why i don't think they will ever put michelle kwan into any hof | Golden Skate

why i don't think they will ever put michelle kwan into any hof

fairly4

Medalist
why-so called eligibility-sarah didn't give it up-she just didn't skate. however because michelle is chinese, and usfsa federation, past skaters don't like her they will use the "eligibilty" to keep her out of it despite fulfiling every other way.not to mention her race.
why that makes me upset is they went out of their ways to bend the rules for tara to get to worlds, went out of their to help nicole behind scenes with her issues, they went out of their to help belbin get into olympics with citizenship, helped sasha get two gp events, bascially didn't have to skate all that way for olympics.

giving people money through funding isn't the same because most skaters has got some .
but only a few has gotten , preferential treatment.

what is being said done behind scenes is important-like the tribute most americans people associated michelle to past skaters, yet they clearly for whatever reason they chose kept her off, when most people wanted to see her on that one.

why-so called eligibility-sarah didn't give it up-she just didn't skate. however because michelle is chinese, and usfsa federation, past skaters don't like her they will use the "eligibilty" to keep her out of it despite fulfiling every other way.not to mention her race.
why that makes me upset is they went out of their ways to bend the rules for tara to get to worlds, went out of their to help nicole behind scenes with her issues, they went out of their to help belbin get into olympics with citizenship, helped sasha get two gp events, bascially didn't have to skate all that way for olympics.

giving people money through funding isn't the same because most skaters has got some .

what is being said done behind scenes is important-like the tribute most americans people associated michelle to past skaters, yet they clearly for whatever reason they chose kept her off, when most people wanted to see her on that one.

Fairly, I know that you worry about this, but I can't imagine that you are right in this assumption, for so many reasons. First and foremost, Michelle IS American skating. She's our most decorated female skater ever, she's beloved in the skating world and also by people who wouldn't know another skater if they fell over one, and her talent to move audiences as well as to win medals has been unparalleled. Just look--she's even made it irrelevant that she didn't win an Olympic Gold Medal. (I'm sure there are people in this country who think she actually did win one--and both of the ladies who beat her were themselves Americans!)

Second, though there certainly has been racism in the United States, I think at this point it's irrelevant in skating, and it certainly doesn't apply to Asian-American skaters. In fact, especially in ladies' singles, a champion skater is almost more likely to be of Asian descent than otherwise. And out in the international scene, Asia is booming in terms of its contributions to skating. There's a very real chance that there could be an Asian sweep of both men's and ladies' medals in this year's Worlds. And that's a good thing! There are more people coming to the feast of figure skating than ever before. It's not just Russians, Germans, and the latest American ice queen. People who are racists in that direction have probably left skating and gone to find some other sport...maybe equestrianism or Nordic skiing. (Not to criticize those sports in any way.)

If skating suffers from any kind of racial gap, it's in the lack of African-American and Latino/Latina skaters. Part of this is certainly economics: it's tremendously costly to keep a kid in skating until he/she becomes so good that a sponsor will help out. Part of it is cultural; skating isn't a sport that's boffo in Black and Hispanic communities...yet. (I always hope for change!)

But I can't imagine any scenario in which Michelle Kwan wouldn't be rewarded for her magnificent achievements in skating. Whatever distress is causing you to fear that possibility, I wish you could lay that aside. There is no line of skaters in this country in which Kwan would not be in first place, for any reason whatsoever.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Michelle will be eligible for the halls of fame when she is retired 5 years.

The question is ………….. when do they start the clock? :confused:

ivy

On the Ice
I have to say I'm with Olympia on this. Michelle is the most beloved skater in the US.

There is plenty of unexamined rasicm in the US, but I don't seeing it playing a role is the judging or promotion of skating within the USFSA. Even harder for me to see is a pro Japanese, anti Chinese and anti Korean bias. Americans aren't just informed enough on (or, sadly, interested enough in) international history to pick up on the cultural strains between different Asian countries. Maybe I'm naive and see the world as I think it should be, but I don't think so in this case.

PolymerBob's point is an excellent one. I think '06 Olys would be the earliest you could call her retired, since she certainly had trained to compete there. But she also talked about competing in the '10 Olys. Maybe she's not still not considered "retired"? I'm sure there are people at the USFSA who have thought all about this and are waiting to make a big fuss. I think she won her 1st Nat'ls & WC in '96. Maybe in 2016, we'll see her inducted at the 20th anniversary.

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't get it. Michelle is more beloved and accomplished than Sarah or Tara. I'm not in a hurry for her to be inducted. I know she will be.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I don't get it. Michelle is more beloved and accomplished than Sarah or Tara. I'm not in a hurry for her to be inducted. I know she will be.

Plus, I think USFS already has her name engraved on the trophy. They're just waiting for the countdown.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I would think the clock would start from the last time she competed since she didnt become ineligible at somepoint.

But she doesnt need it, Michelle is more famous than hof, because for hof I had to google it to see what it was. I didnt google Michelle :)

genki

On the Ice
I agree with Lavender. Michell is one of the most loved athlete in the US. However, I just want to mention that I saw a lot of comments like" Now, I think I saw real intention of USA" in some of the Japanese web sites when Flatt edged out Mirai last year in US nationals. This year, there was also disproportionately large media coverage for Cizny and Flatt than Mirai. Well, I maybe too sensitive, because I am Japanese living in US.

krenseby

Final Flight
I agree with Lavender. Michell is one of the most loved athlete in the US. However, I just want to mention that I saw a lot of comments like" Now, I think I saw real intention of USA" in some of the Japanese web sites when Flatt edged out Mirai last year in US nationals. This year, there was also disproportionately large media coverage for Cizny and Flatt than Mirai. Well, I maybe too sensitive, because I am Japanese living in US.

I wonder if Mirai is getting any publicity and media coverage in Japan. I remember that the Japanese media did used to pay attention to her, now I am not sure anymore.

But she doesn't need it, Michelle is more famous than hof, because for hof I had to google it to see what it was. I didnt google Michelle :)

Seriously. How many people know that there is a such a thing as the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame, or who was elected to it last year?

Michelle can have her own hall of fame, with only her in it. The MKHOF (pronounced "Em=cough").

Just like they used to have an annual trophy for the most popular U.S. skater, but after seven years or so they said, who are we kidding, let's just call it the Michelle Kwan trophy and be done with it. :yes:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
They can't put her in the HOF until she formally announces her retirement, and as long as there are more Winter Olympics, she won't officially retire. Clearly, the only solution is to remove figure skating from the Olympics.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Aside from the point but Michelle is often referred to as the most decorated U.S skater. Isnt Carol Hess with 5 World titles in a row, Olympic Gold, and Olympic Silver more "decorated" (not saying she is a better skater but she has the best achievements IMO).

Aside from the point but Michelle is often referred to as the most decorated U.S skater. Isnt Carol Hess with 5 World titles in a row, Olympic Gold, and Olympic Silver more "decorated" (not saying she is a better skater but she has the best achievements IMO).

I think they are using the word "decorated" to mean "weighted down with hardware." Michelle has something like 40 titles of one sort or another, each with it's accompanying "decoration."

Of course there are many more figure skating competitions now than in Carol Heiss' day.

I think because Michelle ties Carol with world championships and has a record-setting (tied with Maribel Vinson Owen) nine U.S. titles, plus two Olympic medals, plus all the other stuff, the Skating Powers (don't know who they are, so don't ask!) have given Michelle that designation. Heiss wins out in terms of medal color in the Olympics, of course, but in all other respects Michelle comes out on top.

One could argue it endlessly, I suppose. But anyway, Michelle and Carol were both splendid skaters and a credit to their country--on that we can all agree.

MKFSfan

Medalist
When did Sarah announce her retirement?

I bet Michelle is inducted next year, when it will be her 5th year removed from competing. How fitting...Nats 2012 will be in San Jose, where Michelle won her 1st National Title! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
Hi Krenseby:
Mirai gets a lot of media coverage in Japan. because all figure skating fans know that she is Japanese decedent and also speaks cute Japanese.
After she failed to qualify for the worlds this year, 4 sports media covered the story on the web,
http://news.fresheye.com/clip/6022388/

seniorita

Record Breaker
Seriously. How many people know that there is a such a thing as the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame, or who was elected to it last year?

Michelle can have her own hall of fame, with only her in it. The MKHOF (pronounced "Em=cough").

Just like they used to have an annual trophy for the most popular U.S. skater, but after seven years or so they said, who are we kidding, let's just call it the Michelle Kwan trophy and be done with it. :yes:
A, so this is what it is MK Trophhy, the most popular athlete of US. I didnt know this! Makes sense now!
Ok, I thought hall of fame is this thing you put your step or your hands in mud on the street somewhere in LA(?) and then they make it a star? And it is your own tile.No?

antmanb

Record Breaker

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Coffee up my nose and all over the desk!

Ant

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Don't worry when the right time comes, Michelle will get her own wall at hof, filled up with other great great skaters that had been inspired by her, e.g Yuna, Mirai (if she manage to get her act together - come on Mirai.) etc..

(BTW as I wrote this, I just realised, is this hof for US only?)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
A, so this is what it is MK Trophhy, the most popular athlete of US. I didnt know this! Makes sense now!
Ok, I thought hall of fame is this thing you put your step or your hands in mud on the street somewhere in LA(?) and then they make it a star? And it is your own tile.No?

no, that's the Hollywood Walk of Fame... completely different. The Hall of Fame is the USFSA's list of extraordinary athletes, officials, coaches, choreographers, etc who pushed teh sport forward in and for teh USA