Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

Custom Title
    Since I haven't stated it yet: Congratulations to Ryan Bradley for winning the U.S. Nationals, all his hard work and years of perseverance finally led him to this envious position. Also congratulations to Dornbush and Miner for winning the Silver and Bronze medals respectively, it's amazing how they pull off such upsets that very few people see it coming, I certainly didn't.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    This was simply a CRAZY event and by far the most unpredictable event I've ever seen? Just whoah.

I don't have time to read through this thread but I'll say about Bradley quickly that I respect him a lot for pulling the program together after the opening misses. His 3Axel-3Toe later in the program really brought the performance back to life in a big way. You also have to really respect the fact that he tried 2 Quads and 2 Triple Axels in the first place.
    It was the craziest I can remember. I totally agree with you about Ryan Bradley's skate.

If Richard had won I wonder if we would have had all the quadheads coming out and screaming about how the safer skate won, etc. Well, it's figure skating. No matter what some fans are going to be grumpy.

I would have absolutely never predicted this podium. I'm still shocked that Jeremy, Adam and Brandon all imploded like that. I'm certainly not shocked to see Ryan on the medal stand but of course he was the surprise victor.

I just can't get over the shock. But the consolation is watching Ryan have his moment - if an imperfect one - and and the great skates that Richard, Ross and Armin gave.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    It was the craziest I can remember. I totally agree with you about Ryan Bradley's skate.
    2007 was pretty random as well, and I believe at the time was being considered the craziest. Again, Ryan Bradley was in the thick of what made it so odd.

take off the oven mitts
    thanks for the impressions from doris and others--esp. doris who saw it live. i liked miner a lot the first time round then on rewatch thought dornbush had more oomph--well more speed throughout. miner seemed to have really good musical timing of his jumps, i am a sucker for this skill in particular, but then he had a lot of empty space in which to prep for those jumps to make sure they hit the crescendo of the music because (to my shallow eyes) his choreography wasn't quite as packed with transitions etc as say, abbott's program. OTOH just landing the jumps is hard enough, timing them nicely just makes me go ahhhh.... and then also, he had, to me, miner that is, the right amount of effusiveness--not too cloying, a tiny bit understated but he had a relaxed expression throughout, not like his eyebrows are half way up to his hairline in anticipation of the next jumping disaster. i really like that. i hope that he retains that trait, but he's a young un' and he'll probably get told to emote more for higher PCS at some point LOL

the more established stars were also wonderful (jump errors notwithstanding), i'm just easily drawn to new shiny objects ^_^ thus the comments about miner and dornbush in particular.

bek brought up a good point about I/K and R/T having known in advance about Euro deciding the world's spot. i think you should spell out the rules and stick with them. i am surprised they didn't send abbott--i thought in the letter of the law there was wiggle room--plenty of people last year thought wagner might get the nod over nagasu for the oly.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    The difference between 3rd and 4th is like 0.16 Seriously, is the difference even significant?
    yes of course it is "EVEN and REALLY REALLY significant honey. Let say if you send the mail, the stamp cost 44 cents, you put 43 cents stamp. Will they deliver your mail?

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Those were hardly the worst Quads in history...
    But at least he CAN do it. Why not the others try the two worst Quads in history for their FS please.

Custom Title
    The two men who sit on each side with Keegen at K&C, I assume at least one or both were his coach? They were scary. They made me feel that they are going to change figure skating into snow-boarding, wrestling, jumping-bean contest, or anything but figure skating.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 01-30-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidan View Post
    But at least he CAN do it. Why not the others try the two worst Quads in history for their FS please.
    I think that is the lesson of this championship. Do bad quads, win gold medal.

Custom Title
    OK, yes, the quads in the FS were poor, but there was also the SP, which is why Bradley had the buffer that he did. He did 4T+3T, 3A, 3F. Not too shabby in the jump department.

Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    I don't even have a Mens favorite. I'm fine with them following the rules, I just think the rules should change if they are not "fair" enough to include recent international competitions in selecting international teams. I'm sure Miner will be a fine US representative, but Abbott was just .19 behind him after a rough day and has a much stronger track record. A country should always look to try to do the best they possibly can at Worlds.

NHK Trophy SP: Abbott- 74.62 (2nd) Miner- 64.85 (7th)
    LP: Abbott- 143.57 (3rd) Miner- 121.77 (10th)
    Total: Abbott- 218.19 (3rd) Miner 186.62 (9th)

Cup of Russia- Abbott: SP- 77.61 (2nd) LP-139.60 (4th)
    Total- 217.21 (3rd)

Cup of China- Miner: SP- 67.10 (6th) LP- 130.03 (8th)
    Total- 197.13 (7th)

Abbott outscored Miner by 31.57 points at NHK Trophy. Their second GPs were different and therefore difficult to compare, but Abbott still outscored Miner by 20 points. Abbott was 5th in the World last season and regularly medals on the GP. In fact, he might have even had an outside shot at a World medal this year. To me, it is quite obvious which skater has the potential to do better at Worlds. I understand the USFS rules are not set up to care about such things, but I wish they would care.
    Oh come on. Look how painful you are to go back and do that kind of calculation. Why your eyes are in front, not the back? So you can look forward, live for present and future. So, moving on please duh...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    However, basing world team selection on grand prix results don't guarantee either fairness or good world team selections.
    I agree. Nationals should be the primary deciding factor, of course. But if there is strong evidence from the Grand Prix that one skater has greater potential than another to do well at Worlds, then it would be very wise to consider it (especially when the two skaters end up scoring virtually the same at Nationals like today).

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I seem to recall similar arguments made last year when Evora and Ladwig made the Olympic/World team over Inoe/Baldwin. Everyone talked about how much here Rena and John's international scores were etc. Then that pair who was just going to do so poorly, beat our National champions at the Olympics, and did very well Worlds too. Their PCS took a huge leap. The thing is when your going into international competitions as an unknown skater who hasn't even made your country's world team etc it can be very hard to get the score.
    I was definitely one of those people questioning the selection process during that time. Fortunately, E/L ended up doing the SP of their lives at the Olympics, which seemed to up their confidence level, and they performed/scored better than their usual the rest of the season. Based on that, it seemed like a fine idea for the US to have sent them based on their Nationals result, but hindsight is 20/20. Beforehand, I was skeptical if sending them would give the US its best potential shot to do well.

The point I'm making is that maybe short term sending Abbott is the best idea. But long term its very possible that sending Miner and Dornbush is the better long term investment. If you never give your young skaters the opportunities they earn, eventually they'll quiet/leave the sport.
    I also think it would be frustrating for top skaters to get good result after good result for their country, proving that they are capable of doing well at Worlds, only to be left at home when someone far less accomplished gets lucky enough to beat them by a fraction of a point at one competition. Skaters need to earn their spots at Nationals, but what they do during the Int'l season should matter.

In the years Lysacek won his World and Olympic title, he didn't skate so well at Nationals, but managed to remain top 3... That wouldn't have been possible if lesser skaters had had "lucky skates" and beaten him there. I don't want to take anything away from Miner... He was great today, and is a good young skater. I just think Abbott has done enough recently to justify a World team spot after finishing just .19 behind him with a skate that was far from his best.
    Last edited by gold12345; 01-31-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    The two men who sit on each side with Keegen at K&C, I assume at least one or both were his coach? They were scary. They made me feel that they are going to change figure skating into snow-boarding, wrestling, jumping-bean contest, or anything but figure skating.
    Keegan's coach has long hair (or did last I saw him) I didn't see the K&C so I'm not sure who else was sitting with him (his other coach/choreographer is Rory Flack - not sure what her new married name is). His brother is an acomplished snowboarder, though, and it's one of Keegan's favorite activities (he lives in a ski resort community, actually, in Alaska, at the base of Alyeska).

BTW, some folks on here need to stop with the personal insults and mud slinging of their fellow posters. Be respectful when you disagree. Brush up on teh guidelines if you're confused.

I also think it would be frustrating for top skaters to get good result after good result for their country, proving that they are capable of doing well at Worlds, only to be left at home when someone far less accomplished gets lucky enough to beat them by a fraction of a point at one competition. Skaters need to earn their spots at Nationals, but what they do during the Int'l season should matter.
    In the years Lysacek won his World and Olympic title, he didn't skate so well at Nationals, but managed to remain in the top 3... That wouldn't have been possible if lesser skaters had had "lucky skates" and beaten him there. I don't want to take anything away from Miner... He was great today, and is a good young skater. I just think Abbott has done enough recently to justify a World team spot after finishing just .19 behind him with a skate that was far from his best.
    You cannot compare Evan to Abbott. Abbott isn't really someone who has delivered consistently well for the USFSA. Rather he's a skater who skates well one day and then the next day bombs. Evan is someone the USFSA would probably always pretty much hold up over a Miner. But Abbott has earned such a thing. He's America's Sandhu a brilliant skater, but someone who in the biggest competitions, almost always bombs. (I'd hardly say his sixth place finish at Worlds, was because he skated great in the free)

In contrast Evan has always pretty much delivered for the USFSA.

I'm sorry but can you really look at Jeremy's performance at the last two Worlds, Olympics and at Cup of Russia (he medaled due to a weak field falling 2ce) and say this is someone who performs consistently well for the USFSA) This is someone who can truly back and count on to deliver in the big moments. Yes we all know that Jeremy's an amazing skater and he's capable of delivering a miraculous brilliant skater.

I think that the only skaters who are worth "holding up" are the ones who are repeated World/Olympic medalists. Those skates you can understand the rationale.
    Last edited by bekalc; 01-31-2011 at 12:34 AM.

In contrast Evan has always pretty much delivered for the USFSA.
    true, if you really just count Olympic 2006 free onward... when he wasn't injured and bowwing out.

Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast