Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Of course a double jump requires less setup and is more of a surprise, but that applies to any jump in the program. Doubling any triple to fit in more transitions, however, would not help with the scores.

That's because the difference in value between a Triple and a Double jump is massive. The difference in base value between a 2Flip+2Axel sequence and 2Axel-2Toe combination is very small. The former should receive higher GOE for Jason and also increase his PCS, meaning that in the end it is worth more points.

genki

On the Ice
Wow, oh my god,Holly mackerel, I love him. Although his jumping components are not so difficult as top skaters, I am so impressed with his basic skating and spins.
Those are quicker than Dai's!! I felt that I saw US's future.

There are always skaters mistreated by medias.
Here's the skater that I love, yet not covered by media that much. I can watch his back cross forever!! His basic skating is better or equal to Chan's IMO.
His 3a is definitely better than Chan's. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT262ojSooI

Layfan

Record Breaker
I just watched. Can't thank you enough for posting. So happy to discover this skater.

The way everything flowed into each other was glorious.

I don't think I've seen a skater skate with such unfettered joy in a very long time. It was almost giddy except in didn't take away from the passionate mood of the program.

Even the way he got onto the ice and left it: He skated on like he couldn't wait to start, not a nervous look from him. And then when he was finished he just looked like "Well, that was really fun! Thanks everybody!"

No wonder the audience was drawn in. And I agree that he made everything look effortless, like it's just something he does for fun during this time off :thumbsup:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Oh lawdy, fine, Jason can do no wrong. His jumping passes are all perfectly planned because the judges are that understanding and the only time he can do a 2a without a long setup is after a 2flip.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
It really was the best choreography of all the Men. His spins were by far the best of the field and underscored too...he only received Level 3 calls but they all should have been Level 4. His first and last spin in fact had enough features to possibly qualify for Level 5, if such a thing existed. The Sit-change-Sit has a back entrance + difficult variation + 8 revolutions + difficult variation + 8 revolutions. The second Change-of-Foot Combination spin had a difficult flying entrance + difficult variation + difficult variation + 8 revolutions + difficult variation.

feraina

Record Breaker
It really was the best choreography of all the Men. His spins were by far the best of the field and underscored too...he only received Level 3 calls but they all should have been Level 4. His first and last spin in fact had enough features to possibly qualify for Level 5, if such a thing existed. The Sit-change-Sit has a back entrance + difficult variation + 8 revolutions + difficult variation + 8 revolutions. The second Change-of-Foot Combination spin had a difficult flying entrance + difficult variation + difficult variation + 8 revolutions + difficult variation.

Yeah, I was wondering about those spins myself. I thought he went extra safe on them by having so many features, and thought maybe I hadn't understood all the subtleties of the rules -- like you can't count 8 revolutions as a feature twice in a spin or something...

antmanb

Record Breaker
That was just amazing. And I really loved the 3F+2T+2lp i think it not only went really well with the music but all three jumps were great quality and he had flow out of the final jump.

There were so many higlights in the jumps - the 2Flip-2Axel sequence. BUt for some inexplicable reason my absolute favourite was him putting the solo triple flip across the rink instead of down! It was a surprise as I was expecting the loop or salchow.

I'm very pleased Rohene Ward is still involved in skating and helping this young man realise his potential.

Ant

sunny0760

On the Ice
My expectation rises6 because I will see him live next month at JW!
Hope he will appear confidently without any problems.

His free leg during 3Lz takeoff is a bit bothering me, though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I've added all the other Jason Brown video links to the first post, for those who want to engage in a Brown fan fest

(May I recommend the Dallas Galleria "Let it Snow" performance, as well as both US Nationals SP & LP?)

prettykeys

Medalist
I'm just going to double-post so this post can be easily deleted--thanks for putting up Jason Brown's other performances; however, some of the links are "off" with regards to the title, e.g. the US Nats LP link is the same as the SP; also, the Christmas Galleria one isn't right.

prettykeys

Medalist
hehe, so...after watching Jason Brown's US Nats SP, I was oddly reminded of Jeffrey Buttle. Maybe it was the bright shirt with puffy sleeves and sleek black legs. :biggrin:

I agree with LayFan's impression - he has an easy and fun-loving character that really does make watching him enjoyable.

Of his performances that I saw, his US Nats LP is definitely my favourite. I particularly liked the scissor-kick move he does going into his 3Salchow (right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5d4knHCWuY&t=4m59s ). Unexpected and beautiful and fitting in perfectly with the music (unlike my non-artistic description :cool:).

Uh oh, I think he may be the first skater I have true hopes for development into the future--which means I may have to brace for the sadness others have felt when their favourites didn't quite make it... *crossing fingers*

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I've added all the other Jason Brown video links to the first post, for those who want to engage in a Brown fan fest

(May I recommend the Dallas Galleria "Let it Snow" performance, as well as both US Nationals SP & LP?)

Thanks Doris, off to watch. What a performance Jason gave at Nationals. He was terrific.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason blew me away. He skated so effortlessly and with great speed and flow. Notice how he never telegraphed his jumps in advance. Those jumps will get even bigger as he gets older. He might not even peak till the Olympics of 2018. Plus his coach is beautiful. Not that her being a hottie has anything to do with Jason's skating. :laugh:

Last edited:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Uh oh, I think he may be the first skater I have true hopes for development into the future--which means I may have to brace for the sadness others have felt when their favourites didn't quite make it... *crossing fingers*

I felt the same way.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Someone beat me to this thread! lol. I saw this performance a few days ago, and I have been watching his LP performance non-stop. As said before, the kid has it ALL. At only 16, I see tremendous potential in him and his future stand as the top US man. Give him a couple more seasons and a few more jaw-dropping performances, and he will be one of the top men in the world. The music of Turandot has always held a a soft spot in my heart. Who can forget the performances of Shen/Zhao at 2003 Worlds and Shizuka Arakawa at 2004 Worlds??

I am not a huge fan of his SP. His choreography is good but the music is absolutely irritating. But without a doubt, Jason brown's LP brings out the best in him and is the perfect program to showcase his skills as a skater both technically and artistically. I will definitely keep an eye out on Brown next season. As far as I am concerned, if he continues to skate like he did at Nationals, it wont be too hard to gain the respect from the international judges.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Ponytails are never cool. Please chop that abomination off.

Honestly, I took immediate disliking of him because of this ponytail. See how important the first impression is?:biggrin: Then I watched his skating. Understood why people are so crazy about him. He does have beautiful jumps, and deep edges. But that ponytail is still bothering me. No, I don't like him very much.;)

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
He really is a Lysacek clone....but still lovely. His final combo spin though, totally channeling Evan :)

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
How is he like Evan? Because one of his spin positions is the same? He has better edges, far more musicality, more flexibility, a better sense of how to use his arms, and a different style (less bombastic). I will say that Evan was better at throwing 3Toe in combination and had a 3Axel at Jason's age.

EDIT - Actually, nevermind, Evan in 2003 was a year older than Jason is this year. So not a completely fair comparison even.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I second what Blades said. How dare you, silverlake22! In older and better times, Jason would have proper cause to challenge you to a duel and by all rights he should win.