2011 World Championships
Chock/Zuerlein
Davis/White
Shibutani/Shibutani

2011 Four Continents Championships
Chock/Zuerlein
Davis/White
Shibutani/Shibutani

The link above also has the info for Junior Worlds selection and alternates for all.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I find it a little strange that all senior disciplines except the senior men are sending the top finishers to 4CC.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
These are listed under the appropriate championships.

It's very odd that it appears none of the men's medallists were asked whether they wanted to go to 4CC's. USFSA is sending the team they thought would win Nationals to 4CC's and sent those who actually won to Worlds.

Definitely different.

emma

Record Breaker
i hope I shouldn't feel guilty, but I was glad to see the men's team "split up" between worlds and 4ccs. I'm kind of wondering, though, why the same wasn't done for women's and perhaps the others as well....does anyone have insights?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It's very odd that it appears none of the men's medallists were asked whether they wanted to go to 4CC's. USFSA is sending the team they thought would win Nationals to 4CC's and sent those who actually won to Worlds.

Definitely different.
How do you know they weren't asked?

demarinis5

Record Breaker
^^ I don't think they were asked. JMO

4CC is not like it was years ago a 2nd tier competition. It has become a pre-matchup before Worlds, federations tend to send their best skaters the US is no different.

skatinginbc

Medalist
^^ 4CC is not like it was years ago a 2nd tier competition. It has become a pre-matchup before Worlds, federations tend to send their best skaters the US is no different.

Abbott and Rippon are 2nd tier skaters in US, befitting only 4CC. Dornbush and Miner are the 1st tier accomplished group that do not need 4CC for practice.

ivy

On the Ice
Yuka and Jason should bring Allissa and Jeremy to Japan after 4CC in Taiwan. They could hang out with Papa Sato, Kozu and Mao until Worlds (even if Jeremy's not skating at Worlds)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
^^ I don't think they were asked. JMO

4CC is not like it was years ago a 2nd tier competition. It has become a pre-matchup before Worlds, federations tend to send their best skaters the US is no different.

The established rule is that the top [# of spots available at 4cc] skaters at nationals are asked. If the men weren't asked at this nationals, that's grossly unfair. I would like some confirmation before I condemn the USFS.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
So is it your opinion that the other US skaters from the other discplines going to 4CC are 2nd tier skaters. Last I checked they are all podium finishers.

Serious Business is quite right about precedent. Winner take all has always been the practice of the USFSA. The top finishers at Nationals are offered Worlds, Four Continents, Skate America (in so far as possible), and they get their picture on the USFSA web site banner.

ivy

On the Ice
It may be precedent, but it's not the "rule" is it? I know this was discussed before, I seem to remember that the official process closer to 1st place automatic, rest up to the committee with deference given to top finishers at Nat'ls.

It may be precedent, but it's not the "rule" is it? I know this was discussed before, I seem to remember that the official process closer to 1st place automatic, rest up to the committee with deference given to top finishers at Nat'ls.

That's correct. So far the Committee has never taken an active role in pushing one skater ahead of another.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
That's correct. So far the Committee has never taken an active role in pushing one skater ahead of another.

And that's my problem with them, they should. Otherwise why have a Committee? While the non-decision-making that occurs in World Teams selection is the most obvious example, generally (in the 20 years I've been a member), USFS management and governance has always struck me as a collectively weak bunch, incapable of stepping up to the plate and making hard decisions even when their own bylaws allow for this. Especially when there may be some controversy involved and they might have to take some hits for their decisions.

As a manager that sometimes has to make judgment calls based on what's best for the situation as a whole--regardless of needs of individuals and with full knowledge that the decision isn't going to be universally acceptable--I don't have a lot of respect for the way USFS does the team selections. IMO, there are definitely some mistakes in the composition of these teams, more so this year than in other recent years.

Alsace

On the Ice
So, the world competitors are deciding to go to 4C because the two competitions are in the same hemisphere this time? Normally, it really does look like the B team goes to 4C.

enlight78

Medalist
I just curious will there be any controversy or action verses team selection guidelines if adam and jeremy go 1,2 at 4CC and the world skaters all finish out of the the top ten, which is likely. Does the committee take any heat for selecting a bad team. Has the committee ever taken any blame or resposibilty for selected a bad team for worlds(olympics). What is the actual job of the committee. Are they suppose retain three spots for champion events, send the best team to worlds, or just pick a team or just go down the placement list.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And that's my problem with them, they should. Otherwise why have a Committee? While the non-decision-making that occurs in World Teams selection is the most obvious example, generally (in the 20 years I've been a member), USFS management and governance has always struck me as a collectively weak bunch, incapable of stepping up to the plate and making hard decisions even when their own bylaws allow for this. Especially when there may be some controversy involved and they might have to take some hits for their decisions.

As a manager that sometimes has to make judgment calls based on what's best for the situation as a whole--regardless of needs of individuals and with full knowledge that the decision isn't going to be universally acceptable--I don't have a lot of respect for the way USFS does the team selections. IMO, there are definitely some mistakes in the composition of these teams, more so this year than in other recent years.

Is the US federation afraid of being sued if they select a skater outside of the "winner takes all" rule? The thought just occurred to me. After all, the US is a very litigious society, much more so than other figure-skate-dominant countries, e.g., Japan, Russia.

wallylutz

Medalist
Is the US federation afraid of being sued if they select a skater outside of the "winner takes all" rule? The thought just occurred to me. After all, the US is a very litigious society, much more so than other figure-skate-dominant countries, e.g., Japan, Russia.

Absolutely not, there are definitey many precedents where skaters who didn't compete or failed to medal in the U.S. Championship were sent to Worlds instead, e.g. Belbin/Agosto, Kimmie Meissner

Edit to add: But these past cases were usually pretty overwhelming and perhaps they felt neither case this year reached that level in the past to invoke such precedents.

Last edited: