RISE 1961 A Must See for all Skating Fans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

RISE 1961 A Must See for all Skating Fans

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I was excited to see it is playing around the corner from my house, I didn't think it would be, I live in the suburbs by Philly. I am going to get my tickets this afternoon!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I am going to see with with my mom. And yes it is coming out on DVD, insiders at Nationals confirmed that RISE is coming out on DVD in Fall 2011, with all procedes goin to the memorial fund.

My question is the film entirely about the victims of the crash, or does it also show how we rised, how Scott Allen, Peggy, Dorthoy, Scott, Brian, and Michelle, brough figure skating back, and how the memorial fund helped them.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
There's a book out about the 1961 team.
"Indelible Tracings" by Patricia Shelley Bushman
I think the cost was $30.
Just started reading it.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
got our tickets - I think I read somewhere that it will be released as a DVD in the fall.

Thank goodness! With just one theater viewing, at night on a weekday, I don't know if I'll get there. But a DVD will get a lot of purchasers and will make good revenues for the fund, plus we'll get to see it whenever we want.

Over at fsuniverse, which I'm not a member of so I can't link to it, there's a link to an article by a skater who wasn't on the plane but was the junior champion (I think) that year and was good friends with Laurence Owen and some of the others. Unimaginable what the loved ones had to deal with.

Binthere

On the Ice
Too bad there isn't more coverage of Four Continents. The idea of having Rise remind people about the sport would have a great follow if the best of the present could be seen competing today.

Jhar55

Medalist
There's also a book called Frozen in Time by Nikki Nichols. Purchased it back in 2006 when Nationals was held in St. Louis.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I queried Mr. Ramsey Baker, Senior Director, Marketing and Communications for U.S. Figure Skating by email late last year about their plans for the movie RISE.

In part this is what I learned from his response:

In the works is a future DVD release and a special DVD distribution to all U.S. Figure Skating clubs at the USFS Governing council in May 2011. Clubs will be encouraged to hold a private showing for members. The DVD will include the full 2/17 event, as well as special segments, extended versions/cuts, etc.

In addition, U.S. Figure Skating is working on a TV distribution partner for fall 2011. Finally, icenwork.com will be the exclusive online distributor of the RISE event after we have exhausted the channels mentioned above. Some time after the Feb. 17 showing of the film, when the contract USFS has with the film distributor Fathom Events concludes, more information on all the various distribution plans for RISE will be announced.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Less than 48 hrs. to go! :thumbsup:

It's playing in 8 theatres near the city in which I live, Seattle, and all showtimes start at 8:00PM PST sharp.

Needless to say both me & my gorgeous 13 yr. old baby niece are looking forward to it with tons of excitement, all set & ready to go, just counting down the hours now, lol. :D

Here's hoping all true U.S. figure skating fans that live in the United States go to watch it, of course noting those that are unable to do so due to it not playing in their city, job, prior commitment, expenses, et al. But those of us that are lucky enough to see it, SHOULD, this opportunity won't come again. In fact I can't think of another time wherein a big screen movie of this magnitude, focusing *solely* on figure skating/real figure skating, has ever happened before!

:love:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "RISE"!!!!!!:party:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Bummer, I just found out that, as always, the west coast gets shafted once again. :( It will be premiering *LIVE* everywhere else across the country tomorrow night except for those of us on the west coast per the norm. Lol, we even get shafted when it comes to a huge movie premiere of this magnitude.

BUT, to look on the bright side!, at least we get to see it! :thumbsup: So what if it's a couple of hours tape delayed, at least we get to see it, whereas others are not so fortunate due to living outside the United States, not playing in their area, job, prior commitment, expenses, et al. Therefore, I am counting my blessings. :agree:

Less than 24 hrs. to go, the countdown begins...

:yay: *cheers* HERE'S HOPING THAT EVERYBODY THAT HAS THE CHANCE, GOES, TIME TO UNITE FOR OUR SPORT, SHOW THAT WE DO LOVE IT, PUT YOUR $ WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!! *cheers* :yay:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
FYI: This information about the premiere tonight is posted on the front page of the US Figure Skating website so you may want to get to your theatre about a half hour earlier than the printed time on your ticket so you don't miss anything. I'm looking forward to the event tonight! :clap:

(2/17) - As a point of clarification, RISE premieres tonight at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT/6 p.m. MT/8 p.m. PT. However, there is a 30-minute pre-show and a 30-minute post-show, so if you want to see the entire presentation, please plan to arrive at the theater at least a half-hour early and stay until an hour and 45 minutes after the start time printed on your ticket.

Website Link: http://www.usfigureskating.org/default.asp

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I think the info. is confusing for some, but not me, because if you look at the complete summary it is 2 hrs. in length, exactly the amount of time the movie shows here in the PNW/PST ~ 8:00 PM PST - 10:00 PM PST. Btw, I just called my local theatre to get the latest info., and they told me they have only sold 17% of the tickets they have, still have 200+ left to sell tonight. And that's only for one theatre, there are 7 others that are showing it tonight as well in & around Seattle, Washington. Just some FYI. :)

:party2:ENJOY, EVERYONE, WE LEAVE IN 1 HR!!!!!:party:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sadly I will not be able to attend... so disappointed. Will miss the encore as well.

emma

Record Breaker
I will try to see the encore - but as of now, it conflicts with work. Does anyone know if a DVD will be available for sale?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just got back from a very very late night dinner, after seeing "RISE" with my 13 yr. old baby niece. :love:

We got there exactly 5 minutes before it started, purchased our tickets, then went to sit down in the theatre, which was surprisingly 75% full, therefore we two had to sit down in front per usual for us, lol. :D

Another surprise was that it was already going on, so I was wrong! :eek: Ah, I guess we should have gotten there 1/2 hr. early. *embarrassed* Anyhow, there was a countdown clock on the screen below the people speaking, which was Dick Button and the female host, counting down the last 3.5 minutes! Then alas it began. :)^)

I can't recall everything, just that there was a lot of talking from Peter Carruthers (the other host), as well as the following US Skating Stars that came onto the stage, gorgeously dressed, to sit down & reminisce: Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, and Michelle Kwan, accompanied with old footage of each.

I enjoyed that, but more than all else I enjoyed the footage of the skaters from 1961, and the people that actually knew them speaking about them. For instance, Frank Carroll's recollections of Maribel Vinson Owen, and Barbara Ann Roles memories of sharing bunkbeds with Carol Heiss & Laurence Owen at the 1960 Winter Olympics. :)^D Things like that, as well as Coach Ron Ludington's brash no-nonsense stories of all of them, lol! :D That made the movie so personal, one-on-one I felt, and for the very first time made me feel as if I knew them, just a little bit. :)

I have to say my favorite story was about Laurence, think Ron Ludington was the one that shared it, about how different she & her sister were. Little Maribel was bubbly, always up for a party or a laugh, which I never knew before until then, whereas surprisingly Laurence was the quieter one (shock!), more introspective, and even sarcastic a bit when it came to her mother's drill sargeant-like ways on the ice, saying "Yes, Mother, I know, Mother". And Big Maribel would get angry and say "don't get sarcastic with me!" At which point one of the skaters (maybe one of the Jenkins Bros?) would go up to Laurence and say "Stop it, you know she's going to get mad and take it out on the rest of us now". Interesting HUGE insight into the mother/coach/daughter dynamic going on there, which I never knew before. And also eye-opening were Dorothy Hamill in particular, as well as Peggy Fleming's take on that, how hard it must have been for Laurence to have to have that go on not only on the ice, but also at home as well, to have to constantly be under her mother's watch 24/7. Anyhow, that's the part I found the most interesting ~ Maribel's personality & life as well ~ where she came from and what drove her, and also what made her cry (e.g. people telling her to "stop acting like a man"), just because she was a very strong woman, but vulnerable, whom basically had to raise two daughters on her own after the divorce. And from there came these remarkable daughters, both excelled at skating, but both totally different.

On that score, I have to say Laurence's last poem, which I had never read before (don't even think it's on the internet, as I have the other two poems she is famous for), was prophetic, in her heart she obviously knew her fate. The part about the sky turning to night, and alas the dawn. Sorry, totally screwing it up, you *have* to read it, that's all I have to say. Dorothy knows what I mean.

Another fascinating revelation were the Westerfeld Sisters (i.e. Sharon & Stephanie), both glamorous, great skaters, and pushed by their mother. Pushed so hard in fact that their mother, right before the 1961 US Nationals, was getting divorced from their father, having moved the girls all over the country in pursuit of stardom. Sorry to say, but I feel this was bad karma on her part, losing her girls, who were finally free of her to fly across the skies on their own to Worlds, whom by all accounts got on fabulously, were the best of friends. It's fitting that they died together imho.

These are only three of the many fascinating stories that were told, there are so many more, I highly recommend seeing the encore performance on March 7th, and also buying the DVD, which is coming soon I heard. I just need time to reflect, so much to digest, and to think about...

p.s. Dakota Fanning's voice was used to play Laurence Owen's voice on that fateful poem. Also, I was disappointed there wasn't anything on Bradley Lord, whom fascinated me after someone put up his 1961 US Nationals FS earlier this year.

Will write more later, right now just sitting back and thinking about it all. :)^)