Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST) | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

MAybe Ryan will do what Sara MEier did and dont go to Worlds, he might choose SOI as National Champion, come to KOI, and lave on high note. What to do at worlds?
Actually this is not the time to take his moment away, this weekend is oldies revenge!!!!

I m thrilled he won!

Wait a minute. did you say that Sarah Meier said she's not going to this year's Worlds? How did I miss that?

Ravensque

On the Ice
Congrats to Ryan.....he is an awsome show skater and this win will give him a foot in to do shows, think? Perhaps he'll retire this year (it will make some people happy, I know) and go on his merry way to a successful show skating career. There's lots of time for the youngsters to develop, and if he does decide to go to Worlds, it will take the pressure off the younger ones. I'm Canadian, but I'm happy to see him win....he earned it.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
While it's not official policy to send the silver and bronze medalists to worlds if they're age-eligible, it's certainly how it's done in years past which creates an expectation and a de facto rule. It would be hugely unfair to deny Dornbush or Miner the spot at Worlds that they earned by beating Abbott directly. Yes, this may cost the US a spot at the next worlds, but is that more important than fairness? Really, I am shocked at all these people who are suggesting such a thing. If securing one spot is more important than being fair and accountable to the athletes, then the USFS doesn't deserve to be responsible for them.

Please, the USFSA priority should be in its own best interests which would of course be a better chance of doing well at Worlds and securing more spots for next year.

Furthermore Abbott has been skating at a level far beyond Dornbush and Miner all season despite being nowhere near his best, and lost to them by tiny margins here. In an international event he would have easily beaten both even with their respective performances here as skaters like Dornbush and Miner would get horrible PCS on an international level too. It would in fact be more fair to send Abbott to Worlds than send both of those over him, and I am not an Abbott fan in the least.

This feels like Alissa's win two years ago.

I look forward to seeing Ryan in SOI. He'll be a fantabulous addition to the show.

gold12345

Medalist
While it's not official policy to send the silver and bronze medalists to worlds if they're age-eligible, it's certainly how it's done in years past which creates an expectation and a de facto rule. It would be hugely unfair to deny Dornbush or Miner the spot at Worlds that they earned by beating Abbott directly. Yes, this may cost the US a spot at the next worlds, but is that more important than fairness? Really, I am shocked at all these people who are suggesting such a thing. If securing one spot is more important than being fair and accountable to the athletes, then the USFS doesn't deserve to be responsible for them.

This is a case of a very accomplished skater having a rough day and finishing a mere .19 behind a skater with no international accomplishments at this level. To me, it is only fair to take into account prior competition history in picking something as important as a World Championship team. Miner did a great job, but he also wasn't skating with the pressure of trying to win something three times in a row like Abbott.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The first one was definitely UR.

:eek: Wait, Bradley's quad wasn't considered to be UR? You've GOT to be kidding! Even Scott Hamilton who usually doesn't recognize UR jumps called it UR on the broadcast!

emma

Record Breaker
i thought the first quad was underrotated but that the second was in combination. I feel so bad for Jeremy. I hope he keeps his chin up and keeps working hard; I want to seem on the world team with a world medal!!! I actually feel bad for Mroz too; just wasnt' a good skate. And poor Ripon. yikes. But so many other men stepped up, including our silver and bronze medalists. I'm a little confused about their pcs; love to hear an expert opinion. But congratulations to both of them and to Ryan, of course!

nataliem

Spectator
Worlds will be an eye opener.:laugh:

With Chan and Japanese boys, I am pretty sure Worlds will be:think:
Chan will score much higher even with 4 falls comparing to American guys.
Anyway European guys are not really doing much better, so maybe the Americans have the chance to save 2 spots. 3 will be tough if they just send the podium to Tokyo.

seniorita

Record Breaker
aside from Abbott and maybe Rippon, no I don't think he's drastically "worse" than the others.
Oh girl I dont wanna ruin your night, say no more. But you are a worst fangirl than me :p
Open Champagne???:D

Yes IOlympia Sara wont go to Worlds, she kept it only because Euros were in Bern. She had said she would retire and I think it is a very good choice.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Thrilled for Ryan. I tho't after the announcement that Bradley won, Dornbush 2nd & Miner 3rd that these Nationals should be labeled the Year of the Entertainers.
Bradley's humorous routine, Dornbush's Sherlock Holmes & Miner's Casablanca. Will we see similar
routines from the other competitors in the future? Rippon & Mahbanoozadeh were great tonight as well. I see that young Jason Brown moved up in the standings & placed 9th. I really like him & think we'll see him in another year or two.

emma

Record Breaker
Wait a minute. did you say that Sarah Meier said she's not going to this year's Worlds? How did I miss that?

I missed it too - still haven't caught up with the Euros thread. I was delighted to hear she won, though. Ok, back on topic here: so, do you think Ryan would say: thanks! Bye! I can see that, but I can also see wanting that one last shot at the world stage.

Furthermore Abbott has been skating at a level far beyond Dornbush and Miner all season despite being nowhere near his best, and lost to them by tiny margins here. In an international event he would have easily beaten both even with their respective performances here as skaters like Dornbush and Miner would get horrible PCS on an international level too. It would in fact be more fair to send Abbott to Worlds than send both of those over him, and I am not an Abbott fan in the least.
Yup - Jeremy got punished for his mistakes, but Ryan didn't, and it threw everything off. I'm not really an Abbott fan either but he skated so beautifully - when he wasn't falling. :sheesh:

Layfan

Record Breaker

As crushed as I am for Jeremy, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The U.S. set a precedent in 2009 when they didn't send Johnny despite Johnny's cries that he deserved it. And Jeremy doesn't even half the international record that Johnny did.

Please, the USFSA priority should be in its own best interests which would of course be a better chance of doing well at Worlds and securing more spots for next year.

Well, the USFSA is not soliciting opinions about what their priority should be.

Every time this question comes up, I think the trump card is, the skaters, parents, coaches, and local clubs want the athletes to skate for it. Not to go by the "best interests" of the USFSA.

Down with the establishment, up with the people! :yes: