Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

Custom Title
    Bluebonnet, there were two massive stepouts, but neither were considered falls.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Ryan did the two worst quads in the history of the sport and came away with 18.54 points.
    Those were hardly the worst Quads in history...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    No, but the 2nd error is a -3 in my book. Step out on the first jump, loss of flow in between jumps, and insecure landing / no flow on the 2nd jump, so except the mandatory deduction it was as bad as a fall.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Just back from the arena.

My favorite skate of the night was Ross Miner's. He was more fluid, more in touch with the music than anyone else, and if you've ever watched Casablanca, he told the whole story beautifully. His jumps were super high too! This is his first nationals. I'm so happy for him. Everything was so, so smooth! He was a little underscored on the PCS side, IMO, and I'd have him over Dornbush in the long. His long spread eagle sequence, culminating in a 3/2/2 was fabulous In no way should he have been left off the world team (and I'm so glad he's going).

My second favorite skate belonged to Jason Brown, who is only 16 and has braces and a pony tail. He reminds me of Robert Wagenhoffer. He had so many unique and interesting ways of doing things. I'm so glad that they're sending him to Jr. Worlds. In The Edge folder there is a thread about What Happened to These Old Jumps? Jason Brown and his choreographer Rohene Ward found them. Jason warms up doing a run of 3 walleys in a row down the rink midline. He opened his skate with a walley 3Lz3T. He's super flexible and does all kind of interesting positions, whatever he's doing.

He does a great combination spin with a hydroblade.

I also really liked Armin's program.

I don't know whether Dornbush is usually fast, but today his footwork was Slo o o w. Everything was very competent, but for me, he didn't hold my interest in the way Jason and Ross did. From his skate I learned that Sherlock Holmes drinks rather than using morphine. Who knew .

Jeremy had a horrible skate. That is why his tech content was 66.91.

Ryan IMO did way too many quads and 3A's warming up. I'm so glad he was able to win, even if his performance wasn't what he would have wanted. Amazing, he landed 2 really good and 1 pretty good 3A between the SP and LP. This is a
    guy who was having trouble with his 2A last year. Congratulations Ryan.
    Doris, thanks so much for this on the ground report! I will definitely revisit Ross Miner and Jason Brown's skates. My feed kept freezing so it took a lot to pay attention and I probably didn't try hard enough for the skaters that weren't on my radar. I barely remember Jason's skate.

Also, interesting to hear about Ryan doing to many quads and 3 a warming up. That's probably true.

At the news conference, Ryan said it was probably the worst looking champion skate in a while but that he was proud of it anyway because he fought and fought. Which he did and he is rightfully proud about having landed his 3axels despite the mistakes on the quads.

Custom Title
    Just back from the arena.

My favorite skate of the night was Ross Miner's. He was more fluid, more in touch with the music than anyone else, and if you've ever watched Casablanca, he told the whole story beautifully. His jumps were super high too! This is his first nationals. I'm so happy for him. Everything was so, so smooth! He was a little underscored on the PCS side, IMO, and I'd have him over Dornbush in the long. His long spread eagle sequence, culminating in a 3/2/2 was fabulous In no way should he have been left off the world team (and I'm so glad he's going).
    Thanks for the 1st hand info and glad to know Ross gathered another fan. And glad to know my hometown boy, Rohene, is busy creating interesting programs for up and comers - maybe one of them will fullfil the promise he had

..if you've ever watched Casablanca, he told the whole story beautifully.
    OT, but I never really got Casablanca. It looked like the plot, characters and script were thrown randomly together at the liast minute, plus I don't see any chemistry between Humphey Bogart and that lady.

Sherlock Holmes, now...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Sorry, but I can't help it - Tonya Harding anyone?
    You got me! There's an exception to every rule!

Custom Title
    Ah, but it was worst stepouts. Honestly I'm sort of back and forth on this one. I want Bradley to win. But that was truly a clown program which should belong to circus. Nothing more.

Custom Title
    Falls or step outs, Bradley was scored by the rules with proper deductions. The controversy, or the gift, is the UR uncalled.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I don't think he's saying change the rules now. He's saying they should change (ie, future).
    He then followed that up with a long rant and wall of stats about how Abbott is better than Miner internationally (i.e. the past) which I didn't quote because I don't want to blind people. But the post was right there and you should've been able to read it and inferred his meaning rather than be disingenuous about it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Falls or step outs, Bradley was scored by the rules with proper deductions. The controversy, or the gift, is the UR uncalled.
    I agree that the 1st Quad not being called as UR or even downgraded is debatable. But to me, my main concern is the overly inflated PCS in his case. Part of the reason is in the U.S., PCS has been evaluated very seriously and rigorously and are usually not inflated. I think very few people would be willing to vouch for the kind of PCS Bradley got today, at least not in the context of a rigorous competitive setting in relation to what other skaters received. It felt like Florent Amodio has just won the U.S. Championship.

Custom Title
    LOL @ Mathman's assertion re: Casablanca, which is even funnier when you remember that the script WAS written on the fly.

And aren't the rules written such that the federation CAN take other events into the account, anyway?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Even the NBC commentator Sandra Bezic has pointed out the UR right after his first quad.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan View Post
    Will everyone PLEASE stop bashing Ryan? This is his moment. You may not like him, but it took him 11 years to get here!
    Thank you!!

Not everyone's bashing Ryan, it's actually only a minority, but the over all negativity is a bit much. The guy's had one of the worst years of his skating life and has come back to win the National Title.

Plus, the skating in the Men is the US looked pretty darned great to me. You would have thought the entire competition had splatted from reading some of the postings today. Good Grief...Ryan's finally gotten his dream of a National Title and you've got to two other guys w/amazing potiential going to Worlds for the first time and will be able to bank that experience for the future.

I get the fuss about the spots, but guess what? This is going to be the 2011 Worlds. Not 2013 when I would understand some of the stuff I've seen since the FS this afternoon.

I'm thrilled about Ryan and more than happy to celebrate. Am also looking forward to seeing what those two "youngin's" put out there in Tokyo. W/nothing to lose, they just go out and possibly surprise a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    He then followed that up with a long rant and wall of stats about how Abbott is better than Miner internationally (i.e. the past) which I didn't quote because I don't want to blind people. But the post was right there and you should've been able to read it and inferred his meaning rather than be disingenuous about it.
    I am on your side in this debate, but I do think that Gold12345 is saying "Abbott is a much better bet for worlds than Miner; we should change the rules so that this sort of thing won't happen again."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet
    But that was truly a clown program which should belong to circus.
    He has to hit all of his jumps to make the program work. When he misses the tech, yeah, it's just silly. But when he hits those quads (like he did at U.S. Nationals last year), it's like, Oh that Ryan (yuck, yuck) -- but look at those quads!

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast