Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN
Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN
Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG
Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG
Huibo DONG / Yiming WU
Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH
Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS
Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD

Here Pang/Tong, Takahashi/Tran, and Yankowskas/Coughlin make top 5 of both list and have to be the forerunners. MT/M is the team to have had a quick rise and the momentum whereas Duhame/Radford is a new team with seasoned skaters so they could be the dark horse. P/T is a sure bet while the other teams mentioned will have to battle for 2nd and 3rd.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
DANCE

By SB

Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
Vanessa CRONE / Paul POIRIER
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN
Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG
Xiaoyang / Chen WANG
Corenne BRUHNS / Benjamin WESTENBERGERYU
Viktoria KUCHERENKO / Viktor ADONIEV
Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
Danielle OBRIEN / Gregory MERRIMAN
Maria BOROUNOV / Evgeni BOROUNOV

By WS

Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
Vanessa CRONE / Paul POIRIER
Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG
Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG
Xueting GUAN / Meng WANG
Maria BOROUNOV / Evgeni BOROUNOV
Danielle OBRIEN / Gregory MERRIMAN
Corenne BRUHNS / Benjamin WESTENBERGER
Viktoria KUCHERENKO / Viktor ADONIEV

Ice is less slippery for dancers so Davis/White is the best bet, followed by virtue/Moir with potential to surprise and stun, while the two Canadian teams will battle with the quick rising Shibutanis for 3rd. I predict a N American sweep. The Chinese teams are sneaking up there with little notice here in N America so they should be watched for the future or maybe even a spoiler dark horse this season.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
True. But to be fair, the Chinese federation shouldn't be sending these entries in the first place.
I couldn't agree more. This is the kind of "win at any cost" attitude that make a whole lot of people cynical toward our sports.
First Chinese gymnasts Olympic under age controversy. Then the underage figure skater controversy the last year, and now this. I am really running out of patience and what little respect that I still have toward the Chinese federation.

I hope Chinese figure skate fans speak out against their own federation.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I've been told that the ISU is aware of Kexin ZHANG's birthdate situation and are in touch with the Chinese federation about it.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Pairs:
1.) Pang/Tong - they should have no problem
2.) Takahashi/Tran
3.) Yankowskas/Coughlin if they skate like Nationals.

Dance:
1.) Davis/White, obviously
2.) Virtue/Moir, but they are a question mark - could be great, could need work
3.) Crone/Poirier, but there will be competition from the Shibutanis if they skate like Nationals

Men:
1.) Kozuka - he is the most consistent, and takes advantage when others falter
2.) Rippon - he has something to prove after placing 5th at Nationals
3.) Takahashi - will make many small errors in the LP

Ladies:
1.) Asada - she is on the upswing and has her confidence back
2.) Ando - she has been skating solid LPs all season
3.) Czisny - this is her year, but if she falters, Nagasu has something to prove after placing 3rd at Nationals

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've been told that the ISU is aware of Kexin ZHANG's birthdate situation and are in touch with the Chinese federation about it.

Good! Let's hope both ISU and the Chinese federation do right by us fans and especially skaters who adhere to rules.
No more cheating. Gosh, enough's enough!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The international judges really like T/T. They seem to pull points out of no where. They only do double lutz twist and her sbs jumps aren't that impressive but they placed above the top american teams in all competitions.
The win at JGPF only helps. Can't wait to see how it will play out.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I couldn't agree more. This is the kind of "win at any cost" attitude that make a whole lot of people cynical toward our sports.
First Chinese gymnasts Olympic under age controversy. Then the underage figure skater controversy the last year, and now this. I am really running out of patience and what little respect that I still have toward the Chinese federation.

I hope Chinese figure skate fans speak out against their own federation.

I don't disagree with you. The Chinese Federation will do whatever it feels it can get away with.
However, most Chinese fans, assuming they are even aware of a rules breach, will normally take a defensive posture and default to nationalism rather than fairness when it comes to sports.

doesn't IN also have a list of Bests? maybe we should prefer one over the other. Maybe you could make your own list.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I am so excited for 4 Continents this year because the Nations involved are sending their top skaters for the most part. I've done my predictions/previews for Ice Dance and Pairs so far on my blog http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/

I will be posting my ladies and mens previews later this week.

Ice Dance: Pairs:
Davis/White Pang/Tong
Virtue/Moir Yankowskas/Coughlin
Shibutanis Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
Crone/Poirier Denney/Barrett
Weaver/Poje Evora/Ladwig
Chock/Zuerlein Takahashi/Tran

Nirti

Medalist
the 3/4 of the kazakh team (Ten, Prilepko and Kucherenko/Adoniev) are no longer on the list... anybody does know why? Is it related to the Asian Winter Games in Kazakhstan?

MagicFairy

On the Ice
Oh noooo :( I was hoping that Kucherenko/Adoniev and Prilepko would also go to worlds, because it would have been great to have a lady and a dance team from an "obscure" country like Kazakhstan at worlds, but its not a good sign for worlds if they withdraw from 4CC :/

Last edited:

MagicFairy

On the Ice
Did they miss the qualifying score?

No, Kucherenko/Adoniev reached the minimum score at the Asian Winter Games and Kristina Prilepko at the Junior Grand Prix series (and also at the AWG).

Is there anything wrong in the Kazakhstan federation? Because it is strange, if nearly a complete team withdrew from a competition.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It is disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing Denis Ten's progress.

I tried to look up the information from the Skating Federation of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Unfortunately the Kazakhistan federation does not have an official website; I was unable to even find a contact information to make an inquiry.

At this point I'm hoping that I could see Denis' performance at Worlds.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Hey, we seem to be missing Cathy/Chris Reed of Japan in the Ice Dance. Anybody know why? I know they competed (and medaled) at the Asian Games which was in the last few days so maybe too close in time with 4CC. I assume there was some strategy in sending them to Asian Games rather than 4CC, which is obviously a bigger competition.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Both Canada and the US are sending their A teams to 4CC's:
V&M
W&P
C&P
D&W
C&Z
S&S

The best the Reeds could place is 6th, and they've been landing behind one of the Chinese teams, too, so probably 7th is the best they could achieve.

If there was money associated with Asian games, where they could (and did) win the silver medal, I can see why they would prefer to go there instead.