Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?!

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    I just watched both programs. I loved them. I like the ponytail. He's different. I like different. Maybe that just makes me weird. I remember seeing the videos of him last year at Nats. I loved him then too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Only 3? I started at 11:30, and had to peel myself away at 2:30. :P
    Well it might have been a lil more but that was yesterday. I've watched it today also.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Enough with the praise, it's time to nit pick.

Why does he do that 2flip~2axel sequence in the FS? And it was intended to be a 2flip, since he does two 3flips elsewhere in the FS. Even if he gets across the board +2 on the GOE (which he didn't at US nationals), it's still a lower score than the base mark of a 2axel/2toe combo. Is he incapable of doing combos after an axel jump? If he can, he really should change that to a 2axel/2toe combo.
    It's stylistically much better than a 2Axel-2Toe. Thus, if the judges actually knew what they were doing, he would in fact be receiving more points for that 2Flip+2Axel sequence because it improves the choreography of the program.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It's stylistically much better than a 2Axel-2Toe. Thus, if the judges actually knew what they were doing, he would in fact be receiving more points for that 2Flip+2Axel sequence because it improves the choreography of the program.
    Haha, if judges knew what they were doing. You funny... looking.

Speaking of funny looking, how is a 2flip~2axel sequence stylistically better than a 2a/2t? I have no preference for one or the other, and the timing of a 2a/2t can be fitted just as well into the musical accents in that part of the music. And if he can tano up that flip I'm sure he could tano up that 2t, if that's the stylistic superiority you mean. I don't see how one jumping pass is more stylish than the other. Unless you have some personal preference for 2flips or jump sequences ending with 2axels, which is fine and all but the judges can hardly be expected to share your taste in this one regard.

Speaking of funny looking, how is a 2flip~2axel sequence stylistically better than a 2a/2t?
    Lots of people do 2A-2T, how many do 2F-2A? That alone makes it more stylish in my book.

Plus, the timing of the 2F and 2A are perfect for the music, individually.

It's choreographically superior because it comes out of nowhere. After landing his 3Loop he quickly moves across the width of the rink and goes into a series of turns. We think he's just going to keep skating around the corner of the rink, that kind of pattern and movement do not indicate an upcoming jump at all, but instead he's suddenly doing a tano 2Flip and then adding to the surprise of that moment by following it up with a bigger jump - the 2Axel. It's a great moment; the proportion and timing of the sequence is very pleasing.

A 2Axel-2Toe would require more of a setup and probably look small rather than unique, even if there was a tano arm used on the 2Toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It's choreographically superior because it comes out of nowhere. After landing his 3Loop he quickly moves across the width of the rink and goes into a series of turns. We think he's just going to keep skating around the corner of the rink, that kind of pattern and movement do not indicate an upcoming jump at all, but instead he's suddenly doing a tano 2Flip and then adding to the surprise of that moment by following it up with a bigger jump - the 2Axel. It's a great moment; the proportion and timing of the sequence is very pleasing.

A 2Axel-2Toe would require more of a setup and probably look small rather than unique, even if there was a tano arm used on the 2Toe.
    That's what I meant, Blades said it better.

Of course a double jump requires less setup and is more of a surprise, but that applies to any jump in the program. Doubling any triple to fit in more transitions, however, would not help with the scores.

In this case, this is a jumping plan that forces Jason to use a jump sequence even though he doesn't have to. Jump sequences get a steep discount under the COP, skaters should avoid them unless they're really necessary to fit in the maximum amount of allowed jumps that a skater is capable of. Jason has plenty of surprise jumps (like the 3sal at the end directly out of footwork, or the 3lutz/3toe out of a reverse direction loop at the beginning, come to think of it, would a 2a/2t require that much more setup from Jason?) in the program already, and plenty of nice choreographic moments in the program. A not so nice surprise is if someone beats him by .62 points, which is what he loses with the jump sequence.

Of course this is a minor minor nitpick. And really, the real problem is how the COP penalizes jump sequences. I'm sure Jason can win just fine with the sequence, but if he loses by those points I'mma say I told you so all the same.
    Last edited by Serious Business; 02-02-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Custom Title
    If Rohene Ward choreographed that long program then I hope he starts to get more business.

come to think of it, would a 2a/2t require that much more setup from Jason?
    I think it would. If you look at both his SP and FS, 2A is the jump that stands out as needing the longest setup time from him, everything else comes straight out of and into footwork/transitions. Oh, actually, the 3R takes him some time to set up as well, and that's one jump he doesn't get very high GOE on, although the one he did here was already way better than the ones he did at Sectionals or JGP's.

Of course a double jump requires less setup and is more of a surprise, but that applies to any jump in the program. Doubling any triple to fit in more transitions, however, would not help with the scores.
    That's because the difference in value between a Triple and a Double jump is massive. The difference in base value between a 2Flip+2Axel sequence and 2Axel-2Toe combination is very small. The former should receive higher GOE for Jason and also increase his PCS, meaning that in the end it is worth more points.

Custom Title
    Wow, oh my god,Holly mackerel, I love him. Although his jumping components are not so difficult as top skaters, I am so impressed with his basic skating and spins.
    Those are quicker than Dai's!! I felt that I saw US's future.

There are always skaters mistreated by medias.
    Here's the skater that I love, yet not covered by media that much. I can watch his back cross forever!! His basic skating is better or equal to Chan's IMO.
    His 3a is definitely better than Chan's. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT262ojSooI

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I just watched. Can't thank you enough for posting. So happy to discover this skater.

The way everything flowed into each other was glorious.

I don't think I've seen a skater skate with such unfettered joy in a very long time. It was almost giddy except in didn't take away from the passionate mood of the program.

Even the way he got onto the ice and left it: He skated on like he couldn't wait to start, not a nervous look from him. And then when he was finished he just looked like "Well, that was really fun! Thanks everybody!"

No wonder the audience was drawn in. And I agree that he made everything look effortless, like it's just something he does for fun during this time off

Oh lawdy, fine, Jason can do no wrong. His jumping passes are all perfectly planned because the judges are that understanding and the only time he can do a 2a without a long setup is after a 2flip.

It really was the best choreography of all the Men. His spins were by far the best of the field and underscored too...he only received Level 3 calls but they all should have been Level 4. His first and last spin in fact had enough features to possibly qualify for Level 5, if such a thing existed. The Sit-change-Sit has a back entrance + difficult variation + 8 revolutions + difficult variation + 8 revolutions. The second Change-of-Foot Combination spin had a difficult flying entrance + difficult variation + difficult variation + 8 revolutions + difficult variation.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast