Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST) | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

yunafan1860

Rinkside
Jeremy on FB:

"To those who skated their best Congrats and well deserved. As 4 me I am sorry. Just wasn't my year I guess. Regroup / refocus 4 the future."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh girl I dont wanna ruin your night, say no more. But you are a worst fangirl than me :p
Open Champagne???:D

Yes IOlympia Sara wont go to Worlds, she kept it only because Euros were in Bern. She had said she would retire and I think it is a very good choice.

meh. not trying to be a fangirl, just not overly impressed with any of the others I suppose as far as skating skills. But then I also love watching Keegan Messing skate, and I'm pretty sure he ranks low on everyone's SS list, too.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Ryan did get the lowest skating skill marks of the top skaters, and even lower transition marks. Even his interpretation score is lower than Adam Rippon's. He had some of the lowest PCS of the top skaters.

I agree his skating skill marks should be lower, while his interpretation mark and performance/execution score should be higher.

I also agree that his first quad toe should have a UR call, while his second one should be marked as a combo with the 2t.

At the same time, I think Dornbush's SS should be much higher (he is faassssst), his P/E should be slightly higher (carriage is one of the consideration for P/E and that's where I'd ding him for his hunched shoulders), and his int should be higher.

I'd need to actually see Dornbush's SP to see if he's undermarked enough there to justify him winning overall. But my feeling is that Ryan could've won fair and square even if Dornbush didn't suffer n00b PCS.

seniorita

Record Breaker
meh. not trying to be a fangirl, just not overly impressed with any of the others I suppose as far as skating skills. But then I also love watching Keegan Messing skate, and I'm pretty sure he ranks low on everyone's SS list, too.

welll...he is kinda slooow and makes KVDP look like Chan, but I dont care. He is awesome, made my weekend and I hope he comes in European shows as well! I hope he is happy now after missing Olympics!

Why I m watching NBC news? LOL

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, I want to toss this out there again.

Ryan Bradley tacked on a double toe to his second quad to ensure that he got credit for a combo.

He didn't - the protocols list it as a 4T+Seq.

If so, that double toe should be considered another jumping pass, right?

If that's true, then his final jumping pass doesn't count.

His final jumping pass is a 3F that got him 6.83 points

He won by 6.44 points.

Can someone explain where I'm wrong? Maybe the protocols I'm looking at are wrong?

... giving him credit for the 4t2t would give him an extra 3.4 points, fwiw.

Serious Business

Record Breaker

Not on mine. Keegan is fast when he's on and aggressive (he showed a tiny bit of that at the start of his FS just now, only to peter out almost immediately). Also Keegan's besti squat slide (which he omitted for this FS for some horrible reason unless he did it and I missed it) is an incredible and unique skill involving supreme edge control. Keegan has the potential to score huge on SS.

Bradley on the other hand was rightly scored low on SS at this competition (should be even lower). Not only is his speed subpar and his steps simple, but his direction changes are few.

Despite all that, Ryan could still fairly deserve to win this competition (I just have to see Dornbush's SP to decide), just with a lower score.

Layfan

Record Breaker
If you can separate how adorable Ryan is from his actual skating, don't you honestly think his skating skills are overmarked?

ETA: Speaking of skating skills, Dornbush's jumped up a point from the SP to the FP (acc. to the judges). That is some fast reputation judging! He deserved it, though.

Well, yes, I do. I thought especially in the SP his footwork was slooooooooooow. But he makes up for it in interpretation. So, I think, for instance, in the SP, Jeremy deserved WAY WAY higher PCS for his faster and more precise skating and his better spins. But Ryan does deserve huge performance/intpretation scores, plus he deserved his huge marks for his SP jumps, which were very well executed.

So, in all, I think the outcome was fair. If Richard had skated better in the short I wouldn't say the same thing, although Ryan still would have deserved to medal. All those new guys who did so well had very shaky SPs.

I am suprised he got credit fo his first quad but his second one rotated.

I'm glad to hear reputation judging worked so quickly for Dornbush :) He was the best of the night for sure. I thought he was magnificent.

If only Jeremy had done what Ryan did - held it together despite initial mistakes - he'd at least be on the podium. I'm shocked at the way he sabotaged himself.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
welll...he is kinda slooow and makes KVDP look like Chan, but I dont care. He is awesome, made my weekend and I hope he comes in European shows as well! I hope he is happy now after missing Olympics!

Why I m watching NBC news? LOL

in what way does he make KVDP look like Chan? Kevin's cute, but dull... (I do like watching him skate when his jumps are on though). Oh, well, wait... I think Chan is dull too, so yeah next to Ryan everyone's dull! ;)

wallylutz

Medalist
I'm not impressed with Bradley's clowning. Jeremy had the most beautiful and sophiscated program and skating. Too bad he blew it on the jumps. :cry:

I don't see any American man with a medal hope.

I hate to agree with you. Bradley's PCS score leaves me speechless and not in a good way. He skated the exact same program at last year's 4CC and got dinged badly on the 2nd mark with good reasons and he hasn't improved an iota. The first minute of the program had almost no transitions to speak of due to his long set ups for the 2 Quads, which he missed. Although highly entertaining, the choreography is simple - there is just no content in that program to be a world class competitor. It's even hard to give him a very high IN mark because the interpretation has to be evaluated on the basis of his skating, not so much on the showmanship. The overall execution also left a lot to be desired, not just the shaky jumps, which most of them would / should not any GOE bonuses due to unstable landings but it's his 1st competition and it shows.

Though I understand the whacky situation where the U.S. Nationals judges are being put into today, it's frankly scary with 2 overwhelming favorites, both of them Top 6 in the World, behind a couple of junior skaters with one last person left to skate. I think it's very hard to remain cool and objective in that situation.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
KUDOS TO RYAN!!! :clap: I watched the event on NBC, and the competition was very surprising, to say the least!

Adam's free skate was the most beautiful IMHO :love:, and I'm glad that he managed climp up to the top 5 (although I'm sure he's disappointed that he didn't make the podium).

I'm really sad about Jeremy. :(

DORNBUSH AND MINER - Who Knew? Both skated brilliantly. In fact so many of the American Men skated brilliantly and with different styles and performances. What other country has a vast array of different Senior Men? If there is no hanky panky in Tokyo, I am certan the 3 American Men will be at their best, and finish with the Euro and Japan best.

(I can't say that about the American Ladies, or for that matter, the International Ladies, who are either ballerina pretentious or cutsey wootsie girls. They do not come across as different. Maybe Siraj whom I will keep an eye on. Hope she gets some GPs.)

In this afternoon's skate, Jeremy gave a very intense performance and not a rollicking display of semifore codes with the arms.
Adam came back with a great program.
Armin ddn't bring his program up to his GP one, but he was clean.

In fact, most of the Field skated clean routines. It was a first in skating where the performance was important because everyone has the same restrictive Tech. Not even at International compettions does one find the majority of contestants skating clean.

I think American Men are on a roll and will be highly competitive by Sochi.

skfan

Final Flight
Send both Miner (sp) and Abbott to 4CC. whoever ranks higher there gets to go to worlds. that's what the Russians did with I/K and R/T, right--let Europeans decide? I like Miner and Dornbush, but why should Bradley's win be more controversial than Alissa's US title #1?

If all USFSA cares about is #spots for next year, Abbott not at his best will likely still score better than Dornbush at his best. ETA Oops I mean Miner. ^_^ But that's true for Dornbush as well.

Last edited: