Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    I'm for sending Dornbush & Miner to World's for the experience. It's not like Abbott & Bradley are going to retain our 3 spots for men at World's anyway.
    Well, Abbott and Rippon did get the 3 spots last year. So yes, a case can be made he can do it again if he has already done it. Personally, I think sending Miner over Abbott for 0.16 point, the difference of a single toe, is not a wise decision. Russians would never do that, it's illogical.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    The 4CC team may arguably be the stronger team! Let's wait for the scores from both competitions. It'd be like another (hidden) competition for these men.
    We'll see what happens. Again, I'm not sure what I think of the World team. Never even seen Ross skate before. I guess it was all about who had a better day. Again though, I think the strongest team would be Jeremy, Adam and Ryan.

This two guys Miner and Dormush has not experiences in senior competition. I do not think is a good idea to send them. I hope Jeremy or Adam will be win 4CC.

Custom Title
    4CC should be fun - if we get to see it! Don't know NBC/Uni Sports is carrying it

Custom Title
    I hope Jeremy wins. Or Dai.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Please refer to page 15 of the Technical Panel handbook for Single Skating linked here: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

I quote: "Step out or touch down with free foot with weight transfer after first jump plus another jump"

If a skater steps out on the first jump and immediately after that executes another jump, the element does not remain a jump combination and will be called as follows: Short Program: “First Jump + Combo”; the continuation will be ignored by the Technical Panel.
    Free Skating: “First Jump + Sequence” (or “First Jump + Second Jump + Sequence” if the definition of a sequence is still fulfilled). The same applies to a jump combination consisting of 3 jumps.

So the correct decision in this case is to simply ignore the 2nd jump performed and the Panel made the right call.

Hope this answers your and IP's question.
    Thank you!

(For some reason I can't open this document from the ISU site -- I think my Acrobat Reader is too old.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    Thanks for the research wallylutz - much appreciated
    NP, I alredy know the rules, it only took me like 2 minutes to find the right quotation, so that you guys can read it yourself and not take my words for it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That would be interesting under 6.0 factored placement judging. Dornbush would have won on the tie-breaker, otherwise places 1 through 6 stay the same.

As for who will be the best on another day, we will have to wait and see.
    Dornbush would have little chance for the podium under 6.0. The top three from the TP skate for the podium regardless of TP placements and for someone out of the first three spots in the TP, it takes some convulated twist of fate and calculation to win or medal.

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    This two guys Miner and Dormush has not experiences in senior competition.
    Everybody's first Worlds is their first Worlds. Let's give them a chance. We can always complain afterwards if they mess up.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Russians would never do that, it's illogical.
    I agree with you, but in North America, the federations form the World team based on Nationals results 99.9% of the time. That's just the way it is. I really don't like this system, but after watching a number of Canadian and US championships over the years, I've know that I simply have to accept it.

Medalist
    Imaging the US team in Tokyo makes me smile a little.

Custom Title
    It's about who earned the spot this afternoon.
    Really? I am not sure. Probably the winner should go to worlds, but doesn't it make much more sense to weigh other domestic/international results and the ranking to MAXIMIZE the possibility of US medaling at worlds? I believe that is one of the important responsibilities of the federation too.

Custom Title
    The difference between 3rd and 4th is like 0.16 Seriously, is the difference even significant?
    No, it's pretty much a tie-- and that's with Miner giving the skate of his life, and Abbott making several mistakes. Abbott felt that he had peaked at Nationals last year and didn't have enough left for Olympics/Worlds. God forbid our country's top skaters focus on having enough gas for the important International competitions later in the season rather than peaking at Nationals.

But it seems to me that the USFSA has always been more interested in running its domestic national figure skating program than in finagling for advantage in international competition.

I like that. There are a hundreds of figure skating clubs in the U.S. and tens of thousands of aspiring skaters. Every one of these youngsters can dream of making it to Nationals, having a skate-of-their-life, and representing the stars and stripes at the world championship.
    Well, I will definitely agree with you that USFS seems to believe its Nationals are incredibly important. The skaters are being forced to peak here and try to give the "skate of their lives" here rather than leaving anything in the tank for Worlds/Olympics. Which is more important? Nationals or Worlds? Hmm.

As for your second statement, why can't skaters dream of earning a spot on the World team based on a good Nationals result and solid International results? It just seems more logical to me to take into account more than one competition.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Dornbush would have little chance for the podium under 6.0. The top three from the TP skate for the podium regardless of TP placements and for someone out of the first three spots in the TP, it takes some convulated twist of fate and calculation to win or medal.
    Which is exactly what happened in this event. The first place guy in the SP fell to fourth, the second place guy fell to sixth, and the third place guy fell to ninth.

There's your convoluted twist of fate right there.

Custom Title
    Everybody's first Worlds is their first Worlds. Let's give them a chance. We can always complain afterwards if they mess up.
    Afterwards? You spoilsport!

Which is exactly what happened in this event. The first place guy in the SP fell to fourth, the second place guy fell to sixth, and the third place guy fell to ninth.

There's your convoluted twist of fate right there.
    So there is no difference between 6.0 and COP. Plus ca change.........
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 01-30-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast