why i don't think they will ever put michelle kwan into any hof | Page 3 | Golden Skate

why i don't think they will ever put michelle kwan into any hof

I guess it depends on whether Olympic gold medal winners are automatically considered front-runners for either worldwide HOF, whatever their other achievements. Sarah Hughes is kind of like Alexei Urmanov in that regard: the Olympic Gold and not much else. I think Sarah also has a world bronze, but she lacks a national title. (Urmanov has only one other international title, the European Gold, plus a bunch of national titles.) I suppose it could be likely that Alexei and Sarah are chosen for the Olympic Hall of Fame but not the World one. I think Michelle could make it into both. She does have two Olympic medals, after all.

Edit: Okay, I just looked up the roster of who's in the U.S. Olympics Hall of Fame. The only skaters in so far (this HOF started only about 1980) are gold medalists: Albright, Button, Heiss, Hamill, Hamilton, Fleming, Boitano, Yamaguchi. Neither of the Jenkins brothers (both gold medalists) are in yet, nor are Lipinski or Hughes. Looking at other athletes quickly, I think they might all be gold medal winners. I don't know whether that's a criterion or not. Well, if they don't let Michelle in, I'm not visiting it. So there.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
LOL, good point. What if a skater goes to adult am? would this mean that they never would get inducted? - purely hypothetical, I don't see why they wouldn't go for the pro status if they were that much in the media eye / in the "top spots."

this makes me wonder if anyone has done this? Is it even a possibility?

I'm fairly certain that US adult nationals masters level has skaters who competed in the "normal" way as kids and teens. I'd be surprised if anyone who ever won a championship medal or competed seriously internationally would be interested but i gather there are plenty of skaters who passed the various tests right up to senior as a kid and then came back to skating as an adult.

Ant

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'm fairly certain that US adult nationals masters level has skaters who competed in the "normal" way as kids and teens. I'd be surprised if anyone who ever won a championship medal or competed seriously internationally would be interested but i gather there are plenty of skaters who passed the various tests right up to senior as a kid and then came back to skating as an adult.

Ant
Actually, if he hadn't gotten injurred during practice last season, Loyd Eisler was going to compete Championship Pairs and Craig Joeright HAS competed Championship Pairs for three years

antmanb

Record Breaker
Actually, if he hadn't gotten injurred during practice last season, Loyd Eisler was going to compete Championship Pairs and Craig Joeright HAS competed Championship Pairs for three years

I didn't know about Lloyd Eisler! I had to google Craig Joeright as I had not heard of him and then it forced me to re-read what I wrote! I had initially written world championship then deleted world in my head including europeans, never thinking that nationals are also championships!

Ant

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yes, Loyd has coached most of the west coast Championship Adult pair teams and was thinking to add his name to the event to give it a little prestige. There was an article in Skating Magazine last year. :)