Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST) | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
What is this nonsense about peaking at a certain time? If you're well trained, you should do what you're trained to do.

seniorita

Record Breaker
There was a documentary that athletes cannot make the best of their training multiple times per season, emotionally and physically.When the competitions for figure skating are rather close it might happen. Something like you can peak maximum once per month and you have to pace your training accordingly to peak on a certain time. I think it was for tennis but I believe it applies in many cases.

wallow

Spectator
It doesn't matter who they send this year, US won't get 3 spots this year. If they do it'll probably be because of Dornbush and Miner.

Jeremy doesn't have the good track record at Worlds to bump someone else off the team.

sunny0760

On the Ice
I had not expected that I would see Dornbush's and Meiner's programs multiple times. Better programs and better performances than several others from GPS.
Have not seen Jeremy's because it is so disheartening to see it. Really want to say to him, "Cheer up and go ahead!"
Heart warming moment for Bradley.
There were a lot of surprises, unexpected things and enough dramas... I don't think it was a bad competition. That's the sports.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's good to see Jeremy sleeping peacefully after the competition. :)

Jeremy is a sweet, smart, funny and generally very positive person. It's on competition ice that he has mental issues, needing more fortitude, confidence and competitiveness.

There are various problems I see in his goal setting which is an extremely important success factor that most people don't know how to do properly.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find Ryan's National championship way more upsetting than Miner/Dornbush being sent to Worlds. I have no issues with Ryan, but his skating skills aren't that good and his quads were underrotated. Thats what wasn't right.

I agree with every word. Next to the 2003 US Nationals men's event, this was the most bizarrely bad US men's figure skating competition I've ever seen! And to think I almost considered attending it live; I'm so glad I didn't! :yes: Dornbush should be the National Champion. Ryan's TES and PCS marks should be lower than what they were in the LP.

Last edited:
I don't think it was a bad competition at all. There were a bunch of great performances, including Dornbush's LP, Miner's LP and Bradley's SP.

The outcome wasn't what was predicted, but isn't that the spice of life?

Did Bradley deserve to win? Well, he deserved to win the short program and to be way ahead of everyone except Abbott, and he was. In the long program he did some good stuff, some bad stuff, and the points added up the way they added up.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Then we will have two Sherlock Holmes at Worlds (i suppose Liebens is going?) , i love the music!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Did Bradley deserve to win? Well, he deserved to win the short program and to be way ahead of everyone except Abbott, and he was. In the long program he did some good stuff, some bad stuff, and the points added up the way they added up.

I usually do not debate TES but Bradley's LP raises a lot of questions for me.

A lot of Chan detractors point fingers at Canadian judges and even international judges at Skate Canada and allege inflation and worse. But judges at internation events regularly score in agreement with them. I seriously doubt judges and tech panel at the World Champiionship will view the US Champion's program the same way and make the same calls as those American officials.

But hey, I have no stake in this, except for not being able to see Jeremy skate, hopefully at his best, at the World's stage.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
People who think Dornbush should win over Bradley really need to take the effort to go see Dornbush's SP first. That ish was weak like an anemic baby. He skated to fiery flamenco music like it was a funeral march for a teacher he didn't like. He made mistakes on the landings of all three jumping passes. And his hunched shoulders really clash with the attempt at flamenco styling which emphasizes an extremely proud and strong posture. If you just saw Dornbush's FS, which was entertaining and witty and fun in excess of what any competitive program had a right to be, you might think his SP was close to that level. It wasn't. Unless he dramatically improves his presentation before worlds, Dornbush might be better off going back to an older program.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People shouldn't be surprised that the US isn't as strong as they have been in the past. We lost both the Olympic champion and also Johnny Weir. Those two were american mens skating for the last several years. It was almost a guarantee at Worlds every year that the two of them would get 3 sports for the next year. We were spoiled. Teams have to rebuild from time to time.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
People shouldn't be surprised that the US isn't as strong as they have been in the past. We lost both the Olympic champion and also Johnny Weir. Those two were american mens skating for the last several years. It was almost a guarantee at Worlds every year that the two of them would get 3 sports for the next year. We were spoiled. Teams have to rebuild from time to time.

Anyone know when the last time the U.S. men had fewer than three spots was? I know with the women it was in the Tonya-Nancy era. (That drought didn't last as long as this one thanks to ... who else? The Kween :) Well, okay really Nicole Bobek who won the bronze in 1995. Michelle was fourth. Ah for those days....)

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People shouldn't be surprised that the US isn't as strong as they have been in the past. We lost both the Olympic champion and also Johnny Weir. Those two were american mens skating for the last several years. It was almost a guarantee at Worlds every year that the two of them would get 3 sports for the next year.

And yet both jumped ship before 2010 Worlds and who earned the 3 spots for 2011? Jeremy Abbott and Adam Rippon did! In 2008, it was Johnny and Stephen Carriere and in 2009, it was any combination of Evan and Brandon Mroz or Jeremy Abbott that would have totaled the magic 13 number for 3 spots. Evan and Johnny haven't combined to get the US 3 spots since 2007 Worlds, 4 seasons ago, the last time both competed for the World team at the same time.

Last edited:

wallow

Spectator
Last year's worlds was watered down because a couple of top guys decided to skip out. In previous years the men have needed Evan or Johnny to get those 3 spots.

wallylutz

Medalist
Last year's worlds was watered down because a couple of top guys decided to skip out. In previous years the men have needed Evan or Johnny to get those 3 spots.

Not really, the notable absences last year were men who weren't competing at the 2009 Worlds. Neither Lambiel or Plushenko were there. Oda was in the 2010 Worlds but bombed. It is only Evan and Johnny who skipped but since they are Americans, their placements would be inconsequential to how Adam or Jeremey ended up. So the 2010 Worlds turned out to be a fairly comparable year to the previous Worlds minus the notable American skaters who decided to skip the event.