Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Boy, I don't see him as being anything like Evan..I can see some similarity to Jeff Buttle in the way he moves , but he's definitely his own person. ( I like his ponytail , including when it was a bit shorter and worn a bit higher during JGP) :biggrin:

wallylutz

Medalist
The boy certainly displayed some interesting skating skills but he is clearly not mature yet at 16. It doesn't quite feel like men's skating just yet, possibly due to lack of the Triple Axel. I think he skated very well though don't quite understand why so many people seem to cry and get very emotional about this. Maybe I just don't cry very often.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for the heads up! I fixed the links for 2011 Nationals and for the Galleria program. Sylvia also found a link for Jason's international debut at Val Gardena Trophy last April. It's his Nutcracker LP. I added it to the list in the first post. Jason won at Val Gardena, BTW.

Actually, his skating reminds me of Rohene Ward more than of anyone else-no surprise; Rohene has done some choreo for Jason.

BTW, if you have an icenetwork subscription, there is an interview by Peter Carruthers with Jason following the men's free skate there in the US Nationals video archive for January 30

And Phil Hersh just wrote a piece on Jason:
Phil Hersh
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...ter-brown-hopes-to-follow-lysaceks-path-.html

shine

Record Breaker
Man, when was the last time we saw a 15 year old display this combination of excitement, style, musicality and skating skills? Of course he still has a lot of maturing to do but wow, so so so much potential. CAN'T wait to see more of him. The LP just sends chills down my spine.
He really is a Lysacek clone....but still lovely. His final combo spin though, totally channeling Evan :)
That's an insult to him and is so not true. :unsure:

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
"Originally Posted by silverlake22
He really is a Lysacek clone....but still lovely. His final combo spin though, totally channeling Evan"

That's an insult to him and is so not true. :unsure:

:biggrin: Actually, my immediate reaction was: that is really flattering Evan! :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In my opinion Brown is nobody´s clone, but he still has a long road to go. Hopefully all the gushing he may hear after the Nationals will not prevent him from continuing as a hard worker. Great article by Hersh!!!

lavender

Record Breaker
Maybe he meant he wanted to be as successful as Evan. Take a path similar to his but no he's not similar to Evan at all imo either as a skater. This guy is a natural talent but I'm sure he's a hard worker like Evan. If anything he's closer to Johnny as a skater.

In my opinion Brown is nobody´s clone, but he still has a long road to go. Hopefully all the gushing he may hear after the Nationals will not prevent him from continuing as a hard worker. Great article by Hersh!!!
that's exactly my sentiment. So few skaters can make the LP with all its restrictions look like a solo dance number. He is definitely one of them. Most skaters advertise their jumps with a distinct preparation. Nothing wrong with that, but the music is not necessary and not used. Brown makes use of the music as well.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I've followed fs for 40 years or so & am sitting here trying to think which of our former male skaters he reminds me of. IMO, he is reminiscent of Christopher Bowman on the ice. I saw Chris for the 1st time when he was 18 & competing at Skate America. Both have created the same excitement & interest, both appear\ed to be natural talents. Hopefully the similarity is only on ice & not off ice. Good luck, Jason!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:biggrin: Actually, my immediate reaction was: that is really flattering Evan! :laugh:

His idol is Evan, he WANTS to be like Evan. My reaction when seeing him was, "wow, he does a great job channeling evan!". You can't deny Evan is a great spinner, and Jason's spins are also great, and are reminiscent of Evan. I don't get how it is an insult to say that he's like the Olympic Champion...

shine

Record Breaker
I don't think he's like Johnny Weir either. For one I know I like his style a lot more. He has more transitions and projects more than Weir. I think his skating is more masculine than Weir, for lack of better word. His spins reminds of Lambiel's. Just a really, really exciting talent all in all!

gmyers

Record Breaker
LOL Hersh!!! If he's like Lysacek does that mean he will not do a quad? Not having a 3A is so questionable. Unless there goal is to campiagn against the 3A like Lysacek and Carroll did the quad? LOL that is a joke!! He is so in the beggining stages of his career that I never thought this thread to get to 71 responses. Usually if someone is young and obviously has so much potetntial that is seen in jumps! No? Olympic champion in 2014 or 2018?? Can he do a commonly performed difficult jump first? He was very good with his minor league content in his free skate. No doubt about that. He deserved 9th. Can do well in junior worlds but as far as senior goes. Don't even see anything in jumps that wold make him a competitive senior.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There's no question that he has to get at least his 3A very soon-many a young career has fallen afoul of that rock. And I hope he is able to get a 4T. We shall see. I have my fingers crossed for him.

But he has already passed a level that many skaters never pass: he is entertaining to watch and connects with the whole audience, up to the nosebleed seats. If he never gets a 3A, he can definitely look for a spot at Ice Theatre of NY

As to whether it is an insult to find him like Lysacek; Of course not, it is just inaccurate. Cats and dogs are both great pets, but I wouldn't say a cat is like a dog; that is just inaccurate, not an insult to either the canine or feline species.

The one thing Lysacek & Brown have in common appears to be a dedication to hard work, and goals.

Lysacek is a very tall guy with really big jumps who dominates the rink by sheer size. He has fierce footwork that is kind of identical no matter what the program is. He is the Olympic Champion.

Brown is a rather short guy who entertains with unique moves, good speed, and constant motion and flexibility and good choreography, coupled with good musicality. He does not yet have the huge jumps. He probably will not medal at Junior Worlds this year, due to the lack of a 3A.

I'd rather watch Brown than Lysacek--but that's my problem.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I've been watching Jason since he was in Prejuv. There's a certain something about him that draws your attention, especially if you are actually in the arena with him. He's magnetic on the ice and not just during his program. Six minute warm ups, it hard to draw your eyes away from him, even with five other guys out there.

Several things I can tell you about Jason is that he works very hard, but always seems to enjoy that work and makes sure to take time out when on the ice to "play".
Got his 3Lo, 3F, and 3Lz last summer right before he took his Junior FS test. They haven't really forced the issue on the 3A yet like they did the 2A--> 3Lz but you can bet it's coming.

sunny0760

On the Ice
That Hersh took notice Brown and expect him to have a career like Evan is a favor/honor/blessing for Brown, not Evan. It looks like Brown respects Evan unlike some of skating fans. If his spins remind other fan of Evan's, where is the problem?

He probably will not medal at Junior Worlds this year, due to the lack of a 3A.

Well, let's see...

His (main) competitors at JW 2011 :
Confirmed : Keegan Messing, Max Aaron from US, Andrei Rogozine from Canada, Kento Nakamura, Keiji Tanaka, Yuichi Kihara from Japan, Lee Dongwon from Korea
Not confirmed : Artur Dmitriev, Zhan Bush, Gordei Gorshkov from Russia, Denis Ten from Kazakhstan, Yan Han(I really want to see him!:love:) from China

I don't know many of them but Keegan Messing has solid 3A, Denis definitely has one... Yan Han has no 3A yet... if Brown and Yan Han develop further, they may be rivals in the near future.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It's really interesting to see the older performances of Jason. He's picked up and perfected so many moves in between them! Even comparing his FS from earlier this season to now. He went from doing an ina bauer into his 3lutz/3toe combo to using a reverse wally entrance instead (and the reverse wally used to be his entrance for the 2axel). And looking at even older footage, he used to do a Russian split. Then he learned the split falling leaf. He's improved his spins, his flexibility, his steps. And of course all the jumps and combos he's picked up over the years.

I am very optimistic that he has the talent and the dedication to get that 3axel and quad.

mskater93

Record Breaker
That Hersh took notice Brown and expect him to have a career like Evan is a favor/honor/blessing for Brown, not Evan. It looks like Brown respects Evan unlike some of skating fans. If his spins remind other fan of Evan's, where is the problem?

Well, let's see...

His (main) competitors at JW 2011 :
Confirmed : Keegan Messing, Max Aaron from US, Andrei Rogozine from Canada, Kento Nakamura, Keiji Tanaka, Yuichi Kihara from Japan, Lee Dongwon from Korea
Not confirmed : Artur Dmitriev, Zhan Bush, Gordei Gorshkov from Russia, Denis Ten from Kazakhstan, Yan Han(I really want to see him!:love:) from China

I don't know many of them but Keegan Messing has solid 3A, Denis definitely has one... Yan Han has no 3A yet... if Brown and Yan Han develop further, they may be rivals in the near future.

Rogozine has an Axel

Brown's biggest competition in the future, as I see it, will be Yuzuru Hanyu. Both know how to skate on the ice.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Thank you mskater93 for pointing about Rogozine!

I forgot about Yuzuru Hanyu!
Interesting thing is both Brown and Hanyu were born in December, 1994. (Han Yan in March, 1996)

Joesitz, I know what they scored at eac Nats is not so much relevant but this is what I found.

Japanese Nats Dec. 2010, Hanyu's score : SP 78.94(huge 3A, Triple/Triple) + LP 141.12(3A with -3GOE, no Triple/Triple) = 220.06 (4th)

US Nats Jan. 2011, Brown's score : SP 64.32 + LP 144.44 = 208.76 (9th)

Hanyu has 'e' marks on his Flips both in SP and LP at Nats. He sometimes tries quads and tends to show lack of stamina in LP. He was the current Junior World Champion so will not come to JW.

Brown's LP at Nats was excellent in every meaning and if he repeats that level of performance at JW, he may medal. He will need to overvome the lack of 3A by clean skate and sheer talent. If other skaters stumble, it will not be completely impossible to win.

Last edited: