Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Entry Lists/Predictions

Custom Title
    the 3/4 of the kazakh team (Ten, Prilepko and Kucherenko/Adoniev) are no longer on the list... anybody does know why? Is it related to the Asian Winter Games in Kazakhstan?

Custom Title
    Oh noooo :( I was hoping that Kucherenko/Adoniev and Prilepko would also go to worlds, because it would have been great to have a lady and a dance team from an "obscure" country like Kazakhstan at worlds, but its not a good sign for worlds if they withdraw from 4CC :/
    Last edited by MagicFairy; 02-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Did they miss the qualifying score?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Did they miss the qualifying score?
    No, Kucherenko/Adoniev reached the minimum score at the Asian Winter Games and Kristina Prilepko at the Junior Grand Prix series (and also at the AWG).

Is there anything wrong in the Kazakhstan federation? Because it is strange, if nearly a complete team withdrew from a competition.
    Last edited by MagicFairy; 02-08-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Custom Title
    Too much partying after the Winter Games?

Custom Title
    It is disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing Denis Ten's progress.

I tried to look up the information from the Skating Federation of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Unfortunately the Kazakhistan federation does not have an official website; I was unable to even find a contact information to make an inquiry.

At this point I'm hoping that I could see Denis' performance at Worlds.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Didn't Denis have some sort of injury?

mylastduchess
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Didn't Denis have some sort of injury?
    Probably not, but they probably thought competing in two competition in 3 weeks would have been tough (same goes for the rest of the Kazak team)

Custom Title
    Hey, we seem to be missing Cathy/Chris Reed of Japan in the Ice Dance. Anybody know why? I know they competed (and medaled) at the Asian Games which was in the last few days so maybe too close in time with 4CC. I assume there was some strategy in sending them to Asian Games rather than 4CC, which is obviously a bigger competition.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 02-09-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Both Canada and the US are sending their A teams to 4CC's:
    V&M
    W&P
    C&P
    D&W
    C&Z
    S&S

The best the Reeds could place is 6th, and they've been landing behind one of the Chinese teams, too, so probably 7th is the best they could achieve.

If there was money associated with Asian games, where they could (and did) win the silver medal, I can see why they would prefer to go there instead.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Hey, we seem to be missing Cathy/Chris Reed of Japan in the Ice Dance. Anybody know why? I know they competed (and medaled) at the Asian Games which was in the last few days so maybe too close in time with 4CC. I assume there was some strategy in sending them to Asian Games rather than 4CC, which is obviously a bigger competition.
    There's no information on the "reason". In fact, Reeds didn't compete at 4CC in past two seasons. Maybe they just don't want long trips to Asia. For the JSF and the Japanese Olympic Committee, Asian Winter Games is more important. Reeds could turn down 4CC assignment in return for going to Kazakhstan. The lack of domestic competitions is making a good excuse for them. I hope some new teams to pose challenges to them.
    Last edited by NMURA; 02-09-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Custom Title
    Re age discrepencies with Chinese athletes: I don't know what or how the Chinese Federation does with their info and docs, but I do have some understanding why the Chinese "cheating" usually involves their athletes' ages, as opposed to rampant drug uses.

A Chinese tell his/her age

1. by the Lunar calendar,
    2. as one year old at birth, and
    3. add one year at Chinese (Lunar) New year.

A baby born on the eve of the Chinese New Year is considered 2 years old the next day! Most Chinese will tell you their age, in all honesty, 1 - 2 years older than how Westerners calculate ages. Wanting to be young and counting one's age by birthday is a new concept to most Chinese in China. And the less educated ones don't even know their birthdays by Western calendar. Things can get quite confusing.

