RISE 1961 A Must See for all Skating Fans | Page 3 | Golden Skate

RISE 1961 A Must See for all Skating Fans

Thanks so much, Nadine. I really hope I get to see it in its entirety at some point.

I hadn't realized there was another pair of sisters on the plane. How sad. Hearing about the Westerfeld sisters as well as the Owen girls makes me realize how much more important figure skating was in the U.S. in those days, for girls at least. You could genuinely hope to become a star at that time (and up until at least Hamill in the 1970s). Now it's a lot harder to be that prominent as a skater, probably partly because there are more sports opportunities for women these days, but also because the fan base has eroded. Michelle is an American skating star, but look how many competitions she had to win and how long she had to stay to do it! Tara and Sarah certainly aren't household words.

Surprising that there was nothing about Bradley Lord. He was the only other name besides the Owens that I knew.

It must have been quite a burden being the daughters of the greatest skater in American history up to that point. The fact that the entire Owen family was on the plane (except I think the grandmother) feels almost like destiny. When you look at photos of Maribel Vinson Owen from that time, you can tell how formidable she must have been. I had two aunts like that: you didn't get in their way, and if they wanted to teach you something, you learned it. And in those days, it was especially hard to be a woman of that degree of strength and accomplishment, because someone was always going to accuse you of being too much like a man. A lonely life in its way. She had no granddaughters, but in a way, Michelle Kwan is her granddaughter, because she's the protege of Owen's protege, Frank Carroll.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I hope you don't mind my asking, but out of curiousity I was wondering how come you didn't go, Olympia? I think you would have enjoyed it tremendously, especially seeing as how you love history as much as I do. :)^) Just curious, please don't take it the wrong way, as I realize a lot of people couldn't attend because of a variety of reasons ~ living outside the United States, not playing in their area, inclement weather, job, prior commitment, expenses, illness, what not. I feel sorry for them, and hope they will be able to see it either when it plays again on the 7th of March or via DVD. And most especially I hope a profit was made for the Memorial Fund in honor of the 1961 US Team. :)

Back to RISE, I truthfully could have sat there all day listening to the stories of people like Ron Ludington, who tops my list of great storytellers! :thumbsup: As an aficionado of history, that's my mojo, my thing, I love to hear stories from the older generation, always have, I think it was because I was brought up to respect my elders, but luckily for me I loved my elders. :D Lol, OTOH, my poor 13 yr. old baby niece, when I asked her about her thoughts afterwards, she said she thought there would be more focus on the crash, and more skating, not all that talking, lol, so speaks youth. :laugh:

I have to admit I've come away with a distaste for "skating mothers", it started with the revelations about Jennifer Kirk's mother last year, and has been reinforced with the Westerfelds mother. My style of parenting would have to be Brian Boitano's terrific parents, whom *never* pushed, ever. They let him do what he wanted to do, dropped him off at practice, and picked him up afterwards, then let him drive himself as soon as he turned 16. :)^D You should have seen the shock & surprise on Michelle Kwan's face when she found this out, she said to Brian "I just can't believe that your parents missed your practices". Very telling...

Lol, and she's not the only one, sounds like Dorothy Hamill has quite a bit stored up inside her too, it's what implied that's most interesting. (;^) Little revelations like that from those still living also made this movie one to see, otherwise I've heard it all before from them, therefore the little get-together wasn't nothing new, except new dresses and new bling ~ loooooved Peggy Fleming's silver swarvoski style earrings & bracelet ~ likewise Dorothy Hamill's butterfly necklace (hmmm, wonder if she bought that from Tai Babilonia, whom used to have her own store full of butterflies). Unfortunately I didn't get to see what type of jewelry Michelle Kwan was wearing, though I noted she wore a lovely dress, and had the best posture amongst them all. As for the men, I liked Scott Hamilton's little silver skate pin he had attached to his left lapel. And Peter Carruthers was all dolled up in stunning silver. :)^D But what really interested me were the thin gold bracelets several of them were wearing on their right wrist...

Oops, and sorry I just have to mention Vera Wang, when she appeared onscreen to be interviewed, sideways, with her long black hair hanging down next to her literally skeletal body, my niece said "Omg, she's got that disease, auntie!" I know she's always been naturally thin, but holy cow if she doesn't want to be the subject of such stories, please cover up, put on some clothes, don't come to a premiere dressed in a thin figure hugging silvery summer dress with no sleeves nor back. It's unflattering, I honestly feel sorry for her. :(

My final thoughts on the movie, it was haunting to see the scorched cover of LIFE magazine with Laurence Owen on the front cover lying amongst the crash, as it came out 3 days before the crash, and her mother's last words, written down on a piece of paper as they arrived at the airport, were about the dozen or so copies she had purchased, making sure to save one that wasn't cut up (most likely to go into her scrapbook). Also, the poor young man (surname Brown?) who was obviously sick throughout his performance with a heart condition, and eventually did two split jumps right out of the rink, was heartbreaking. The guilt he had over giving up his place on the World Team to the young Ramsay was equally haunting...

Thanks for asking, Nadine. I had family obligations. Why couldn't they have shown it on a Saturday afternoon? But I do intend to see it someday, even if that means springing for the DVD. It would be worth it to me, and I'd be happy to make the donation to the skating program.

I'm sure the whole family thing is a loaded issue that can take many different shapes. I heard from someone who knew one skater (who shall remain nameless, especially since I learned this secondhand) that the siblings often felt ignored because the skater got all the parents' time and most of the attention. Michelle's family was I think more strict and solid rather than driven; once the situation had been set up, everyone took part because it was a family undertaking. Almost every televising of Michelle's world and Olympic competitions featured a shot of the family in the stands, and in addition to Estella and usually Danny, her sister Karen was always there. (I wouldn't recognize her brother, so he may or may not have been sitting there.) Keep in mind that Danny Kwan drove for hours every night from Torrance to Lake Arrowhead to be with the girls.

I think that part of that in Michelle's case was not a stage mother/father issue but more to do with being first-generation Americans. My mother was from an immigrant family as well, and that "one for all, all for one" outlook was part of her life, too. When the oldest sister bought a house (the first in the family), Mom uncomplainingly handed over her fledgling bank account. When another sibling started medical school, everyone pooled resources for that one. Expectations were high, but so was solidarity.

And then there are the kids that are so driven that the parents give up everything for them--change jobs, split up the family, mortgage the home. I'm tempted to cite Tara Lipinski here, though I gather that Mrs. Lipinski was rather driven in her own right. Lucky are the skaters who can live at home and lead a balanced life, the way the Hughes girls seem to have!

76olympics

On the Ice
Olympia, you're not alone. I am a total skating history geek and I won't be able to see it either on a weekday due to my family responsibilities. I hated to miss it as it sounds like my type of event. I just ordered the Bushman book, "Indelible Tracings", though and I will definitely get the DVD which is supposed to have additional footage, I think.

I wonder how much it will be and if you will need to buy it from the USFA online store? I am in complete envy of those who got to go and I have enjoyed reading the reviews..

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Just a quick FYI for those of you who are questioning and/or wondering...in the post-show interview, the filmmakers did state that the DVD will have additional segments/footage about some of the other individuals which they couldn't fit into the film.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Wait what is the story about Jennifer Kirk's mom? I've not heard that yet.

her mom died of cancer just as Jenny was making a name for herself... her mom was teh driving force behind her skating. After her mom died, Jenny started coach hopping, living with her sister while she was coached by Richard Callahan and then she moved out west and worked with Frank Carroll before she finally left teh sport and got herself healthy (she had an eating disorder).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me, the most moving and memorable parts of the film were the clips of Laurence Owen and the pairs skater--I don't recall her name-- who broke her foot in practice before the Nationals and had to withdraw. Her partner found someone else, won Nationals and was on that plane. She had such mixed emotions--she was sad/hurt/worried that her partner had replaced her so easily (or so it seemed) and at the same time relieved/mystified that fate kept her off the plane. She seemed to still have a lot of survivors' guilt. And Laurence Owen. She had such charisma. She reminded me of Janet Lynn, always smiling. I think she would have been one of the greats, had she lived.

heyang

Record Breaker
I had to miss it. I had bought a ticket, but work's been crazy lately and I've been putting in extra hours. Ugh!

I'm definitely buying the DVD. Not sure about the encore - I guess it depends how my project is coming along during the next 2 weeks.

Anyway, it sounds like a great experience. Can't wait to see it eventually.

Jhar55

Medalist
One of my funniest moments of the show was Ron Lundington telling about the time Marabell hit him over the head with wooden folding chair. Everyone in the theater starting to snicker.
And the poem written by Lawrence* just hearing it made you want to cry.
Didn't care much for the chit chat hosted by Matt L. and Petter just gets on my last nerve.
When they interviewd Vera Wang eveyone just gasped at her sorry but she is too skinny could see all the bones in her back. Peggy could made better choice in her dress that zipper dress just didn't get it and thought she was going to give everyone a show while crossing her legs. Michelle's dress was really cute for her and her jimmy coo shoes. Dorothty was very well dressed also. Scott and Brian well men is nice suites.
Guess because I am in a smaller market there was maybe 20 at the most in the theather.
At the end Petter talked about how to get the pin with your ticket and gave a web site when I looked it up couldn't find where to get my free pin. Did anyone else find it? Over all it was worth the $10 and will get the DVD when comes out..

Last edited:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
At the end Petter talked about how to get the pin with your ticket and gave a web site when I looked it up couldn't find where to get my free pin. Did anyone else find it?

Jhar55~At the website, www.rise1961.com, there's a blue tab on the left hand side that says "Redeem Tickets". You have to fill out a survey regarding the event and it sends you back a receipt email, which you have to mail to the address given with your ticket stub.

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Thank you LegalGirl! I just filled out my form for the pin and mag.

I was 8 when this happened, and I hardly remembered it. It was mentioned a few years ago, and it came back to me like a ghost. Now that I am an avid fan, if this happened these days, I do not know WHAT I would do. When I see that HUGE, gushing smile on the face of Laurence Owen, I get really emotional. She looks like the quintessential, life loving, girl next door......even in 2011. I was surprised that I contained myself in the theatre as well as I did. The theatre was right across from the Seven Bridges Ice Arena, in Woodridge, IL. which is where I met Sasha at a skate clinic there a few years back. If anyone is in that area, they have three rinks there! The theatre was 95% full, and medium size. Some of the kids were in their skating clothes, which I loved to see. I also loved the pre and post shows that they had.

When it comes to famous people in any walk of their lives, I LOVE to see them pay tribute to those who came before them. It was obviously a very humbling experience for all of the skaters involved.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Beautiful words, PullingForSasha, Welcome to GoldenSkate! :love:

I know exactly what you mean about Laurence's captivating face, it makes one want to laugh, cry, and scream for joy all at the same time. Leastways it does for me. :)

I recall when I saw her face for the first time on the big screen last night I was fighting to recall whom she reminded me of, some star from long ago, at first I thought it might be Burt Reynolds first wife for some reason, but then I just saw her and, no, not her. It's going to be eating away at me until I remember, lol. :D

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Beautiful words, PullingForSasha, Welcome to GoldenSkate! :love:

I know exactly what you mean about Laurence's captivating face, it makes one want to laugh, cry, and scream for joy all at the same time. Leastways it does for me. :)

I recall when I saw her face for the first time on the big screen last night I was fighting to recall whom she reminded me of, some star from long ago, at first I thought it might be Burt Reynolds first wife for some reason, but then I just saw her and, no, not her. It's going to be eating away at me until I remember, lol. :D
Thank you Nadine. Skating brings it out of me. LOL Yes that shot of Natalie definitely reminds me of Laurence. :thumbsup:

Jhar55

Medalist
Thanks Legalgirl had been snake it would ahve bit me. Looked at that site 2/3 times and missed it.
Ordered my pin and very disapointed I couldn't donate any money due to being on very tight budget at this time.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
RISE: Remembering Sabena Flight 548 - the plane crash that killed the 1961 US Team

Just been reading about RISE, the new film to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the day on which the 1961 U.S. figure skating team perished in a plane crash on its way to that years World Championships.

If you get a chance, its well worth seeing the film, not least because the proceeds go to the memorial fund set up as a legacy to those that died.

Just set up this thread to mark the occasion and to bring together various material on the net in relation to the tragedy.

Sabena Flight 548 - Background and Legacy

ESPN Documentary: Enduring legacy

Documentary on the 1961 U.S. Figure Skating Team

Documentary: Remembering the 1961 U.S. Figure Skating Team

Documentary: Sabena Flight 548

Original Newsreel on Crash

Sports Illustrated Article

Website Dedicated to 1961 Team

RISE: the Film

RISE - the Films website

THE SKATERS WHO DIED

MENS TEAM

Bradley Lord

1961 Nationals - FS

North American Championships 1961

Gregory Kelley

1961 Nationals - FS

Douglas Ramsey

1961 Nationals - FS

LADIES TEAM

Laurence Owen

1961 Nationals - FS

1960 Olympics

North American Championships - 1961

Stephanie Westerfeld

1961 Nationals - FS

Rhode Lee Michelson

1961 Nationals - FS

PAIRS TEAM

Maribel Owen & Dudley Richards

1961 Nationals - FS

North American Championships 1961

Ila Ray Hadley & Ray Hadley Jnr

1961 Nationals - FS

Laurie Hickox and William Hickox

Short segment in them - sadly no footage of their bronze medal performance at 1961 Nationals

ICE DANCE TEAM

Diane Sherbloom & Larry Pierce

1961 Nationals - freedance

Dona Lee Carrier & Roger Campbell

1961 Nationals - Freedance

Patricia Major Dineen & Robert Dineen

Unfortunately, only this snippet exists of their 1961 Nationals performance

OTHERS WHO DIED

Maribel Vinson-Owen - Coach & Former Skater

1932 Olympics

Feature Article

Another Feature Article

Edi Scholdan - Coach & Former Skater

Feature Article

Daniel Ryan - Coach & Former Skater

Feature Article

Another Feature Article

Linda Hadley - Coach

Feature Article

Bill Kipp - Coach & Former Skater

Feature Article

Bill Swallender - Coach & Former Skater

Feature Article

Harold Hartshorne - Judge & Former Skater

Feature Article

Eddie LeMaire - Judge & Former Skater

Feature Article

Deane McMinn - Team Manager & Former Skater

Feature Article

Walter Powell - Referee

Feature Article

Hence, all in all, the United States lost 18 skaters, 6 coaches, and 4 officials on that fateful flight. It would take a long time for the U.S. to recover from the tragedy. The memorial fund helped in the rebuilding, as did Peggy Flemings 1968 Olympic victory, and the recruiting of international coaches such as Carlo Fassi and John Nicks. Finally, there are the great what might have been's that one will speculate about for as long as figure skating exists. Would Laurence Owen have become Olympic champion in 1964 for example in place of Sjoukje Dijkstra? Sadly, we will never know and it will always remain a what if

Last edited: