Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST) | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

OK, yes, the quads in the FS were poor, but there was also the SP, which is why Bradley had the buffer that he did. He did 4T+3T, 3A, 3F. Not too shabby in the jump department.

I wasn't complaining. Just pointing out that the 2010-2011 rules give huge rewards for quads without much regard for quality.

I think this was a deliberate decision on the part of the ISU, to reduce the negative GOEs on a quad.

For historical reasons, has it ever happened that a world champion or someone with many medals, didnt deliver at the next year nationals and they gave him another chance?

I don't think so. But sometimes there is a suspicion that the old champion is given inflated scores at Nationals just to make sure this problem doesn't arise. ;)

and Mathman, these were the worst two quads in fs history? !! :laugh:

There have been worse, but with an appropriate penalty. Ryan got away stark free.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Ryan had the great short but Jeremy also had the great short but they certainly didn't consider him.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Eh, the whole thing strikes me as too serendipitous to either change or really work with.

For example, if Tomas Verner hadn't bombed so royally in 2008, he likely would've been ahead of Carriere/Abbott. If so, the USA has only two spots in 2009. If so, and they stick with the Nationals results, Mroz and Abbott go to Worlds, Lysacek misses out on winning Worlds, etc etc. On the other hand, if Lysacek didn't have to WD from 2008 worlds, this whole thing is moot, as they're likely gonna get the three spots.

Top two placements is equal to or less than 28 is required for two slots, though. Losing that would be pretty disasterous, but not implausible.

seniorita

Record Breaker
There have been worse, but with an appropriate penalty. Ryan got away stark free.
yes but why US judges would do that? They had any reason to promote Bradley? This i dont understand.

So if Lysacek came back next seasona and qas doing well in Gps, but placed lower than the World spots because he did have a bad night, they would say to Olympic Champion stay home, we will send Durnbuss?
I m not debating, Abott is not Lysacek, I m trying to understand how strict are the rules.

The argument has been whether to send the skaters based on one hometown competition or arriving at a decision based on present and past performances taking in the possible unneasiness of a competitor. The hometown results leave no room for argument. It's a queston of whether the strongest team is more important than a lucky team.
The cries for Mirai are real and I agree with them as I am for a review of present and past performances. Personally I would prefer to see Mirai and Rachael at Worlds for getting back the 3 positions for next season. It didn't happen and so I am hoping for the present World Team to do it. It is possible that Rachael and Alissa can place in the total range of 13.

Not so sure about the Men. We are sending two greenhorns to Worlds but both have done well in international competitions before so I am hoping they rise to the occasion. There are fiercely better competitors in the Worlds' Men's division than the Ladies division. I am not convinced that Ryan will hold up but I hope he does.

yes but why US judges would do that? They had any reason to promote Bradley? This i dont understand.

I don't think there was any plot to promote Bradley's fortunes. The technical panel , after review, decided that both quads were rotated enough not to get a UR call. The judges did take off negative GOE as appropriate. Quads get high base values, and negative GOEs are just a straight scale -1, -2, -3, not proportioned to the base value. So that's how the points added up.

The ISU deliberately tweaked the rules that way last year in otrder to encourage more men to take a chance and try a quad. So far, it seems to be working.

So if Lysacek came back next season and was doing well in Gps, but placed lower than the World spots because he did have a bad night, they would say to Olympic Champion stay home, we will send Durnbuss?

I believe that the USFSA would send Dornbush to worlds and keep Lysacek home in that scenario. They would retain the right to send Lysacek if they wanted to, but I think that they would not excercise that right in this case. (I could be wrong. I am not the president of the USFSA. This is just my reading of the mindset of the top brass.)

I believe that the USFSA would send Dornbush to worlds and keep Lysacek home in that scenario. They would retain the right to send Lysacek if they wanted to, but I think that they would not excercise that right in this case. (I could be wrong. I am not the president of the USFSA. This is just my reading of the mindset of the top brass.)
Exactly, but that is just one opinion. Nothing wrong with opinions, the Board is full of them.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Ryan did just enough to win the title. Although half of his jumps are really sloppy, at least he rotated them and didn't fall, and having 10points cushion help him too. I though the first quad looks underrotated, but if that jump was <, it will come to 70% value and slap with -GOE, he still get away with at least 5-6 points.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The top 3 US Mens is definitely not as strong as the top 3 Japanese men.

But I think they're referring to how "deep" the field is. When you compare the top 12 US Men vs. the top 12 Japanese men, Scott and Sandra thinks the US is deeper. Maybe after this competition someone who has also watched the top 12 men at Japanese Nationals and comment on this???

That was what I thought. They were talking about the deepth of US men who are close to the international level, not the deepth of international winning group. Scott and Sandra were right on this. These men could be easily jump onto the international scene and make splash.

Jeremy cute and funny in the K&C

I thought his performance at K&C before the scores came up showed that he didn't really think that he could be left off the podium.

Funny that Ross Miner resembles Jeremy very much.

I thought Miner resembled Johnny Weir a lot more with his jumps and beautiful arms and crossovers, and jumps and beautiful arms and crossovers...

It was disappointing night in skating. Yes, great for the news guys who did well - especially Dornbush. But it didn't make up for Jeremy's meltdown and Rippon's disappointing over all competition.

Agree. To me, the worst Nationals since 2008.

Abbott, Rippon and Armin are going to 4CC.

Dornbush, Bradley and Miner going to Worlds.

Let's see if Bradley could charm out international judges like he did to US judges. US did do their country a favor by crowning Bradley though.

Nobody could help Jeremy with the skating he did. He was even noticably tense on transition moves. Looked at him standing with his coaches, you could clearly see how nervous he was. I've already had a bad feeling even before he took ice for his LP. I hate to see him going down the way Johnny did - his earring, new hair-dos, tweeter king, talking big off ice, and everything.

I really wanted Jeremy to win so Yuka Sato could win coach of the year. :)

Me too.

Last edited:
I wanted him to place at least to be on the team. The USFS does not go for the strongest team selection; just the Nats results.

hongligl

Final Flight
I love Ryan's interview! He's so frank and down to earth. Yes he didn't do well in the long, but he fought hard and I'm happy that he won. So sorry for Jeremey. He changed his timing but I guess the tweeking of peak was not very successful. Instead of not peaking at World, he can't even go to World now. Maybe it was not a matter of peaking, but more a matter of nerve. OK, what's done is done. Do better next year

sidwich

Rinkside
I agree. I don't think Jeremy really thought he would be off the podium. You could see how stricken he was when the scores came up.

I am somewhat concerned that Bradley, Dornbush and Miner won't make the 28 in placements necessary for 2 spots in 2012, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy deserved to be left out on podium with his truly desastrous skating. But I do wish he could be given a chance to the worlds instead of Miner. I guess USFSA would rather choose the no brainer way for anyone who is not Michelle Kwan.

Last edited:

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Ryan Bradley won because the only person who challenged him for the title had been ten points behind him in the SP. If it had been Jeremy or one of the other leaders then fine, but Ryan won because it's a two-part completion. I'm fine with that. :) It's always very nice when the best LP also translates into best overall, but since this IS a competition that is done in parts, it's completely fine that what happened tonight happened. I'm not emotionally invested in any of the skaters, so I guess maybe it's easier for me to feel that way?

Anyway, I'm excited for all the medalists. I had no idea who Richard Dornbush was at ALL but you've got to love someone who skates to Sherlock Holmes; not to mention that he was really good. I was thrilled that he was able to hang on for silver! And I love that Ryan Bradley, the crowd favorite, was able to pull it off. SO many athletes completely forget about the audience when they skate and view their program as something that only relates to them and just zone out, but I LOVE that Ryan had the performance part down pat.

All in all, a very satisfying Nationals for me, with the exception of Jeremy. Poor guy; I felt so bad. It was almost like he was taking a page out of Evan's book last year when Evan didn't do so well at Nationals and peaked at the Olympics, but I'm sure Jeremy never thought he'd do so badly as to stay off the World team. What a disappointment for him.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Also, it's worth noting that Brandon Mroz, who up to that point was in his first year of seniors and finished well below Jeremy in the GP series ended up beating Jeremy at this competition by finishing 9th. So actually Evan only needed to finish 4th to keep the 3 Olympic spots. So the theory that previous Worlds experience gives extra security for spots is a bit flawed when you consider those things.

ETA: So of course it's a shame that Brandon has not been able to repeat similar success since that year, previous GP serious notwithstanding.

Thanks Mrs. P. I guess I had it in my head that Brandon finished lower than Jeremy at 2009 worlds.

I honestly don't think Jeremy is the anchor that deserves to be gifted onto the team. Extremely talented skater yes. Anchor, no.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Let's see if Bradley could charm out international judges like he did to US judges. US did do their country a favor by crowning Bradley though.

His PCS last season internationally

TEB SP: 28.45 5.75 5.35 5.75 5.85 5.75
TEB LP: 56.70 5.55 5.65 5.50 5.85 5.80

SA SP: 29.30 5.70 5.60 6.15 5.85 6.00
SA LP: 68.50 6.40 6.55 7.15 6.90 7.25

4CC SP: 31.70 6.40 5.95 6.55 6.35 6.45
4CC LP: 70.80 6.85 6.60 7.50 7.10 7.35

Worlds SP: 30.80 6.35 5.90 6.10 6.25 6.20
Worlds LP: 58.90 5.75 5.65 5.85 6.05 6.15

merrywidow

Record Breaker
IMO, if the Board does decide to replace Miner than I'd rather it be Rippon than Abbott. Adam showed us that he can make a mistake & then knuckle down, fight & skate a beautiful program. Abbott falls apart when he makes a mistake or 2. Another reason is their ages. Abbott isn't going to be around for Sochi. He'll be 28 in '14. Adam will be 24 & I believe its time to start building a team for the next Olympics. BTW, I was reminded of Michael Flatley (River Dance dancer) when I watched Ross Miner.

Layfan

Record Breaker
His PCS last season internationally

TEB SP: 28.45 5.75 5.35 5.75 5.85 5.75
TEB LP: 56.70 5.55 5.65 5.50 5.85 5.80

SA SP: 29.30 5.70 5.60 6.15 5.85 6.00
SA LP: 68.50 6.40 6.55 7.15 6.90 7.25

4CC SP: 31.70 6.40 5.95 6.55 6.35 6.45
4CC LP: 70.80 6.85 6.60 7.50 7.10 7.35

Worlds SP: 30.80 6.35 5.90 6.10 6.25 6.20
Worlds LP: 58.90 5.75 5.65 5.85 6.05 6.15

He needs to land those quads.