For a little levity, I'll tell a story I heard from a HK immigrant but don't send me any Canadian G-man because it's hearsay and I don't know the people in the story:

A Chinese immigrant in Canada was left with 3 children after his wife died. He sent words back to his village back in China to find a new wife, specifying someone about 40 years old because he didn't want any more children. A 30 year old widow there was encouraged by her relatives to tell her age as 40 so she could marry again. She came to Canada, had 3 kids with her new husband and started receiving her Canadian Pension 10 years early. Everybody lives happily ever after.

eta: The Chinese don't name months; instead they are numbered 1 to 12, in both calendars and they don't coincide. When talking to a visitor or new immigrant from China, getting his/her age is often confusing, whether going by what s/he tells you or by trying to calculate with his/her birthday.

A Chinese' age usually just means which Lunar year they are currently living. Someone saying he's 30 means this is the 30th Lunar year he's living and the aforementioned baby is in his second Lunar year the day after his birth. The baby born a day after him, on New Year's Day, is forever one year younger. The Chinese do celebrate birthdays, traditionally for elders, for full age, i.e. one year more than a Westerner would consider himself to be, but they start considering themselves that age on New Year's Day.

BTW, there are 360 days per Lunar year vs 365(.25) days in the Gregorian calendar year.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-09-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks SkateFiguring. Your info is informative. What you provided gives me an understanding as to the context of age discrepancy.

When athelete is accomplished enough to participate in international competitions, I still believe that it is the Chinese federation's responsibility to rigorously verify the age requirement.

I remember the lingering age requirement doubt of Chinese gymnasttic team that medaled in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. The dispute was finally resolved 10 years later. The Chinese team was confiscated of their medals and the US team was awared their "rightful" bronze medals.

No athletes should be denied of 10 years of rightful achievement and recognition. I also don't blame Chinese gymnasts either. They don't deserve to live for 10 years as if they were criminals.

I just have to let this off my chest. So there.
    Last edited by CARA; 02-09-2011 at 11:43 AM.

I go more in-depth with my predictions and my reasoning on my blog

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/

But here are my podium predictions:

Men:
    1) Kozuka
    2) Takahashi
    3) Abbott

Ladies:
    1) Ando
    2) Czisny
    3) Asada

Pairs:
    1) Pang & Tong
    2) Yankowskas & Coughlin
    3) Moore-Towers & Moscovitch

Dance:
    1) Davis & White
    2) Virtue & Moir
    3) Shibutani & Shibutani

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Re age discrepencies with Chinese athletes: I don't know what or how the Chinese Federation does with their info and docs, but I do have some understanding why the Chinese "cheating" usually involves their athletes' ages, as opposed to rampant drug uses.

<snip the rest for brevity>
    All of this information may be fascinating to others, but is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand and seems to be trotted out as a form of "excuse" for bad behavior. What you are speaking of is cultural and folk colloquialisms, what really matters is legality. As a matter of legality on birth dates, what's on a Chinese birth certificate is the same as anywhere else in the world: it's the date the baby pops out of its mother. It is a fixed date in time, using the same (solar) calendar as anywhere else. Whatever age people choose to call themselves in solar years, western years, lunar years, dog years, or whatever...is not relevant.

The ISU, as a requirement for participating in Junior and Senior International Competitions, sets a fixed date in time for age requirements--as in for Senior Competitions in the 2010-2011 season, one must have been born by July 1, 1995. Fixed date of one's birth <--> Fixed date requirement from ISU. Apples to apples. Let's all be very clear about this. There is no "misunderstanding" because of ISU/Western customs vs Chinese cultural habits. This is an attempt at cheating. Whether it is using an athlete's actual birth date that violates the ISU minimums (or maximums in the case of Junior comps) and the Chinese hoping nobody will notice, or whether it is outright falsification of the actual fixed birth date--which yes, happens with Chinese government collusion with the Federation--it is still cheating.

As an aside to the last comment from the quoted poster RE drug use: not in figure skating, but clearly, you haven't seen the Chinese lady weightlifters. Would give the mighty "ladies" of old East Germany a run for their money. That's for a different forum however....
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 02-10-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast