Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST) | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

genki

On the Ice
It's about who earned the spot this afternoon.

Really? I am not sure. Probably the winner should go to worlds, but doesn't it make much more sense to weigh other domestic/international results and the ranking to MAXIMIZE the possibility of US medaling at worlds? I believe that is one of the important responsibilities of the federation too.

gold12345

Medalist
The difference between 3rd and 4th is like 0.16 Seriously, is the difference even significant?

No, it's pretty much a tie-- and that's with Miner giving the skate of his life, and Abbott making several mistakes. Abbott felt that he had peaked at Nationals last year and didn't have enough left for Olympics/Worlds. God forbid our country's top skaters focus on having enough gas for the important International competitions later in the season rather than peaking at Nationals. :rolleye:

But it seems to me that the USFSA has always been more interested in running its domestic national figure skating program than in finagling for advantage in international competition.

I like that. There are a hundreds of figure skating clubs in the U.S. and tens of thousands of aspiring skaters. Every one of these youngsters can dream of making it to Nationals, having a skate-of-their-life, and representing the stars and stripes at the world championship.

Well, I will definitely agree with you that USFS seems to believe its Nationals are incredibly important. The skaters are being forced to peak here and try to give the "skate of their lives" here rather than leaving anything in the tank for Worlds/Olympics. Which is more important? Nationals or Worlds? Hmm.

As for your second statement, why can't skaters dream of earning a spot on the World team based on a good Nationals result and solid International results? It just seems more logical to me to take into account more than one competition.

Dornbush would have little chance for the podium under 6.0. The top three from the TP skate for the podium regardless of TP placements and for someone out of the first three spots in the TP, it takes some convulated twist of fate and calculation to win or medal.

Which is exactly what happened in this event. The first place guy in the SP fell to fourth, the second place guy fell to sixth, and the third place guy fell to ninth.

There's your convoluted twist of fate right there.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Everybody's first Worlds is their first Worlds. Let's give them a chance. We can always complain afterwards if they mess up. :yes:

Afterwards? You spoilsport!

Which is exactly what happened in this event. The first place guy in the SP fell to fourth, the second place guy fell to sixth, and the third place guy fell to ninth.

There's your convoluted twist of fate right there.

So there is no difference between 6.0 and COP. Plus ca change.........

Last edited:
Russians would never do that,...

That is true.

...it's illogical.

Only if you believe that the most important consideration is selecting the team that you think has the greatest probability of winning high placements at Worlds.

I know. This is the Russian way. It is the French way. It is the Azerbaijan way. It is the ISU way. So be it...I guess.

Edited to remove Canada from the naughty list, in view of Siberia82's post. :)

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think it is a wrong move that we (US) are not sending Miner and Dornbush to 4CC. I think they need the international experience before Worlds. Heck they are young whippersnappers and hungry. Could it be the US does not want to risk embarrassment on the international scene, just a thought.

nataliem

Spectator
I'm not really impressed about the whole "national team" concept as Figure Skating is an individual sport as tennis. Maybe figure skating should take the same method as Grand Slams, say, if your ranking is higher than X, you are automatically selected to the worlds. The higher ranked skaters may help their nations to secure more spots.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Max Aaron, Jason Brown and Keegan Messing are going to World Juniors.

I do think America's depth is pretty ridiculously awesome, and this trio should be able to secure the maximum number of JGP slots for next season.

I'm not really impressed about the whole "national team" concept as Figure Skating is an individual sport as tennis. Maybe figure skating should take the same method as Grand Slams, say, if your ranking is higher than X, you are automatically selected to the worlds. The higher ranked skaters may help their nations to secure more spots.

I think it is practically impossible for this idea to make any headway the way the ISU is organized. The Members of the ISU are the National Federations. They are not going to vote themselves into irrelevance.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Yay, the USFS made the fair decision according their own established rules. I will never understand sports fans who want rules changed retroactively to benefit their favorites. To me, the greatest and most important thing about sport is that fairness is a priority. That is rarely true of anything else in life. Without fairness, there is no competition. Without set rules, same deal. If you don't like fairness or established rules, you don't actually like competition, you just like a certain predetermined result.

While I find Ross Miner dreadfully dull, and would rather watch Abbott any day of the week, I'd still rather watch Miner at worlds than to see the rules being ignored.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dornbush won the JGP Final.

Ross competed pretty well on the Grand Prix this fall.

So Worlds will not be their first international competion at a high level, by any means.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The Four Continents team is way stronger than the World team. Sorry but the U.S men are going to do so bad at Worlds. I wont be surprised in the least if they fail to even retain TWO spots. What do they have to reach to keep 2 spots, doesnt someone need a top 10 finish.

The U.S are going to regret leaving Abbott and Nagasu at home in favor of people like Flatt and Miner, I gaurantee it.

ks777

Record Breaker
Aside from the last three men, what a great afternoon of skating it was. Dornbush was my favorite - loved him at the JGPF, love him even more now. This is a great program for him, and he really sold it. Plus those jumps! I also really enjoyed Mahbanoozadeh, Messing & Cassar. I can't wait to see Brown's FS - seems like he had a great one and I normally love his skating.
Yeah Dornbush was my favorite also!