Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RISE 1961 A Must See for all Skating Fans

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    I queried Mr. Ramsey Baker, Senior Director, Marketing and Communications for U.S. Figure Skating by email late last year about their plans for the movie RISE.

In part this is what I learned from his response:

In the works is a future DVD release and a special DVD distribution to all U.S. Figure Skating clubs at the USFS Governing council in May 2011. Clubs will be encouraged to hold a private showing for members. The DVD will include the full 2/17 event, as well as special segments, extended versions/cuts, etc.

In addition, U.S. Figure Skating is working on a TV distribution partner for fall 2011. Finally, icenwork.com will be the exclusive online distributor of the RISE event after we have exhausted the channels mentioned above. Some time after the Feb. 17 showing of the film, when the contract USFS has with the film distributor Fathom Events concludes, more information on all the various distribution plans for RISE will be announced.

Custom Title
    Less than 48 hrs. to go!

It's playing in 8 theatres near the city in which I live, Seattle, and all showtimes start at 8:00PM PST sharp.

Needless to say both me & my gorgeous 13 yr. old baby niece are looking forward to it with tons of excitement, all set & ready to go, just counting down the hours now, lol. :D

Here's hoping all true U.S. figure skating fans that live in the United States go to watch it, of course noting those that are unable to do so due to it not playing in their city, job, prior commitment, expenses, et al. But those of us that are lucky enough to see it, SHOULD, this opportunity won't come again. In fact I can't think of another time wherein a big screen movie of this magnitude, focusing *solely* on figure skating/real figure skating, has ever happened before!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "RISE"!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Bummer, I just found out that, as always, the west coast gets shafted once again. :( It will be premiering *LIVE* everywhere else across the country tomorrow night except for those of us on the west coast per the norm. Lol, we even get shafted when it comes to a huge movie premiere of this magnitude.

BUT, to look on the bright side!, at least we get to see it! So what if it's a couple of hours tape delayed, at least we get to see it, whereas others are not so fortunate due to living outside the United States, not playing in their area, job, prior commitment, expenses, et al. Therefore, I am counting my blessings.

Less than 24 hrs. to go, the countdown begins...

*cheers* HERE'S HOPING THAT EVERYBODY THAT HAS THE CHANCE, GOES, TIME TO UNITE FOR OUR SPORT, SHOW THAT WE DO LOVE IT, PUT YOUR $ WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!! *cheers*

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    FYI: This information about the premiere tonight is posted on the front page of the US Figure Skating website so you may want to get to your theatre about a half hour earlier than the printed time on your ticket so you don't miss anything. I'm looking forward to the event tonight!

(2/17) - As a point of clarification, RISE premieres tonight at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT/6 p.m. MT/8 p.m. PT. However, there is a 30-minute pre-show and a 30-minute post-show, so if you want to see the entire presentation, please plan to arrive at the theater at least a half-hour early and stay until an hour and 45 minutes after the start time printed on your ticket.
    Website Link: http://www.usfigureskating.org/default.asp

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    There is even an encore!!! If you can't see it tonight, March 7 is your night.

http://www.fathomevents.com/sports/e...iseencore.aspx

Custom Title
    Will everyone who goes please tell the rest of us about it? Thanks!

Custom Title
    Well I think the info. is confusing for some, but not me, because if you look at the complete summary it is 2 hrs. in length, exactly the amount of time the movie shows here in the PNW/PST ~ 8:00 PM PST - 10:00 PM PST. Btw, I just called my local theatre to get the latest info., and they told me they have only sold 17% of the tickets they have, still have 200+ left to sell tonight. And that's only for one theatre, there are 7 others that are showing it tonight as well in & around Seattle, Washington. Just some FYI.

ENJOY, EVERYONE, WE LEAVE IN 1 HR!!!!!

sadly I will not be able to attend... so disappointed. Will miss the encore as well.

Custom Title
    I will try to see the encore - but as of now, it conflicts with work. Does anyone know if a DVD will be available for sale?

Custom Title
    Just got back from a very very late night dinner, after seeing "RISE" with my 13 yr. old baby niece.

We got there exactly 5 minutes before it started, purchased our tickets, then went to sit down in the theatre, which was surprisingly 75% full, therefore we two had to sit down in front per usual for us, lol. :D

Another surprise was that it was already going on, so I was wrong! Ah, I guess we should have gotten there 1/2 hr. early. *embarrassed* Anyhow, there was a countdown clock on the screen below the people speaking, which was Dick Button and the female host, counting down the last 3.5 minutes! Then alas it began. (:^)

I can't recall everything, just that there was a lot of talking from Peter Carruthers (the other host), as well as the following US Skating Stars that came onto the stage, gorgeously dressed, to sit down & reminisce: Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, and Michelle Kwan, accompanied with old footage of each.

I enjoyed that, but more than all else I enjoyed the footage of the skaters from 1961, and the people that actually knew them speaking about them. For instance, Frank Carroll's recollections of Maribel Vinson Owen, and Barbara Ann Roles memories of sharing bunkbeds with Carol Heiss & Laurence Owen at the 1960 Winter Olympics. (:^D Things like that, as well as Coach Ron Ludington's brash no-nonsense stories of all of them, lol! :D That made the movie so personal, one-on-one I felt, and for the very first time made me feel as if I knew them, just a little bit.

I have to say my favorite story was about Laurence, think Ron Ludington was the one that shared it, about how different she & her sister were. Little Maribel was bubbly, always up for a party or a laugh, which I never knew before until then, whereas surprisingly Laurence was the quieter one (shock!), more introspective, and even sarcastic a bit when it came to her mother's drill sargeant-like ways on the ice, saying "Yes, Mother, I know, Mother". And Big Maribel would get angry and say "don't get sarcastic with me!" At which point one of the skaters (maybe one of the Jenkins Bros?) would go up to Laurence and say "Stop it, you know she's going to get mad and take it out on the rest of us now". Interesting HUGE insight into the mother/coach/daughter dynamic going on there, which I never knew before. And also eye-opening were Dorothy Hamill in particular, as well as Peggy Fleming's take on that, how hard it must have been for Laurence to have to have that go on not only on the ice, but also at home as well, to have to constantly be under her mother's watch 24/7. Anyhow, that's the part I found the most interesting ~ Maribel's personality & life as well ~ where she came from and what drove her, and also what made her cry (e.g. people telling her to "stop acting like a man"), just because she was a very strong woman, but vulnerable, whom basically had to raise two daughters on her own after the divorce. And from there came these remarkable daughters, both excelled at skating, but both totally different.

On that score, I have to say Laurence's last poem, which I had never read before (don't even think it's on the internet, as I have the other two poems she is famous for), was prophetic, in her heart she obviously knew her fate. The part about the sky turning to night, and alas the dawn. Sorry, totally screwing it up, you *have* to read it, that's all I have to say. Dorothy knows what I mean.

Another fascinating revelation were the Westerfeld Sisters (i.e. Sharon & Stephanie), both glamorous, great skaters, and pushed by their mother. Pushed so hard in fact that their mother, right before the 1961 US Nationals, was getting divorced from their father, having moved the girls all over the country in pursuit of stardom. Sorry to say, but I feel this was bad karma on her part, losing her girls, who were finally free of her to fly across the skies on their own to Worlds, whom by all accounts got on fabulously, were the best of friends. It's fitting that they died together imho.

These are only three of the many fascinating stories that were told, there are so many more, I highly recommend seeing the encore performance on March 7th, and also buying the DVD, which is coming soon I heard. I just need time to reflect, so much to digest, and to think about...

p.s. Dakota Fanning's voice was used to play Laurence Owen's voice on that fateful poem. Also, I was disappointed there wasn't anything on Bradley Lord, whom fascinated me after someone put up his 1961 US Nationals FS earlier this year.

Will write more later, right now just sitting back and thinking about it all. (:^)

Custom Title
    Thanks so much, Nadine. I really hope I get to see it in its entirety at some point.

I hadn't realized there was another pair of sisters on the plane. How sad. Hearing about the Westerfeld sisters as well as the Owen girls makes me realize how much more important figure skating was in the U.S. in those days, for girls at least. You could genuinely hope to become a star at that time (and up until at least Hamill in the 1970s). Now it's a lot harder to be that prominent as a skater, probably partly because there are more sports opportunities for women these days, but also because the fan base has eroded. Michelle is an American skating star, but look how many competitions she had to win and how long she had to stay to do it! Tara and Sarah certainly aren't household words.

Surprising that there was nothing about Bradley Lord. He was the only other name besides the Owens that I knew.

It must have been quite a burden being the daughters of the greatest skater in American history up to that point. The fact that the entire Owen family was on the plane (except I think the grandmother) feels almost like destiny. When you look at photos of Maribel Vinson Owen from that time, you can tell how formidable she must have been. I had two aunts like that: you didn't get in their way, and if they wanted to teach you something, you learned it. And in those days, it was especially hard to be a woman of that degree of strength and accomplishment, because someone was always going to accuse you of being too much like a man. A lonely life in its way. She had no granddaughters, but in a way, Michelle Kwan is her granddaughter, because she's the protege of Owen's protege, Frank Carroll.
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-18-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Custom Title
    I hope you don't mind my asking, but out of curiousity I was wondering how come you didn't go, Olympia? I think you would have enjoyed it tremendously, especially seeing as how you love history as much as I do. (:^) Just curious, please don't take it the wrong way, as I realize a lot of people couldn't attend because of a variety of reasons ~ living outside the United States, not playing in their area, inclement weather, job, prior commitment, expenses, illness, what not. I feel sorry for them, and hope they will be able to see it either when it plays again on the 7th of March or via DVD. And most especially I hope a profit was made for the Memorial Fund in honor of the 1961 US Team.

Back to RISE, I truthfully could have sat there all day listening to the stories of people like Ron Ludington, who tops my list of great storytellers! As an aficionado of history, that's my mojo, my thing, I love to hear stories from the older generation, always have, I think it was because I was brought up to respect my elders, but luckily for me I loved my elders. :D Lol, OTOH, my poor 13 yr. old baby niece, when I asked her about her thoughts afterwards, she said she thought there would be more focus on the crash, and more skating, not all that talking, lol, so speaks youth.

I have to admit I've come away with a distaste for "skating mothers", it started with the revelations about Jennifer Kirk's mother last year, and has been reinforced with the Westerfelds mother. My style of parenting would have to be Brian Boitano's terrific parents, whom *never* pushed, ever. They let him do what he wanted to do, dropped him off at practice, and picked him up afterwards, then let him drive himself as soon as he turned 16. (:^D You should have seen the shock & surprise on Michelle Kwan's face when she found this out, she said to Brian "I just can't believe that your parents missed your practices". Very telling...

Lol, and she's not the only one, sounds like Dorothy Hamill has quite a bit stored up inside her too, it's what implied that's most interesting. (;^) Little revelations like that from those still living also made this movie one to see, otherwise I've heard it all before from them, therefore the little get-together wasn't nothing new, except new dresses and new bling ~ loooooved Peggy Fleming's silver swarvoski style earrings & bracelet ~ likewise Dorothy Hamill's butterfly necklace (hmmm, wonder if she bought that from Tai Babilonia, whom used to have her own store full of butterflies). Unfortunately I didn't get to see what type of jewelry Michelle Kwan was wearing, though I noted she wore a lovely dress, and had the best posture amongst them all. As for the men, I liked Scott Hamilton's little silver skate pin he had attached to his left lapel. And Peter Carruthers was all dolled up in stunning silver. (:^D But what really interested me were the thin gold bracelets several of them were wearing on their right wrist...

Oops, and sorry I just have to mention Vera Wang, when she appeared onscreen to be interviewed, sideways, with her long black hair hanging down next to her literally skeletal body, my niece said "Omg, she's got that disease, auntie!" I know she's always been naturally thin, but holy cow if she doesn't want to be the subject of such stories, please cover up, put on some clothes, don't come to a premiere dressed in a thin figure hugging silvery summer dress with no sleeves nor back. It's unflattering, I honestly feel sorry for her. :(

My final thoughts on the movie, it was haunting to see the scorched cover of LIFE magazine with Laurence Owen on the front cover lying amongst the crash, as it came out 3 days before the crash, and her mother's last words, written down on a piece of paper as they arrived at the airport, were about the dozen or so copies she had purchased, making sure to save one that wasn't cut up (most likely to go into her scrapbook). Also, the poor young man (surname Brown?) who was obviously sick throughout his performance with a heart condition, and eventually did two split jumps right out of the rink, was heartbreaking. The guilt he had over giving up his place on the World Team to the young Ramsay was equally haunting...

Custom Title
    Thanks for asking, Nadine. I had family obligations. Why couldn't they have shown it on a Saturday afternoon? But I do intend to see it someday, even if that means springing for the DVD. It would be worth it to me, and I'd be happy to make the donation to the skating program.

I'm sure the whole family thing is a loaded issue that can take many different shapes. I heard from someone who knew one skater (who shall remain nameless, especially since I learned this secondhand) that the siblings often felt ignored because the skater got all the parents' time and most of the attention. Michelle's family was I think more strict and solid rather than driven; once the situation had been set up, everyone took part because it was a family undertaking. Almost every televising of Michelle's world and Olympic competitions featured a shot of the family in the stands, and in addition to Estella and usually Danny, her sister Karen was always there. (I wouldn't recognize her brother, so he may or may not have been sitting there.) Keep in mind that Danny Kwan drove for hours every night from Torrance to Lake Arrowhead to be with the girls.

I think that part of that in Michelle's case was not a stage mother/father issue but more to do with being first-generation Americans. My mother was from an immigrant family as well, and that "one for all, all for one" outlook was part of her life, too. When the oldest sister bought a house (the first in the family), Mom uncomplainingly handed over her fledgling bank account. When another sibling started medical school, everyone pooled resources for that one. Expectations were high, but so was solidarity.

And then there are the kids that are so driven that the parents give up everything for them--change jobs, split up the family, mortgage the home. I'm tempted to cite Tara Lipinski here, though I gather that Mrs. Lipinski was rather driven in her own right. Lucky are the skaters who can live at home and lead a balanced life, the way the Hughes girls seem to have!

Olympia, you're not alone. I am a total skating history geek and I won't be able to see it either on a weekday due to my family responsibilities. I hated to miss it as it sounds like my type of event. I just ordered the Bushman book, "Indelible Tracings", though and I will definitely get the DVD which is supposed to have additional footage, I think.

I wonder how much it will be and if you will need to buy it from the USFA online store? I am in complete envy of those who got to go and I have enjoyed reading the reviews..

Custom Title
    Just a quick FYI for those of you who are questioning and/or wondering...in the post-show interview, the filmmakers did state that the DVD will have additional segments/footage about some of the other individuals which they couldn't fit into the film.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast