Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Entry Lists/Predictions

Custom Title
    The Japanese Federation seems to have taken rather passive attitude towards their top female pair skaters, i.e., Ina, Inoue, & Kavaguti. To be honest, I do not have any knowledge as to whether there were any negotiations among federations.

I also have no idea if Japanese federation attempted to recruit the Shibs. I've watched the Shibs' FD video at the 2009 Junior Worlds. In that video, a Japanese commentator alluded how much they wanted the Shibs to represent Japan but was certain that the US federation would not let go of their promising young skaters. perhaps Doris might know the inside information?

Takahashi/Tran is an interesting case. For the first time, an internationally competitive team is representing Japan. They brought first Jr. World medal in 2010; they are also the reigning JGPF champion. We'll know just how competitive they could be at the senior circuit depending on their results at the 4CC & Worlds.

I hope T/T team does well. Perhaps it might be time for Japanese fans to start "draft Tran" movement?

Custom Title
    Sarah and Drew just tweeted:
    Just heard Jeremy Barrett's injured - a practice accident cut his leg - so Denney and Barrett are out of 4CC.
    In the entries list, they already appear replaced by Mary-Beth Marley and Rockne Brubaker

Hope Jeremy will get well soon

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Jeremy posted on his Facebook that he had 42 stitches in his leg and didn't see that coming. I feel soo bad a day before they were supposed leave:(

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That well & truly is dreadful in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Jeremy posted on his Facebook that he had 42 stitches in his leg and didn't see that coming. I feel soo bad a day before they were supposed leave:(
    he also posted a picture of the gash and it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gross... my toes will not uncurl and I saw the photo over five minutes ago! ICK!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    he also posted a picture of the gash and it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gross... my toes will not uncurl and I saw the photo over five minutes ago! ICK!
    Thank god I missed that! I feel bad they're season has been cut so short:(

Tonichelle the pic wound up being in my news feed, all I can say is gross and I hope they gave him great pain killers.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I can't believe I looked. I thought it would be post stitches , not pre. It looks awfully deep.
    How horrible for them !

Rogue Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    Utako Wakamatsu, who had a successful career as a pair skater (a few podium finishes in GPS and 4CC) competing for Canada, retired when she realised she would not be able to represent Japan in the Olympics as her partner was not willing to obtain Japanese citizenship - or was it not possible for him to do so perhaps? - my memory fails me here.
    Wakamatsu actually competed for Canada, and was going to try for Canadian citizenship. She had a change of heart the year before the Olympics, and decided she did not want to give up her Japanese citizenship. Not being eligible to compete at the Olympics for Canada was a disappointment for both partners. There was never discussion (that I am aware of) of Fecteau trying for Japanese citizenship. I think that would have been considered more difficult to achieve than Canadian citizenship, and therefore was not considered.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post
    Wakamatsu actually competed for Canada, and was going to try for Canadian citizenship. She had a change of heart the year before the Olympics, and decided she did not want to give up her Japanese citizenship. Not being eligible to compete at the Olympics for Canada was a disappointment for both partners. There was never discussion (that I am aware of) of Fecteau trying for Japanese citizenship. I think that would have been considered more difficult to achieve than Canadian citizenship, and therefore was not considered.
    Thank you so much for your clarification! I'll add a note to my original post to avoid confusion.

I sometimes wish IOC would loosen the regulations for pairs and couples with different nationalities, and allow them to represent one of the countries. It must be such a hard decision to make - whether to take nationality or chance for competing at the Olympics. I know such a change could open a can of warms in more than one way, but still...

Oh my God, that is horrible. I wish Jeremy a complete recovery. By the way, I also saw the photo, and it looked so gross!

Custom Title
    I, too, feel sorry for Jeremy's injury. May he recover quickly.

He had also posted that it was his fault, he and Caydee were doing side by side jumps and he did not have speed coming out of the jump and Caydee' s blade hit his leg. Hope he recovers quickly!

Custom Title
    Oh my god, poor Jeremy Barrett That wound is so nasty! I had trouble looking at it and things like that normally don't bother me. Wow. So sad it had to happen right before the competition too. I hope he recovers quickly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    Thank you so much for your clarification! I'll add a note to my original post to avoid confusion.

I sometimes wish IOC would loosen the regulations for pairs and couples with different nationalities, and allow them to represent one of the countries. It must be such a hard decision to make - whether to take nationality or chance for competing at the Olympics. I know such a change could open a can of warms in more than one way, but still...
    I don't think that would ever happen. The main actors of the Olympics are nations, not individual athletes. Japanese citizenship regulations are extremely strict. The conditions are -- you have to live in Japan for ten years, with a permanent job, and sufficient Japanese language skills. Tran has almost no chance to obtain it. But without a national pair team, Japan cannot participate the Olympic team competition. The JSF have to do something about it. Considering the size of Narumi Takahashi, I think some of the Japanese junior men can handle that. The JSF and the JOC can supply necessary funds, coaches and training facilities.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast