60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 46.67%
  • No

32 53.33%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can a clean Agnes win JW?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Have Adelina, Christina or Agnes done a clean FS yet this year? It'd be great if one of them managed it at junior worlds.

If Agnes does, sure she can win, why not? She has yet to stay on her feet in the long this year. Let's hope JW is her competition.

Maybe Agnes doesn't have as good skating skills as Adelina but to me, Agnes has a more mature ice presence than Adeline or Christina, or really, any of the other juniors. She has pizazz that I think Adelina and Christina are still working on.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Agnes has a good shot at it. Why not? Her faltering days are now in the past.
    Ummm, she faltered yet again in the LP at Nationals. Not as badly as on the GP, but it still happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Have Adelina, Christina or Agnes done a clean FS yet this year? It'd be great if one of them managed it at junior worlds.
    Yes, Adelina was clean at the JGP Austria and at Russian Nationals. Christina was clean at the JGP Austria, too, but didn't do a 3+3 in the LP. Agnes hasn't in major competitions, but she was clean at the Broadmoor Open early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Both girls are planning 7 triples LP. Adelina flutzes. Agnes' jumps look much better. I think Agnes can win on TES. The question is, can she win on PCS as well.
    Yes but Agnes lips, so they cancel each other out there. Adelina has better skating skills than Agnes. AND harder jump content. Agnes jumps are really out of this world, but its not like Sotnikova's jumps are bad.

And while Agnes has a more mature presence. Adelina may be juniorish but she's just a gorgeous and more polished skater in terms of lines, extension etc.
    Last edited by bekalc; 02-05-2011 at 02:07 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Yes, Adelina was clean at the JGP Austria and at Russian Nationals. Christina was clean at the JGP Austria, too, but didn't do a 3+3 in the LP. Agnes hasn't in major competitions, but she was clean at the Broadmoor Open early in the season.
    Thanks! Christina had a terrific 3-3 at nationals. If only she could put her JGP Austria + Nationals LP at nationals

Junior worlds should be fun. All three of these ladies could compete well at the senior worlds.

Banned
    Agnes needs alot of work on her skating skills and speed. It would be one thing if she was just a bit worse but she is alot worse than the best skaters in those areas. If she can improve those she will be hard to beat.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Agnes needs alot of work on her skating skills and speed. It would be one thing if she was just a bit worse but she is alot worse than the best skaters in those areas. If she can improve those she will be hard to beat.
    Which is why I really wish she'd leave her coaching team...all of Tom Z's skaters have these weaknesses. I'd love to see Yuka Sato work with her on these. Free Agnes!

If that bar graph at the top of this thread means anything. It shows Agnes against all the other skaters, and all the other skaters are winning this poll. To me it shows that Agnes may well be beating each skater on the blue bar.

Custom Title
    Agnes could get high GOE's on her jumps if she is on. She has the best jumps in the field as far as height and ice coverage. She also spins well. So I do think she has a fighting chance if she skates to her ability.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsk8fan View Post
    Agnes could get high GOE's on her jumps if she is on. She has the best jumps in the field as far as height and ice coverage. She also spins well. So I do think she has a fighting chance if she skates to her ability.
    There's more to skating than just jumps though. Agnes may have bigger jumps but its not like Sotnikova's jumps are puny and little. (Same goes with Tukt)

What Adelina has over Agnes is in the area of skating skills. Sotnikova's coach in the article said it well when she said that sometimes you have skaters who can jump/spin but can't skate. Or skaters who can skate but not jump. Sotnikova has both. And Agnes skating skills really do need work.

Adelina's basics really are amazing. She's a baby ballerina, who can jump and also has speed, ice coverage.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Yes but Agnes lips, so they cancel each other out there. Adelina has better skating skills than Agnes. AND harder jump content. Agnes jumps are really out of this world, but its not like Sotnikova's jumps are bad.
    How many lip does Agnes do in both SP and LP? 1
    How many flutzes does Adelina do in both programs? 3.

How do they cancel each other out?

Custom Title
    Adelina's flutzes don't always get called.

Agnes can win, but I don't think she will.

I think Adelina will win, Liza will come in 2nd, and Christina, Agnes, or Risa will come in 3rd. Unless Liza bombs the SP, in which case she could be off the podium.

Custom Title
    Agnes did not have an edge call at Nationals. I also am no expert on skating skill admittingly, but she sure was praised at Nationals by the commentators that she had the whole package. I know that may not mean much, but since speed is difficult to calculate by watching television, I guess that is what I have to go on. I think the biggest challenge for Agnes is skating a clean long program. I haven't seen one this season. One thing I can expect is the unexpected. Who expected Agnes to be the silver medalist at Junior Worlds last year?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsk8fan View Post
    Agnes did not have an edge call at Nationals. I also am no expert on skating skill admittingly, but she sure was praised at Nationals by the commentators that she had the whole package.
    Scott and Sandra are given to hyperbole. Especially Scott. I think it would be fairer to say that she could have the whole package, but I doubt that she will achieve that at Broadmoor under Zakrajsek's training methods. It seems like his skaters reach a certain point and then stop progressing. They also share a lot of the same weaknesses: lack of speed, okay-at-best spins, not much in the way of interpretation.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    And they share the same strengths-the ability to correctly execute their jumps. You can look at it either way.

However, Jeremy Abbott, until recently a Tom Z student, had good skating skills.
    Ryan Bradley, like him or not, has a great performance flair.

Dornbush, a Tom Z product, can spin quite well.

So making an overall case about Tom Z's students is moot: Tom Z can teach most students that will work at it to jump. Their other skills are all over the lot.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast