Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The U.S are going to regret leaving Abbott and Nagasu at home in favor of people like Flatt and Miner, I gaurantee it.
    I don't think so. The U.S. team may not bring home the bacon, but I do not think the United States will have any regrets for sending them.

I know I won't.
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-30-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Custom Title
    given how freaking nice all of these guys have been to each other, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the top three collectively said: hey, let's give these other great skaters another chance this year. Of course, maybe it didn't play out that way, just saying, they - in the press conferences and posted twitters or social networking comments - have been so respectful to each other.

On another topic - am I the only one that (besides being so appreciative of Jeremy's sportsmanship) thinks more was 'wrong' with Jeremy than nerves; in the short I wondered if he was still uncomfortable in the new boots as his 3 lutz landing was super tight/jumpy- or unsmoothe; some of his footwork lacked the glide he typically has; then he got a level 2 (and I would still like to understand what happened with that); then the long program - not only the fall on the lutz and doulbed plan 3 toe - again, the "lack" of effortless looking edges....anyway: just wondering.

Finally: am I the only one thought Dornbaush (sp?) was ridiculously composed and mature in press conference? That Ryan was too sweet for words for saying worst winning free skate ever. That Miner was beyond adorable (and mature/composed) to say: jeremy is a great skater and he never even thought about worlds. I'm really impressed with these guys. Sad that there were some anticipated missing great skates, but happy by how well many did AND how sportsman/people like these men are. I MIGHT miss Evan and Johnny's skating....but loved these guys tonight a lot!

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    We have been keeping Dornbush and Miner under wraps all year. Heh heh. Chan and Takahashi have no notion of their existence. Heh heh. Just as we planned all along. Heh heh.

hahahah.

as far as i'm concerned, what's the official word before the competition? top 3 goes? then top 3 should go.

as far as a point difference of .16 not being big enough, if this were a race and the difference between the timed runs were... less than a second, less than a tenth of a second, say, in downhill skiing, a swimming race... yeah i know it's not the same, no style points in downhill skiing but the rules are the rules. you didn't beat him by enough so he gets your worlds spot? i would find that difficult to accept if i were miner.

and mathman, that should say chan and kozuka have no idea what the US is bringing. i'm always going to root for daisuke, even if he's competing in the mr. best beard in the universe competition or a reality show, but the writing is on the wall IMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post

While I find Ross Miner dreadfully dull
    Really? He was my favorite of the 'New Seniors'

Custom Title
    Top three from the deepest field of the world is no laughing matter!!! They have done themselves proud. But what makes a laughing matter is the US's national team selection process, so seemingly fair yet so apparently stupid. Heehee, Heh heh, hwahaha...heeheehaahaa...

Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    and mathman, that should say chan and kozuka have no idea what the US is bringing. i'm always going to root for daisuke, even if he's competing in the mr. best beard in the universe competition or a reality show, but the writing is on the wall IMO.
    How about the best hair in the universe?

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/origi...25-6-41-34.jpg

take off the oven mitts
    best hair, best everything. you can multiply your alissa love x 10 and you'll get my love for daiskuke ;p

Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i'm always going to root for daisuke, even if he's competing in the mr. best beard in the universe competition or a reality show, but the writing is on the wall IMO.
    Your opinion has always been obvious.

There are more country fans than there are skating fans.

Custom Title
    Nagasu and Abbott did themselves in. I'm sorry, but as much as I love them both (they are our best all-around skaters, IMO), this is sport. They are both quite similar in the sense that they have mental "demons" that they need to conquer. It's not like their disappointing performances were unprecedented. To give them a spot on the world team when this problem is not just a one-time thing but a regular occurrence would send them the wrong message. If they are destined to become great competitors (not just great skaters), they will take this as a wake-up call.

(Note: I've looked at the protocols for both segments of the competition and I've substituted my own marks for that of the judges. While after having done so it is my opinion that the judges did indeed give Flatt higher marks than she deserved (and I have Nagasu just barely beating out Flatt overall), there is no question that Nagasu once again tensed up and failed to deliver in the FS.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't think so. The U.S. team may not bring home the bacon, but I do not the United States will have any regrets for sending them.

I know I won't.
    MM, I've appreciated your comments this afternoon regarding building domestic programs vs. international dominance.

The fact is there is no guarantees of success at the World Championships. You can build the best team ever basic on past comeptitions and meltdowns could still happen.

Take Miki Ando. Sixth at Japanese nationals but sent to the 2006 Olympics because of her strong competition up to that point. (Top 10 Worlds finish, medalist at her both GP events, 4th place a GPF, reigning Japanese champion; and an undefeated 2003-2004 junior season.) We all know what happened there.

I think Bradley will receive lower PCS for sure. (More in the 5s and 6s. I will agree that his ones at nationals were quite generous...). But I think all three have the potential to finish in the top 10. They won't beat Taka/Oda/Kozu or Chan, but places 5-10 is still up for grabs. I don't think anyone has a lock on those spots. 6th and 7th is the magic number to keep the three spots. We shall see.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Your opinion has always been obvious.

There are more country fans than there are skating fans.

i don't get what you mean here. where does country enter into the discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Men on U.S. World Junior Team are Max Aaron, Jason Brown, Keegan Messing...alternates are Alex Zahradnicek, Steven Evans, Philip Warren

http://twitter.com/#!/USFigureSkatin...77486690172928
    That's unbelieveable. Zahradnicek had two beautiful skates including a 1st place in his SP beating Aaron.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

I think Bradley will receive lower PCS for sure. (More in the 5s and 6s. I will agree that his ones at nationals were quite generous...). But I think all three have the potential to finish in the top 10. They won't beat Taka/Oda/Kozu or Chan, but places 5-10 is still up for grabs. I don't think anyone has a lock on those spots. 6th and 7th is the magic number to keep the three spots. We shall see.
    And this men's event is a perfect reminder that lot's of unexpected things can happen when skates and ice are involved. Miner and Dornbush will again be thought of as underdogs and benefit from of lack of others expectations - who knows what they'll accomplish

Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    And this men's event is a perfect reminder that lot's of unexpected things can happen when skates and ice are involved. Miner and Dornbush will again be thought of as underdogs and benefit from of lack of others expectations - who knows what they'll accomplish
    How true that is! I'm ok with Dornbush, he's been on a seasonal roll winning in all the comps that he was in. Miner, I'm not sure about, but his US Nats was super. Jeremy and Ryan are like roller coasters riding up and down so I wont miss them in Tokyo.

As to the Tokyo boys, I find Dai much too animated this season and subject to errors; Takahito is just too sweet and bland despite his good tech; and Nobu is the more complete skater and will probably podium. I think if Ryan hits, he will also podium; if Dornbush repeats his US Nats he will be very close to Takahito. The 3 places will be safe for the USFS.

Ryan, however will have to face another audience pleaser with Florent. Will a quad toe do it?
    Richard will face Joubert and its the question of a newbie v. old timer.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 01-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Custom Title
    So, I find myself looking very forward to worlds, but also to next year. In that regard, I'm starting to hope that lot's of skaters - men and women - "pull a Miner," by which I mean open with footwork. It was unusual - although I had this feeling that SOMEONE else once did this and I so enjoyed it too. I liked it. Can't wait to see this program again.

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast