Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
What makes you all think Jason won't try a triple axle at Jr. Worlds? His coach said he's been training one but they didn't want to risk his first Sr. competition & being noticed if he missed/fell on it. If he tries & is successful at Jr's then where does he stand?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Hanyu is currently a lot more advanced than Brown (Hanyu is competing in seniors internationally, has the 3axel and landed at least one successful quad in competition). Also, Hanyu already has a massive and vocal fan club in Japan, owing to A) the popularity of skating there B) his ability to win (winners are popular ya) C) his princely demeanor. Hanyu is very much an up and coming skating icon-to-be in Japan with the potential for eclipsing even Daisuke Takahashi in popularity.

Brown's level of success, technical content, popularity, notoriety and support are in a much smaller and different ballpark. That is just as well in some regards. I don't know if Jason Brown would enjoy being mobbed by fans and stalked by paps. Plus I feel more indie and hipster knowing that I've a fan of a lesser known skater (although I am a fan of Hanyu, too).

With Hanyu making a very credible round on the seniors this season, and Daisuke's likely retirement the next, I think Hanyu's more immediate competition in the upcoming season will be all the top men in the world. It's entirely possible Brown will be one of them if he skates senior internationally next season, but that's a lot to ask of a newbie.

I can see why Hanyu and Brown are compared though. They're the same age, both have excellent basics and artistry. They even have similar body types and flexibility. Where they differ for me in a remarkable way is that Hanyu has a very strong individual flair that he maintains even in different choreography, reminiscent of Johnny Weir. Whereas Brown seems more of a chameleon and able to submerge himself in different styles.

feraina

Record Breaker
Where they differ for me in a remarkable way is that Hanyu has a very strong individual flair that he maintains even in different choreography, reminiscent of Johnny Weir. Whereas Brown seems more of a chameleon and able to submerge himself in different styles.

Agreed. To me, this ability to be a chameleon is a remarkable quality in one so young, as it is usually a trait of a seasoned artist, who can morph him/herself into many different roles convincingly (Michelle Kwan was brilliant at this). I think Brown is a more mature artist/performer than Hanyu, especially with Hanyu's programs this year -- he seems a little disconnected from the audience, the music, the performance. But this may well be related to his attempting such difficult technical content and being preoccupied with and exhausted by it.

In fact, Jason's coach said in interviews that one reason they decided to exclude the 3A so far is so that Jason can focus on the performance/PCS aspect.

skatesindreams

Rinkside
I'm going to enjoy watching Jason's progress during the next few years.
It seems that I'll have plenty of company!

I've also watched his programs many times since last Sunday - and will continue doing so, with great pleasure.

ibauer

Rinkside
Agreed. To me, this ability to be a chameleon is a remarkable quality in one so young, as it is usually a trait of a seasoned artist, who can morph him/herself into many different roles convincingly (Michelle Kwan was brilliant at this). I think Brown is a more mature artist/performer than Hanyu, especially with Hanyu's programs this year -- he seems a little disconnected from the audience, the music, the performance. But this may well be related to his attempting such difficult technical content and being preoccupied with and exhausted by it.

In fact, Jason's coach said in interviews that one reason they decided to exclude the 3A so far is so that Jason can focus on the performance/PCS aspect.

Ryan Bradley also has that chameleon quality - that's one thing I've always liked about him - although in terms of skills/elements, Jason is a much better all-around skater.

stevlin

On the Ice
Thank you Feraina for the clip which said his music was a Puccini violin concerto. When I saw the comp, I thought he was skating to Turandot.

Jason Brown is one of the two skaters of today who does not oversell his tricks. They appear to be just steps in a non-stop routine. It's that non-stop program (with no Falls) that makes him a Dancer on Ice. Hope he gets the almighty Quad for next season. One other skater has that non-stop program was in either Novice or Juniors. His last name is Walker whom I will also be following next season with anticipation.

Hi, just thought I would let you know that "Turandot" was composed by Puccini.

feraina

Record Breaker
Hi, just thought I would let you know that "Turandot" was composed by Puccini.

Well, the second part of Jason's FS is definitely Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot. I'm a little confused about the first half, is it from another part of Turandot, or an altogether different piece by Puccini?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Well, the second part of Jason's FS is definitely Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot. I'm a little confused about the first half, is it from another part of Turandot, or an altogether different piece by Puccini?

I think it's a different part of Turandot.

feraina

Record Breaker
Interview with Kori Ade, Jason's coach, after his SP at National's:
http://www.manleywoman.com/
The interview starts around 34:20 .

She says Jason's idol is Ryan Bradley, because he's such a good a showman and can please the audience. Yay, Jason! :rock: (Of course the boy can look up to whoever he wants to, and an Olympic champion is not to be sneered at, but I'm so relieved that it's Ryan rather than Evan. :biggrin:)

She also says really interesting things about how she's coping with coaching an elite-level skater when she hadn't had the experience of doing so before.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Fascinating interview with Kori Ade, a woman who started out on the sports medicine side of things (she has degree in Skeletal Biology), but eventually got into coaching. She didn't come from a competitive background, and Jason is her first high level skater. From the interview, I gather that she spent a lot of time and money to educate herself on how to coach the more advanced moves. She has dealt with a lot of doubt and skepticism over the years (apparently others have come up to her repeatedly telling her to pass Jason to a more proven coach). From how sound Jason's technique is, I think Ade has done a great job of learning how to coach.

sidwich

Rinkside
Fascinating interview with Kori Ade, a woman who started out on the sports medicine side of things (she has degree in Skeletal Biology), but eventually got into coaching. She didn't come from a competitive background, and Jason is her first high level skater. From the interview, I gather that she spent a lot of time and money to educate herself on how to coach the more advanced moves. She has dealt with a lot of doubt and skepticism over the years (apparently others have come up to her repeatedly telling her to pass Jason to a more proven coach). From how sound Jason's technique is, I think Ade has done a great job of learning how to coach.

Shades of Brian Boitano and Linda Leaver? I know both Boitano and Leaver talked about how often there was talk about how Boitano should move onto a more experienced, elite-level coach like Carlo Fassi at the time. But to both of their credit, they made it work.

mskater93

Record Breaker
What makes you all think Jason won't try a triple axle at Jr. Worlds? His coach said he's been training one but they didn't want to risk his first Sr. competition & being noticed if he missed/fell on it. If he tries & is successful at Jr's then where does he stand?

Because if the triple Axel was consistent, he would have done it at Nationals. He'd be noticed if he fell on it there too.

Nadine

Record Breaker
You know I actually liked this kid when I saw him skate, liked, not loved or sobbed or broke down crying thinking he was the Messiah, et al. But I have to be honest when I heard him speak in the K&C it was a huge turn off, his voice that is.

And he still reminds me of Sasha Cohen to a "T", but like Sasha when she first debuted, the hyperbull is a huge turn off as well.

Nevertheless, I hope the kid does well, he seems decent enough. Good luck at Jr. Worlds, Jason!

ivy

On the Ice
Seems like having a coach with a back ground in sports medicine/bio mechanics could serve a skater very well. Not only helping to build strong technique but to keep them healthy for a long time. Let's hope!

feraina

Record Breaker
Seems like having a coach with a back ground in sports medicine/bio mechanics could serve a skater very well. Not only helping to build strong technique but to keep them healthy for a long time. Let's hope!

I think having a coach who is *smart* is very important, which Kori Ade appears to be. Intelligence and dedication can make up for a lot of other things, plus every skater, every career trajectory, is unique in its own way, so having the flexibility to deal with each situation as it arises is a great asset.

treeloving

Medalist
I don't know many of them but Keegan Messing has solid 3A, Denis definitely has one... Yan Han has no 3A yet... if Brown and Yan Han develop further, they may be rivals in the near future.

I think I read somewhere that Han Yan already has 3A and land it at Chinese national. If he develop more difficult jumping content and is consistancy on them, he will be the future of figure skate.

Sorry to mention him in Jason Brown tread:biggrin: