Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RISE 1961 A Must See for all Skating Fans

Custom Title

RISE 1961 A Must See for all Skating Fans

Some of us in Greensboro were invited to a special preview screening of the documentary RISE 1961. It details the story of the crash that took the lives of the 1961 figure skating team, including bio details of those that were killed. It's a real tearjerker, so bring a hankie. Much of the focus was on Maribel Vinson Owen, who was perhaps the most notable skater/coach at that time and her two daughters that were killed with her, but how how legacy lived on with her student Frank Carroll - also featured - and how what she instilled in him lives on thru his students. Also gives info on the other members of the team and clips of their skating, which hasn't really been seen or known by today's skaters. Hosts included Olympians Scott Hamilton, Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Brian Boitano and Michelle Kwan. Evan Lysacek is seen skating in the background at the beginning of the film, along with a clip from his Olympic win. All skating fans should try to see this film.

Custom Title
    Oh, I hope I get the chance! The first skating research I ever did, way before Internet days, was on this crash. That's where I first learned about the Owen family, Maribel and her two daughters. Thanks so much for your report about this film. I hope they put it on DVD so we can all get to see it one way or another.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    How much actual skating is in it?

It's playing here on February 17 in several theaters. One of them, near the Onyx figure skating club, has the distinction of being the first theater nationwide to sell out. Lindsey Weber , former competitor and now a coach active in USFSA affairs spearheaded a very successful PR campaign among local skating clubs to get everyone to go and see it.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    It'll probably foreeeeeever until I get to see it, living in Mexico.

Seems wonderful though. Can't wait.

The movie is playing for one night only across the US on Feb 17th. You can type in your zip code and look up showtimes and buy tickets from this link:

http://www.fandango.com/rise_129597/...date=2/17/2011

It's playing at a theater right next to me. But I will only go see it if there is a lot of actual skating in it. And the promise/threat of seeing Evan's Olympic FS isn't quite enough.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    That's true. It will be much better if they have a lot of actual skating. Imagine how magnificent it would be to see skating on the big screen!

What a bummer that I won't get to see it.

Actually I don't know how much skating is in it. That's why I asked KKonas. I'd love to see figure skating on a giant screen.

Have my ticket already for this event.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan View Post
    Have my ticket already for this event.
    AMC Mission Valley at 8 pm?

One of the ice dancers, Donna Lee Carrier, was born in National City, California--the city I grew up in. While National City had fallen on hard times in the 80's and early 90's, my last visit to NC four months ago showed me that that city is actually "rising."

I can't wait to learn more about Donna Lee, and the others.
    Last edited by blue dog; 02-03-2011 at 01:11 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    It'll probably foreeeeeever until I get to see it, living in Mexico.

Seems wonderful though. Can't wait.
    Same forever here. I wanted to see it too, the trailer is touching and I ve seen only a very short documnetary about this in the past. I doubt it will come in Europe though.

Tripping on the Podium
    Does anyone thing it will be available somehow on the Internet. We don't have a movie theater on St. John, and it will never ever play at the one on St. Thomas. Maybe they'll sell a DVD of it? Anyone heard anything about that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    How much actual skating is in it?
    Actual skating is approx 1/3 of the film, still photos approx 1/3 of the film, and talking heads approx 1/3 of the film. Skating is pretty much old black and white clips - most from the 1961 Nationals. Evan's Olympic clip is mostly of his reaction to winning the gold - not of his full FS. The movie is done in documentary style about those that were killed in the 1961 crash. It's of historical value.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Had my tix for about a month ~ looking forward to seeing this film and am so glad it has been made to commemorate the lost team and to document their achievements.

Custom Title
    Hope they release this movie on DVD since most likely it won't be shown in theaters here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast