Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    People shouldn't be surprised that the US isn't as strong as they have been in the past. We lost both the Olympic champion and also Johnny Weir. Those two were american mens skating for the last several years. It was almost a guarantee at Worlds every year that the two of them would get 3 sports for the next year. We were spoiled. Teams have to rebuild from time to time.
    Anyone know when the last time the U.S. men had fewer than three spots was? I know with the women it was in the Tonya-Nancy era. (That drought didn't last as long as this one thanks to ... who else? The Kween Well, okay really Nicole Bobek who won the bronze in 1995. Michelle was fourth. Ah for those days....)
    Last edited by Layfan; 01-31-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Anyone know when the last time the U.S. men had fewer than three spots was?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    People shouldn't be surprised that the US isn't as strong as they have been in the past. We lost both the Olympic champion and also Johnny Weir. Those two were american mens skating for the last several years. It was almost a guarantee at Worlds every year that the two of them would get 3 sports for the next year.
    And yet both jumped ship before 2010 Worlds and who earned the 3 spots for 2011? Jeremy Abbott and Adam Rippon did! In 2008, it was Johnny and Stephen Carriere and in 2009, it was any combination of Evan and Brandon Mroz or Jeremy Abbott that would have totaled the magic 13 number for 3 spots. Evan and Johnny haven't combined to get the US 3 spots since 2007 Worlds, 4 seasons ago, the last time both competed for the World team at the same time.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-31-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Rinkside
    Last year's worlds was watered down because a couple of top guys decided to skip out. In previous years the men have needed Evan or Johnny to get those 3 spots.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallow View Post
    Last year's worlds was watered down because a couple of top guys decided to skip out. In previous years the men have needed Evan or Johnny to get those 3 spots.
    Not really, the notable absences last year were men who weren't competing at the 2009 Worlds. Neither Lambiel or Plushenko were there. Oda was in the 2010 Worlds but bombed. It is only Evan and Johnny who skipped but since they are Americans, their placements would be inconsequential to how Adam or Jeremey ended up. So the 2010 Worlds turned out to be a fairly comparable year to the previous Worlds minus the notable American skaters who decided to skip the event.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I usually do not debate TES but Bradley's LP raises a lot of questions for me.
    I don't see anything to question about the judges' scores on the elements. He got -2.43 GOE for each of his two quads. Well, possibly it should have been -3, but he did stay on his feet. Other than that he got small positive GOEs (none as much as 1.0) for a pretty good 3A, a pretty good 3A+3T (the 3T was added on the fly, according to Scott Hamilton), a pretty good 3Lz, a pretty good 3Lo, and a pretty good 3S+2T+2t. Nothing great, but scores like +0.43, etc. He also picked up a few more tenths on some of his non-jump elements. The judges didn't love him, but they didn't hammer him either.

Custom Title
    I question whether an ISU technical panel would have found both of Bradley's quads <. Bradley had a step out on his 3A and on the 3T he tacked onto the second 3A, and both of those jumps got +GOE from the US judges; I think ISU judges would definitely give him -GOE on both. Let's face it: Bradley's jumps, spins and footwork aren't of the highest quality.

Internationally, his TES would be a lot lower for the FS skated the way he skated it, and of course his PCS scores would be a lot lower as well.

Many men at Euros landed clean quads in the FS, including Joubert, Verner, Menshov, Van Der Perren, Gachinski and Fernandez, and several of the men who didn't have quads consistently get higher PCS scores than Bradley has ever gotten. Add in Chan, Takahashi, Kozuka and Oda and a top 10 finish for Bradley doesn't seem likely---especially if he doesn't skate a lot better at Worlds than he did at Nationals.

I just hope the US can hold onto 2 spots for 2012 Worlds.
    Last edited by chuckm; 01-31-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Uh, the second quad would have been OK, I think. And Bradley can deliver high quality jumps, so I strongly disagree there.

Agreed on the spins and footwork.

His SS and T will be a lot lower, I agree there. The other parts of the PCS will depend on how "on" he is at worlds.

Oh, and if he delivers two clean programs, I guarantee he will be in the top ten.
    Last edited by MrScroogeMcDuck; 01-31-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrScroogeMcDuck View Post
    Uh, the second quad would have been OK, I think. And Bradley can deliver high quality jumps, so I strongly disagree there.

Agreed on the spins and footwork.

His SS and T will be a lot lower, I agree there. The other parts of the PCS will depend on how "on" he is at worlds.

Oh, and if he delivers two clean programs, I guarantee he will be in the top ten.
    I don't know.. His jumps are big but no flow at all on the landings. I wouldn't call them high quality jumps.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Not really, the notable absences last year were men who weren't competing at the 2009 Worlds. Neither Lambiel or Plushenko were there. Oda was in the 2010 Worlds but bombed. It is only Evan and Johnny who skipped but since they are Americans, their placements would be inconsequential to how Adam or Jeremey ended up. So the 2010 Worlds turned out to be a fairly comparable year to the previous Worlds minus the notable American skaters who decided to skip the event.
    But the point is that Jeremy and Adam might not have have placed as high as they did had Johnny or Evan been there. So it's valid to point out that they were 5th and 6th in a watered down field.

On the other hand - isn't that exactly the same field we will have this year? The same guys will be missing. I suppose the difference is that some skaters have made strides, like Chan and Amodio. The Americans not so much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    There are various problems I see in his goal setting which is an extremely important success factor that most people don't know how to do properly.
    Go on! Could you please elaborate it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Go on! Could you please elaborate it?
    People would likely not be happy with me derailing the thread with long ***** elaboration on this subject!
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 02-01-2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: try not to bypass the censor, please

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    What is this nonsense about peaking at a certain time? If you're well trained, you should do what you're trained to do.
    We've already had this discussion several times in several threads. The goal is to peak at your most important competition. That means you structure your season's training so that you are at your strongest for THAT competition. Abbott in the last 2 years has structured his training to peak at Nationals and then has had less-than-stellar skates at Olympics/Worlds. You can't be at your best for competitions all the time, it's just not possible. Look at the one season Joubert won everything in sight and then he started having physical problems and so on.

Banned
    Abbott was actually better than Weir the final 2 seasons of Weirs career.

Abbott in 08-09 and 09-2010 achieved 2 U.S titles, GP title, Skate Canada title, 5th at Worlds

Weir in 08-09 and 09-2010 achieved 1 U.S bronze, 2 GP final bronzes, 6th at Olympics

Weir is being built up into something he is not in this thread. He was only the 3rd U.S man at best behind Lysacek and Abbott his final 2 seasons. And seeing how Weir peaked in his skating at the 2010 Olympics it probably was all downhill from there had he even continued. If Weir had competed at the 2010 Worlds instead of Rippon (since Bradley was over Rippon at Nationals) quite possibly Weir would have not skated as well as in Vancouver and been lower than 8th and the U.S lost 3 spots. And since Weir had to skate the performances of his life to only come 6th in Vancouver that was an easily possible scenario.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 02-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Custom Title
    Just trying to remember the sequence of events, though, did Abbott really start talking about training to peak at Worlds on his own, or was it only after the Carroll-Lysacek PR campaign where they, after nationals the previous two seasons, started explaining that peaking at Worlds/Olympics rather than Nationals was their plan, to make it seem they were right on schedule and anyone would be silly to try to peak at Nationals. After that, didn't it kind of snowball or morph into Jeremy peaks too early? Or did Jeremy and his team initiate the "I've been peaking too early" talk? Because again I remember it as a PR move on Carroll's part to make it seem like good strategy for Evan and something they planned, as if finishing second at Nationals was actually a GOOD thing. ??

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast