Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gala?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It particularly impresses me that her butt isn't sticking out when she does the spread eagles, as so many ladies' butts do. In fact, I'm not sure if any current lady has better spread eagles than Rachael?

Alissa can't tuck her butt in, for example.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It particularly impresses me that her butt isn't sticking out when she does the spread eagles, as so many ladies' butts do. In fact, I'm not sure if any current lady has better spread eagles than Rachael?

I think Rachael's spread eagles are her signature move. Among current ladies, who has the better ones than she?????

If there is none in current ladies, who had the best ones in the past? I am curious.

Jonathan Cassar is the one who let me know how beautiful men's spread eagles are and I think Ross Miner's were pretty good too.

Any other examples? Maybe North Americans traditionally have strength in that area?

Doris, thank you for the links. I am impressed by them. So much energy, diversity, excitement and dramas. Wow, I like most of them and envy US fans.

Behind the scenes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTj3x...layer_embedded
    Last edited by sunny0760; 02-08-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Custom Title
    I have a recollection of Boitano doing a professional program that was based almost entirely on spreadeagles. Anyone else remember it? He was known for them, as was Peggy Fleming. One specialty move sequence of hers was the spreadeagle-double axel-spreadeagle, which I think even today would get high marks.

I used to love the move Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze did, where she did a spreadeagle and he glided along with her. I seem to recall the opposite configuration in the ice dancers Klimova and Ponomarenko, in which he did a spreadeagle and she drifted along embracing him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I have a recollection of Boitano doing a professional program that was based almost entirely on spreadeagles. Anyone else remember it? He was known for them, as was Peggy Fleming. One specialty move sequence of hers was the spreadeagle-double axel-spreadeagle, which I think even today would get high marks.

I used to love the move Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze did, where she did a spreadeagle and he glided along with her. I seem to recall the opposite configuration in the ice dancers Klimova and Ponomarenko, in which he did a spreadeagle and she drifted along embracing him.
    Thank you so much, Olympia!!! I will look for them.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Alissa seems to have trouble completely straightening her standing leg on some moves. It doesn't really take away from her spirals or spins but from her spread eagles it does a bit. It could be a structural thing.

Paul Wylie had beautiful spread eagles along with Brian Boitano (& yes, I remember Brian's program based on spread eagles.)

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    What I'm actually wondering is why they showed the Novice champions and not the Juniors (Courtney Hicks and Max Aaron). I really wanted to see if Courtney would do her spin that everyone keeps mentioning, and there's rarely Junior videos on YouTube.

I can't do IceNetwork because even if I bought it, the streaming quality on my college internet is horribly bad more often than not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Paul Wylie had beautiful spread eagles along with Brian Boitano (& yes, I remember Brian's program based on spread eagles.)
    Oh, my goodness! How could I not have mentioned Paul! Thanks for putting the spotlight on him. His line and extensions are so wonderful, and he's one of my favorites ever. When I need an uplift, I watch his Olympic long program to the music from Henry V. He also has a wonderful Ina Bauer and tremendous footwork. I always thought highly of the Scotvolds as coaches when I watched his meticulous technique, and I'm so grateful he peaked during the era when pro skating was so popular, because we got to see him for so many rewarding years.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Oh, my goodness! How could I not have mentioned Paul! Thanks for putting the spotlight on him. His line and extensions are so wonderful, and he's one of my favorites ever. When I need an uplift, I watch his Olympic long program to the music from Henry V. He also has a wonderful Ina Bauer and tremendous footwork. I always thought highly of the Scotvolds as coaches when I watched his meticulous technique, and I'm so grateful he peaked during the era when pro skating was so popular, because we got to see him for so many rewarding years.
    That's one of my uplift programs, too.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=Chemistry66;549683]What I'm actually wondering is why they showed the Novice champions and not the Juniors (Courtney Hicks and Max Aaron).

NBC loves the 'cute' factor of novice it would seem. Can't really remember the last time a junior champion made the network TV broadcast. Seems there is always a cute little jumping bean to highlight. At least they did broadcast a 2 hour show with almost all of it actual skating.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    I know Boitano's are considered the best, but I think Paul's are a million times better.

I love Brian, Paul, & Jonathan Cassar's spread eagles, and always look forward to seeing them in their programs. .

Custom Title
    Here's a performance on a small rink by Lucinda Ruh, with a spreadeagle and an Ina Bauer to die for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrtrisFi8Z8&NR=1

There's another performance of this routine on YouTube when Lucinda competes at Landover around the same time. I'm sorry she isn't still skating. What a breath of fresh air she was in skating.

[QUOTE=Binthere;549939]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    NBC loves the 'cute' factor of novice it would seem. Can't really remember the last time a junior champion made the network TV broadcast. Seems there is always a cute little jumping bean to highlight. At least they did broadcast a 2 hour show with almost all of it actual skating.
    Nagasu.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3