Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown was AMAZING! What was NBC thinking?!

Custom Title
    That Hersh took notice Brown and expect him to have a career like Evan is a favor/honor/blessing for Brown, not Evan. It looks like Brown respects Evan unlike some of skating fans. If his spins remind other fan of Evan's, where is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    He probably will not medal at Junior Worlds this year, due to the lack of a 3A.
    Well, let's see...

His (main) competitors at JW 2011 :
    Confirmed : Keegan Messing, Max Aaron from US, Andrei Rogozine from Canada, Kento Nakamura, Keiji Tanaka, Yuichi Kihara from Japan, Lee Dongwon from Korea
    Not confirmed : Artur Dmitriev, Zhan Bush, Gordei Gorshkov from Russia, Denis Ten from Kazakhstan, Yan Han(I really want to see him!) from China

I don't know many of them but Keegan Messing has solid 3A, Denis definitely has one... Yan Han has no 3A yet... if Brown and Yan Han develop further, they may be rivals in the near future.
    Last edited by sunny0760; 02-04-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    It's really interesting to see the older performances of Jason. He's picked up and perfected so many moves in between them! Even comparing his FS from earlier this season to now. He went from doing an ina bauer into his 3lutz/3toe combo to using a reverse wally entrance instead (and the reverse wally used to be his entrance for the 2axel). And looking at even older footage, he used to do a Russian split. Then he learned the split falling leaf. He's improved his spins, his flexibility, his steps. And of course all the jumps and combos he's picked up over the years.

I am very optimistic that he has the talent and the dedication to get that 3axel and quad.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    That Hersh took notice Brown and expect him to have a career like Evan is a favor/honor/blessing for Brown, not Evan. It looks like Brown respects Evan unlike some of skating fans. If his spins remind other fan of Evan's, where is the problem?

Well, let's see...

His (main) competitors at JW 2011 :
    Confirmed : Keegan Messing, Max Aaron from US, Andrei Rogozine from Canada, Kento Nakamura, Keiji Tanaka, Yuichi Kihara from Japan, Lee Dongwon from Korea
    Not confirmed : Artur Dmitriev, Zhan Bush, Gordei Gorshkov from Russia, Denis Ten from Kazakhstan, Yan Han(I really want to see him!) from China

I don't know many of them but Keegan Messing has solid 3A, Denis definitely has one... Yan Han has no 3A yet... if Brown and Yan Han develop further, they may be rivals in the near future.
    Rogozine has an Axel

Brown's biggest competition in the future, as I see it, will be Yuzuru Hanyu. Both know how to skate on the ice.

Custom Title
    Thank you mskater93 for pointing about Rogozine!

I forgot about Yuzuru Hanyu!
    Interesting thing is both Brown and Hanyu were born in December, 1994. (Han Yan in March, 1996)

Joesitz, I know what they scored at eac Nats is not so much relevant but this is what I found.

Japanese Nats Dec. 2010, Hanyu's score : SP 78.94(huge 3A, Triple/Triple) + LP 141.12(3A with -3GOE, no Triple/Triple) = 220.06 (4th)

US Nats Jan. 2011, Brown's score : SP 64.32 + LP 144.44 = 208.76 (9th)

Hanyu has 'e' marks on his Flips both in SP and LP at Nats. He sometimes tries quads and tends to show lack of stamina in LP. He was the current Junior World Champion so will not come to JW.

Brown's LP at Nats was excellent in every meaning and if he repeats that level of performance at JW, he may medal. He will need to overvome the lack of 3A by clean skate and sheer talent. If other skaters stumble, it will not be completely impossible to win.
    Last edited by sunny0760; 02-06-2011 at 07:44 AM.

What makes you all think Jason won't try a triple axle at Jr. Worlds? His coach said he's been training one but they didn't want to risk his first Sr. competition & being noticed if he missed/fell on it. If he tries & is successful at Jr's then where does he stand?

Hanyu is currently a lot more advanced than Brown (Hanyu is competing in seniors internationally, has the 3axel and landed at least one successful quad in competition). Also, Hanyu already has a massive and vocal fan club in Japan, owing to A) the popularity of skating there B) his ability to win (winners are popular ya) C) his princely demeanor. Hanyu is very much an up and coming skating icon-to-be in Japan with the potential for eclipsing even Daisuke Takahashi in popularity.

Brown's level of success, technical content, popularity, notoriety and support are in a much smaller and different ballpark. That is just as well in some regards. I don't know if Jason Brown would enjoy being mobbed by fans and stalked by paps. Plus I feel more indie and hipster knowing that I've a fan of a lesser known skater (although I am a fan of Hanyu, too).

With Hanyu making a very credible round on the seniors this season, and Daisuke's likely retirement the next, I think Hanyu's more immediate competition in the upcoming season will be all the top men in the world. It's entirely possible Brown will be one of them if he skates senior internationally next season, but that's a lot to ask of a newbie.

I can see why Hanyu and Brown are compared though. They're the same age, both have excellent basics and artistry. They even have similar body types and flexibility. Where they differ for me in a remarkable way is that Hanyu has a very strong individual flair that he maintains even in different choreography, reminiscent of Johnny Weir. Whereas Brown seems more of a chameleon and able to submerge himself in different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Where they differ for me in a remarkable way is that Hanyu has a very strong individual flair that he maintains even in different choreography, reminiscent of Johnny Weir. Whereas Brown seems more of a chameleon and able to submerge himself in different styles.
    Agreed. To me, this ability to be a chameleon is a remarkable quality in one so young, as it is usually a trait of a seasoned artist, who can morph him/herself into many different roles convincingly (Michelle Kwan was brilliant at this). I think Brown is a more mature artist/performer than Hanyu, especially with Hanyu's programs this year -- he seems a little disconnected from the audience, the music, the performance. But this may well be related to his attempting such difficult technical content and being preoccupied with and exhausted by it.

In fact, Jason's coach said in interviews that one reason they decided to exclude the 3A so far is so that Jason can focus on the performance/PCS aspect.

Medalist
    I'm going to enjoy watching Jason's progress during the next few years.
    It seems that I'll have plenty of company!

I've also watched his programs many times since last Sunday - and will continue doing so, with great pleasure.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Agreed. To me, this ability to be a chameleon is a remarkable quality in one so young, as it is usually a trait of a seasoned artist, who can morph him/herself into many different roles convincingly (Michelle Kwan was brilliant at this). I think Brown is a more mature artist/performer than Hanyu, especially with Hanyu's programs this year -- he seems a little disconnected from the audience, the music, the performance. But this may well be related to his attempting such difficult technical content and being preoccupied with and exhausted by it.

In fact, Jason's coach said in interviews that one reason they decided to exclude the 3A so far is so that Jason can focus on the performance/PCS aspect.
    Ryan Bradley also has that chameleon quality - that's one thing I've always liked about him - although in terms of skills/elements, Jason is a much better all-around skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Thank you Feraina for the clip which said his music was a Puccini violin concerto. When I saw the comp, I thought he was skating to Turandot.

Jason Brown is one of the two skaters of today who does not oversell his tricks. They appear to be just steps in a non-stop routine. It's that non-stop program (with no Falls) that makes him a Dancer on Ice. Hope he gets the almighty Quad for next season. One other skater has that non-stop program was in either Novice or Juniors. His last name is Walker whom I will also be following next season with anticipation.
    Hi, just thought I would let you know that "Turandot" was composed by Puccini.

Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    Hi, just thought I would let you know that "Turandot" was composed by Puccini.
    Well, the second part of Jason's FS is definitely Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot. I'm a little confused about the first half, is it from another part of Turandot, or an altogether different piece by Puccini?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Well, the second part of Jason's FS is definitely Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot. I'm a little confused about the first half, is it from another part of Turandot, or an altogether different piece by Puccini?
    I think it's a different part of Turandot.

Interview with Kori Ade, Jason's coach, after his SP at National's:
    http://www.manleywoman.com/
    The interview starts around 34:20 .

She says Jason's idol is Ryan Bradley, because he's such a good a showman and can please the audience. Yay, Jason! (Of course the boy can look up to whoever he wants to, and an Olympic champion is not to be sneered at, but I'm so relieved that it's Ryan rather than Evan. )

She also says really interesting things about how she's coping with coaching an elite-level skater when she hadn't had the experience of doing so before.
    Last edited by feraina; 02-06-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Fascinating interview with Kori Ade, a woman who started out on the sports medicine side of things (she has degree in Skeletal Biology), but eventually got into coaching. She didn't come from a competitive background, and Jason is her first high level skater. From the interview, I gather that she spent a lot of time and money to educate herself on how to coach the more advanced moves. She has dealt with a lot of doubt and skepticism over the years (apparently others have come up to her repeatedly telling her to pass Jason to a more proven coach). From how sound Jason's technique is, I think Ade has done a great job of learning how to coach.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast