Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: agnes zawadzki reminds me of Tonya Harding

Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    Are you actually serious right now? I hope and pray that you did not see RISE because what you are suggesting right now is blasphemous to the memory of the 1961 team. The whole reason the memorial fund was established was so that young skaters could receive the financial support they need to achieve their dreams in a very expensive sport. If, as you say, talented kids who don't have the money should not be able to skate, we would have no Tanith Belbin, Evan Lysacek, Michelle Kwan, Peggy Fleming, Scott Hamilton, or Johnny Weir, as they were all supported by the memorial fund.
    I have not looked into the financial aspects of the memorial fund, but I know from my experiences with Development, that funds collected first go to salaries of development organizers, rental of space, food, etc., before money is divided up to those in need. The question is what percentage of money goes to the recipients?

Very often ShowBiz personalities will sign up to make an appearance at a Fund Raiser but on the condition that they get first class transportation, hotel bookings and meals.

I think Weiss' Foundation, the percentages is close to 100 per cent.

Custom Title
    Another interesting post, Joesitz, and right on the money when it comes to most fund raisers, which is why one needs to read the small print.

Regards the Memorial Fund, I found the following: http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...=125#howtogive

I still can't find an exact breakdown of percentages when it comes to the Memorial Fund. Btw, the above link also provides other ways to donate.

Regards the Michael Weiss Foundation, this is what I found: http://www.michaelweiss.org/mission.htm
    http://www.michaelweiss.org/donation.htm
    http://www.michaelweiss.org/2010winners.htm

And in regards to the young lady named in this thread, Agnes Zawadzki, here is a wonderful link that states clearly & concisely how one's donation will be used, 100% goes to the skater named in your donation: http://figureskatersonline.com/agnes...ki/sponsor.htm

Alas, I finally found the post from Agnes's Fan Club President over on IN wherein she too talks about how to donate in Agnes's name (need to copy & paste in a new browser): http://web.IN.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110121&content_id=16475174&vkey= ice_news

***Note: the IN part of the link needs to be replaced with the real name in order to go through***

Personally, I have to be honest, I prefer donating by going to the website of the skater I wish to donate to, then using PayPal. Yebin Mok's old website used to have this option.

Here's to the American Constitution, the less the government is involved the better, power of the people, liberty!

p.s. and lol I can't help but mention one of my all-time favorite figure skater ever, Evgeni Plushenko, whom will be opening his own Children's Figure Skating School in St. Petersburg, Russia, this coming March!!!!! http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...p=47144#p47144

I feel Zhenya will become one of the most influential, if not thee most influential, figure skater in the history of the sport (man or woman). He doesn't just talk, he does, as evidenced both on & off the ice. He said he would come back, and he did, splendidly at that! Then he said he would like to open a figure skating school one day, and now he is. Actions speak louder than words.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Here's to the American Constitution, the less the government is involved the better, power of the people, liberty!
    Well said!

Although... I have to admit that the threat to liberty posed by the possibility that the government might decide to divert a few odd billions of the federal budget to figure skating is not at the tip top of the list of things I fear the government might do.

This is way off topic, but I think the role of the Governments should protect The People and not Big Buisness. The Haves and the Have Mores, have plenty while the people are used to protect their wealth and fight their wars.

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    This is way off topic, but I think the role of the Governments should protect The People and not Big Buisness. The Haves and the Have Mores, have plenty while the people are used to protect their wealth and fight their wars.
    Way, way off topic, but ITA!

Custom Title
    I'm totally for hard work & sacrifice, like Agnes and so many other skaters' and their families have had to do over the decades in order to pay for their skating. If you want to to be a Have, then work for it like everybody else has done. Wealth isn't a right, it's a priviledge that comes with hard work. This doesn't include the Have Mores, whom control the world with their billions/trillions of dollars, that's another kettle of fish all together.

I'm talking about the kind of wealth that surround skaters like Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski, whom are the subject of envy from certain quarters because they come from wealthy families. Well how do you think they got that wealth in the first place, they worked for it, it doesn't grow on trees, it comes from hard work.

That's my last word on this subject.

Back to the phenomenal, talented, wonderful multi-faceted:

AGNES ZAWADZKI!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOO AGNES!!!!!

IMO monetary wealth just does not come from hard work. There are quite a few other factors involved besides hard work. Many, many people work their fingers to the bone and don't become wealthy in their lifetime. If it only took hard work we would see a lot less poverty and people living from paycheck to paycheck in this country. Sorry to go off topic.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 02-25-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: sp

Custom Title
    Nadine, this is way off topic but let me be a nerdy grammar police as you appear to prefer the use of 'whom' in your sentences.

"Who" is used when what you're describing (an antecedent) is the subject of the verb following, while "whom" the object.

Example 1)
    I love Evgeni Plushenko who won a Silver medal at the Olympics.

*Evgeni won a meal. In this case 'Evgeni' is the subject and 'won' is the verb.
    'Whom' cannot be used in this case.

Example 2)
    It's Evgeni Plushenko whom I adore.

*I adore Evgeni. Unlike example 1, 'Evgeni' is the object of the verb 'adore'. 'Who' can be also used, or no relative pronoun needs to be used.

^ You know what's really annoying? Microsoft grammarcheck always recommends "that" in the the place of who, whom, which, etc., in constructions like that.

It's Evgeny that I adore.

To me, this is worse than "whom." But I think grammarcheck anticipates that nobody knows anything about grammar, so they make it as easy as possible.

I think that in spoken and informal English, "whom" has pretty much disappeared altogether. (Who should I give it to? versus To whom should I give it.)

Very weird thread here and how strange to compare Agnes or any current skater to a slug like Tonya.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Very weird thread here and how strange to compare Agnes or any current skater to a slug like Tonya.
    Bienvenido to Golden Skate, Hernando. Some threads take in about several different topics. You'll get used to it, so hang in there.

Are you really posting from Stara Boleslav?

I think the comparison with Tonya Harding concerns Harding's big-jump skating style, plus the fact that her family was not affluent as is the case with most figure skaters.

The rest of it -- well, we always hope that our favorite athletes manage to stay out of jail.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Are you really posting from Stara Boleslav?
    That's Hernando's hideaway!

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    That's Hernando's hideaway!
    ^

Rinkside
    Tonya was not a slug. She was actually an excellent skater with great jumps and spins that didn't come from money. I always felt her punishment for simply not reporting what her hubby did behind her back was way too severe because she truly was a much better skater than Nancy Kerrigan ( I never did get the beauty queen treatment the media gave Nancy- to me she looked like a cross between a horse (the shape of her face, the gigantic teeth that made it look like she could eat oats though a fence), and a man in drag).
    Tonya had speed and power , could do the spiral without having to hold her leg (which is harder to do than the kerrigan spiral by the way), had better jumps and spins, etc.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast