The Acting Career | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Acting Career

I think Tara Lipinski was in Ice Princess, was she not?

Gee, I'd forgotten about Vera Hruba Ralston! That's right; they tried to set up a rival to Sonja Henie. But I guess there was room only for one skating star.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think Tara Lipinski was in Ice Princess, was she not?
I think she was??? Commentator or something. Least we forget MK, Scottie and Nancey ??? I recall Blades of glory getting some skaters involved.

Wasn't Brian B in a few too? Uncle Dick.

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
As far as know, Alexei Tikhonov, Alexei Yagudin and Roman Kostomarov acted in a russian soap opera called "My hot ice" (not sure if the translation is correct). The show was very sucessful.
Tanja Szewczenko also turned to acting and her tv roles were very popular.
I also remember that Mikkeline Kierkgaard worked as Clare Danes double in a film called "It's all about love".
Katarina Witt also had a few film roles.

Last edited:
Vera Hruba Ralston, Czech figureskater, was imported to the U.S. in the hope of making her a new Sonja Henie. She married the head of Republic studio and was a leading lady in several movies during the 50's, in a couple of them co-starring with John Wayne.

Jamie Gertz, born 1965, has been in tons of movies and TV-productions - from Spielberg to Ally McBeal.
Orion, you remember Vera Hruba. Eventually while in America she dropped the Hruba and was just named Vera Ralston. She did not have the glamour that Sonia had, imo.

Many hollywood stars took skating lessons as children.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Steven Cousins and Kristi Yamaguchi played judges in Ice Princess... Brian Boitano and Michelle Kwan were commentators.

I can't remember the title of the off color "comedy" (it was dark) that Jason Alexander (George from Seinfeld) did... Scott Hamilton was in it... it was a mockumentary on the sport of figure skating... not family friendly at all.

oh and Nicole Bobek was in the remake of All The Kings Men (I think that was the one she was in?)

Orion

Rinkside
Orion, you remember Vera Hruba. Eventually while in America she dropped the Hruba and was just named Vera Ralston. She did not have the glamour that Sonia had, imo.

Many hollywood stars took skating lessons as children.

Yes, Joesitz, I remember! I have a huge collection of vintage movie magazines and so there is a lot of interesting stuff to be found there! You are right in that they dropped the 'Hruba' part of her name in an effort to 'Americanize' her. She didn't become a success though and I agree she didn't have what Sonia had.

Oksana Baiul acted in an episode of a series called 'Strong Medicine' + took part in a couple of specials.