Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Thread: Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

I don't know when we started using the term PEAK. It doesn't mean anything to me. If a skater can be in so many comps including the SPs then each one should be a brand new start. Every comp is important for the skater's ego. They are not dress rehearsals for the Worlds.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    ^ Uh, I've heard skaters talk about peaking ever since I closely started following the sport back in 1992. I specifically remember Michelle Kwan often talking about an athlete having to know the right times to peak, and how an athlete can't be at 100% all of the time. There have to be peaks and valleys . . . makes complete sense to me.

Custom Title
    It only makes sense if you're talking about other sport where that extra push can make or break you, like swimming, downhill skiing, track and field, etc... You can't be 99%, you have to be 100%.

In figure skating, peak and normal level shouldn't be day and night. If you're falling apart, and then blame it on peaking, I find it disingenuous.

I have heard skaters say that it is OK to have several events in a row, as far as their training regimen is concerned.

What is a killer is to have, like one event a month for four months. You don't quite have time to get down off your competitive high, relax a little, then build psychologically and physically for the next competition.

I think the extreme case is boxing. A heavyweight champion might have only one fight a year, and he trains for it for six months. If, in the middle of his training, you ask him if he is in shape yet he will, say, I'm in shape, but I'm not in ring shape.

Scott Hamilton talked about his peaking strategy in the 80s in his book that was first published in 1999... so I'm thinking "peak" is a term that's been a lot longer than I've been alive.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the extreme case is boxing. A heavyweight champion might have only one fight a year, and he trains for it for six months. If, in the middle of his training, you ask him if he is in shape yet he will, say, I'm in shape, but I'm not in ring shape.
    Next time I see Mike Tyson, I'll make sure to slap him around.

Custom Title
    Links to Christopher Caluza and/or Jason Wong's performances??

Anyone? :P

Custom Title
    Some people put themselves at a level where they can win everything they enter but still not be in top shape until worlds. There have been several skaters who have had seasons where they won everything. But I guess they still had to try to get themsleves to peak at worlds. Be in top shape there. Sometimes I think peak means you don't win everything and you like just kind of go from 3rd to second to first but it can be just winning everything and not really giving 100 pecent until worlds or olympics. If you look at Mao and 2009/2010 and her GP was terrible. Her Japanese nationals solid. 4CC mediocre short/good long. Olympics three axels and worlds was her absolute best! But Yu - Na was just win win win then Olympics blowout and total worlds comedown! She peaked at worlds but didn't lose anything before-you can say SA LP but the SP lead was so huge didn't matter.

Custom Title
    What happened? Why was Rippon scored so lowly? I can't believe he only got 5th place.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    What happened? Why was Rippon scored so lowly? I can't believe he only got 5th place.
    Primarily because he blew the SP with big flaws on 2 of his jumping elements. His 3Axel basically deserted him at this competition, missing it 2 out of 3 attempts. He sat down on his Rippon Lutz in the SP. Plus, he was just too tense throughout. It's a shame!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I have heard skaters say that it is OK to have several events in a row, as far as their training regimen is concerned.

What is a killer is to have, like one event a month for four months. You don't quite have time to get down off your competitive high, relax a little, then build psychologically and physically for the next competition.
    From what I can gather, the notion of "peaking" has to do with pacing one's training... and it makes total sense. However, I think how the pacing is done depends on the individual athlete.

YuNa is actually an athlete who likes to do the "killer thing" above. She seems to like having her events spaced out relatively evenly by at least a month (and slightly more for bigger events)...I think it serves her because she has the discipline to train throughout, and perhaps some extra pressure not to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Trying to maintain that level for an entire season tends to lead to burn out and overuse injuries.
    I'll bet.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Primarily because he blew the SP with big flaws on 2 of his jumping elements. His 3Axel basically deserted him at this competition, missing it 2 out of 3 attempts. He sat down on his Rippon Lutz in the SP. Plus, he was just too tense throughout. It's a shame!
    Still, I wish Adam's PCS had been higher. His SS mark was only a smidge below Ryan'.

Custom Title
    Just watched Jason Brown's LP on YouTube. Man that kid is going places. Great speed and flow on the ice and he never telegraphed his jumps and he was so smooth. I think he's the future of american men's skating if he continues to improve. The sky is the limit for him.
    Last edited by Jammers; 02-02-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Newbie to this site, long time skating fan.

I am on a desperate search for Adams short from Nationals. If anyone has it can they PM me or email me. Thank you so much!

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44