Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: agnes zawadzki reminds me of Tonya Harding

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    If Agnes reminds me of anyone, it's Joannie Rochette. Their body build is somewhat similar although Agnes is taller. Both are athletic skaters with big jumps who are also capable of artistry (unlike many who are best known for their jumps) even if they will never be ice ballerinas.

I'm pretty new around here (I usually just read the threads) but I decided to post today. I think Agnes has fabulous technique and I agree that she needs improvement as an artist, but I think she has an X-factor, that special something you cannot teach. I think she has such spunk and when she is on her ice she seems perfectly at home, which is refreshing when other skaters look scared to death out there. She has a fire in her eyes when she skates, a hunger, and I think that will take her very far. What I also see in Agnes is a command over her body. She always seems completely in control of her movements. Christina has nice long lines, but after going through a growth spurt, she hasn't quite figured out how to control her limbs. I think these two ladies will really push each other to be better as they are relatively the same age/skill level.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    I really enjoy Agnes' skating, what is this family situation that everyone keeps alluding too, and I do not see any resembelance between her and Tonya Harding. Tonya carried a dark cloud and did not have a good reputation within US figure skating, even before the incident. Anges' skating is fresh, clean, and her jumps are very powerful , she is a medal hopeful for Sochi for Team USA, its about time we put an American lady back on the podium.

Regards Agnes & her family, the full details can be found over at IN, but unfortunately this board won't allow links to IN for some unknown reason? Let's see if I can post the links, then you can just copy & paste them into your browser. Here goes:

LINKS REMOVED BY GS DUE TO LEGALITY!

In the first link it talks about her hopes for her first Senior Nationals (landing her jumps) and also her family situation ~ her mother & grandparents live in a small 2-bedroom apartment ~ her grandparents share the master bedroom, Agnes the smaller room, and her mother sleeps on the couch in the living room. Her older brother still lives in Chicago. And her mother works as a nanny in Colorado Springs, so her retired grandparents are the ones that drive her to & from school. Kinda reminds me of Harry Potter. On a serious note, I wonder how they have managed to pay for it all these years? I mean she started skating at age 5. It does bear a similar ilk to Tonya Harding's humble beginnings. IIRC Tonya started skating at a similar age in the mall, and from there she was noticed immediately for her athletic ability. Therefore, she received help from patrons over the years, and her coaches took less pay, etc.

Oops, and the second link is a very long article from last year about her win at US Jr. Nationals (she dominated both phases of the competition), her surprise silver at Jr. Worlds after finishing 8th in the SP, and how training with good friends Rachael Flatt & Alexe Gilles has pushed her. Also, it states she is working on perfecting her 3T/3T & 3L/3T combos. & footwook, etc. Btw, her lone silver medal at 2010 Jr. Worlds was the only medal won by an American; also it helped earn 3 spots for the American girls this year.

GOOOOOOOOOOO AGNES!!!!!!

figure skating is a 'priviledge sport'. Most skaters have no financial worries. For the lower and middle class, the kids may begin by imitating other skaters at the public sessions of a local rink. A skating teacher may catch one or two and invite them to a Group Session of Skating. The cost is usually manageable but the kids have to give up at least one movie a week.

Custom Title
    Yes, skating is definitely a "priviledged sport" that costs in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, so on the contraire it is not manageable for a single parent waitressing or being a nanny. In fact it is extremely rare for a blue-collar person to put their child in skating imho. The only one that I can think of that made it was Tonya Harding due to her exceptional rare talent being noticed by patrons/sponsors/et al. Also, Rudi Galindo managed it somehow.

But the others had *parents* that were well-off or had two jobs, etc. Examples:

Tara Lipinski (father, oil executive & lawyer)
    Sarah Hughes (father, lawyer; mother accountant)
    Kristi Yamaguchi (father, dentist)
    Ryan Bradley (father, doctor)
    Rachael Flatt (parents, nuclear scientists?)
    Michelle Kwan (parents worked several jobs; grandparents owned a Chinese restaurant)
    Nancy Kerrigan (father worked several jobs; mother blind)

Also, I'm wondering how Nicole Bobek made it, her mother being a single parent.

Sorry for going off-topic, but it fascinates me how somebody can get into this very expensive sport on a nanny's salary? There have to be other resources imho...

Then there is Todd Eldredge who's town raised money for him to skate...

Custom Title
    Good point, in one of the articles I mentioned previously on IN, there was a "comment/post" from Agnes's Fan Club President (lol, didn't even know she had one) that mentioned an address to send donations to (sorry I can't find the article on IN now).

Oops, I did find this nice article about Agnes from our own GS, which appeared during the summer, so no wonder I didn't see it:

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/071810.shtml

The reality I think is that plenty of skaters' families get in debt (those that are not wealthy, rather blue-collar), taking out second mortgages, et al, hoping that it will pay off in the long run. No wonder so many skaters go into shows, Disney on Ice, et al, in order to try to pay back some of those hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on their skating. We only hear the success stories, but I bet their are plenty of the opposite as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Michelle Kwan (parents worked several jobs; grandparents owned a Chinese restaurant)
    I wonder how you found this out? The book I just read said that her dad worked at Pacific Bell driving over 200 miles every day and Mother at "Chinese restaurant" (Golden Pheasant), but gave no mention of their parents owning it. However this book was published in 1995.

^ Here is what Michelle says about i

http://books.google.com/books?id=A0B...20kwan&f=false

I think Mr. Danny Kwan continued to work for the telephone company and Michelle's grandparents mostly ran the restaraunt. The restaraunt is still there (in Torrence, California), but the Kwans have not owned it for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ Here is what Michelle says about i

http://books.google.com/books?id=A0B...20kwan&f=false

I think Mr. Danny Kwan continued to work for the telephone company and Michelle's grandparents mostly ran the restaraunt. The restaraunt is still there (in Torrence, California), but the Kwans have not owned it for some time now.
    Thanks, maybe I should read some newer books? LOL!

Does anyone know how often Agnes taking lessons from Tom Z.? Who is her choreographer?
    Agnes has this "bad girl" look, just like Tonya.. Is it just me?
    Last edited by ks777; 02-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar

In the eyes of a child...

...(in my eyes as a child) there was nothing "bad girl" about Tonya Harding on the ice. I liked Nancy Kerrigan just fine, but I favoured Tonya because when she was on, there was this unfettered delight to her skating. Ignorance was bliss, I guess, never knowing about the off-ice antics and drama. I did hear about the whack, though.

I like Agnes. She does seem different. She does not remind me of anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I like Agnes. She does seem different. She does not remind me of anyone.
    Good observation! I get so tired of looking at lady skaters who do their tricks (sometimes with music) but ALL looking the same. I guess the sport for ladies is based on skating clean only. There are no Cohen, Kwan, Bielman's to make the competition interesting.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    I'm pretty new around here (I usually just read the threads) but I decided to post today. I think Agnes has fabulous technique and I agree that she needs improvement as an artist, but I think she has an X-factor, that special something you cannot teach. I think she has such spunk and when she is on her ice she seems perfectly at home, which is refreshing when other skaters look scared to death out there. She has a fire in her eyes when she skates, a hunger, and I think that will take her very far. What I also see in Agnes is a command over her body. She always seems completely in control of her movements. Christina has nice long lines, but after going through a growth spurt, she hasn't quite figured out how to control her limbs. I think these two ladies will really push each other to be better as they are relatively the same age/skill level.
    Yes. That's exactly what I see in her. Thanks for expressing it so well! (And nice to have you posting here!)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    But the others had *parents* that were well-off or had two jobs, etc. Examples:

Tara Lipinski (father, oil executive & lawyer)
    Sarah Hughes (father, lawyer; mother accountant)
    Kristi Yamaguchi (father, dentist)
    Ryan Bradley (father, doctor)
    Rachael Flatt (parents, nuclear scientists?)
    Nancy Kerrigan (father worked several jobs; mother blind)

Also, I'm wondering how Nicole Bobek made it, her mother being a single parent.

Sorry for going off-topic, but it fascinates me how somebody can get into this very expensive sport on a nanny's salary? There have to be other resources imho...
    That's the first I ever heard about Michelle's family being well-off! Michelle received funding from various sources. (I'm trying to remember the person who recently died who had provided funding to her) Her parents income was not enough, even assuming they had two jobs.
    Agnes may also be receiving private funding for her coaching, etc., especially since she has had success at the National and International level.

ETA: It was George Steinbrenner. He gave her $10,000 when she was just 13 years old.
    Last edited by jenaj; 02-08-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast