mirai and Jeremy both to great at 4CC. I just can't get over that our two most talented singles skaters psyched themselves right off the world team.

I enjoyed Evan's tango much more than I thought I would. I haven't much liked his show skating so far but this one I enjoyed well enough. It's hard not to be impressed with his energy and how fit he is a year after his last competition. I also liked his footwork sequences - for once, the arm work mostly emphasized what he was doing with his feet. Perhaps he could hold back a tad more in some parts, but... overall nice choreo if not one for the ages.

This one was of the best galas in a long time. I liked nearly all of the programs. My favourite was Ryan Bradley's though, especially the backflip with a twist.

Custom Title
    Doris! Thanks so much for the summary and the links. Now I can go back and savor everything, and I'll even know what the music is. That Willy Wonka song that Ryan skated to was unfamiliar to me until I heard it in a lovely commercial recently, and I fell in love with it. I thought I'd never be able to figure out where it came from. Now I not only get to listen to it any time I want, I even know its name!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Ryan's program was the bomb. They're something so special about a performer who let's you know there is no place he's rather be than right here entertaining you.

Makes me glad USA is sending him to worlds.

Mirai had a very entertaining number!

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Rachael Flatt's spread eagles are just wow!

Custom Title
    They sure are, Chem. I'm impressed with her spreadeagles and Ina Bauer every time I see them. Beautiful line and flow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast