Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: Comparing Men's Nationals Scores

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720

    Comparing Men's Nationals Scores

    FWIW

    Patrick Chan ...................285.85 CAN
    Takahiko Kozuka...............251.93 JPN
    Nobunari Oda...................237.48 JPN
    Daisuke Takahashi.............236.79 JPN
    Ryan Bradley....................231.90 USA
    Brian JOUBERT..................231.85 FRA
    Shawn Sawyer..................229.09 CAN
    Richard Dornbush...............225.56 USA
    Konstantin Menshov............225.17 RUS
    Ross Miner........................224.35 USA
    Jeremy Abbott...................224.16 USA
    Florent AMODIO.................222.55 FRA
    Tomas VERNER..................221.20 CZE
    Yuzuru Hanyu....................220.06 JPN
    Adam Rippon.....................220.04 USA
    Samuel CONTESTI..............216.79 ITA
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh........215.05 USA
    Brandon Mroz....................213.49 USA
    Keegan Messing.................213.29 USA
    Arthur Gachinsky................211.28 RUS
    Takahito Mura...................207.31 JPN
    Yan Han...........................206.01 CHN
    Kristoffer BERNTSSON.........205.31 SWE
    Zhan Bush.........................204.98 RUS
    Sergei Voronov..................204.71 RUS
    Tatsuki Machida.................204.11 JPN
    Joey Russell.......................204.02 CAN
    Gordey Gorshkov................203.50 RUS
    Alban PREAUBER.................202.94 FRA
    Michal BREZINA..................202.76 CZE

    Use your personally assigned rates of inflation.

    Chan, Sawyer, and Joubert did outperform their international best this season whereas the top Japanese, Amodio, Abbott, Rippon, and Mroz underperformed. (IMO and not by scores.) Others I can't say for sure. The other Americans on this list don't have international senior scores to measure against.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-03-2011 at 05:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    410
    So on this list Americans are 5 and 8 so if WC tracks this - still three spots for US Men! I think they'd be happy with those results - and probably lucky to get them. But of the none other skaters in their "neighborhood" seem to be especially on this year so far. From 5 to 15 range, of those competing at Worlds, I'd say only Amodio the has a big potential upside, maybe Verner, but I haven't seen it in his skates.

    Thanks for putting together such an interesting list!

  3. #3
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,152
    Hmm, my "realistic wishlist" for placements at Worlds would probably be:

    01. Daisuke Takahashi - He deserves to end his career out as 2-time World champ. Don't love his LP this year but he at least shows his stunning performance abilities with the SP.

    02. Takahiko Kozuka - Although I don't care for his programs this year, he is amazing and needs to build momentum for the future. I've found him more interesting than Chan thus far in their careers.

    03. Patrick Chan - Please find some real maturity and/or programs that work with your nature (like the 2009 programs). Then you'll be more deserving of the scores you're receiving. Hopefully a 3rd place will force Lori Nichol to get more creative next season.

    04. Florent Amodio - His LP is such a perfect fit this year and he definitely has a unique personality and movement to his skating that I want to see more of. This placement solidifies his position as a real contender while keeping him hungry and driven to keep improving.

    05. Shawn Sawyer - He'd be very happy with a top 5 placement and very much deserves it for the creativity he brings, if he skates as well as Nationals.

    06. Ryan Bradley - Because the U.S. needs 3 spots.

    07. Ross Miner - Because the U.S. needs 3 spots (and I prefer his programs to Dornbush's).

    08. Brian Joubert - Don't want to see him completely bomb. This also gives France 3 spots for next year - I want Yannick Ponsero to come back next season and be on the team.

    09. Javier Fernandez - He shows promise. This would be an improvement from last year and keep him on a good path.

    10. Don't really care at this point.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    I'm looking for Abbott to really bring it at the 4CC, just as I knew Chan would shine after the first few competitions. Not a wish but a projection bashed on reasons I may explain after the event.

  5. #5
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,657
    With Patrick, his SP reminds of when some ballerinas try to to jazz. It's like they can do the steps very well and the beat and everything but they're struggling to lose their ballet arms and their classical way of moving.

    Patrick has the flow and the speed but not the sharpness and tension that music requires. I don't know if I'm explaining it well.

    I like the choreo just fine but it doesn't quite go with his way of moving.

    His LP goes with him sooooo much better. I really like some moments in the programs like the little cabrioles and the footwork into his second lutz... I thought he showed a bit more passion than usual at Canadian nationals. Still, it's not the most memorable choreo in the word and I don't love the cut of the music for the final footwork section.

    His relationship with Lori seems like a special one. Hopefully, it will lead to signature programs for Patrick at some point.
    Last edited by Layfan; 02-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Numbers are just that numbers, they don't mean squat in the grand scheme of things, it's any man's game! I hope each man will remember that when they take the ice.

  7. #7
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Hmm, my "realistic wishlist" for placements at Worlds would probably be:

    01. Daisuke Takahashi - He deserves to end his career out as 2-time World champ. Don't love his LP this year but he at least shows his stunning performance abilities with the SP.

    02. Takahiko Kozuka - Although I don't care for his programs this year, he is amazing and needs to build momentum for the future. I've found him more interesting than Chan thus far in their careers.

    03. Patrick Chan - Please find some real maturity and/or programs that work with your nature (like the 2009 programs). Then you'll be more deserving of the scores you're receiving. Hopefully a 3rd place will force Lori Nichol to get more creative next season.

    04. Florent Amodio - His LP is such a perfect fit this year and he definitely has a unique personality and movement to his skating that I want to see more of. This placement solidifies his position as a real contender while keeping him hungry and driven to keep improving.

    05. Shawn Sawyer - He'd be very happy with a top 5 placement and very much deserves it for the creativity he brings, if he skates as well as Nationals.

    06. Ryan Bradley - Because the U.S. needs 3 spots.

    07. Ross Miner - Because the U.S. needs 3 spots (and I prefer his programs to Dornbush's).

    08. Brian Joubert - Don't want to see him completely bomb. This also gives France 3 spots for next year - I want Yannick Ponsero to come back next season and be on the team.

    09. Javier Fernandez - He shows promise. This would be an improvement from last year and keep him on a good path.

    10. Don't really care at this point.
    I love this scenario.. Sawyer beating Joubert, YEAH. lol. Not that I hate Joubert, I just really love Sawyer and want him to beat a former world champion.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Hmm, my "realistic wishlist" for placements at Worlds would probably be:

    01. Daisuke Takahashi - He deserves to end his career out as 2-time World champ. Don't love his LP this year but he at least shows his stunning performance abilities with the SP.

    02. Takahiko Kozuka - Although I don't care for his programs this year, he is amazing and needs to build momentum for the future. I've found him more interesting than Chan thus far in their careers.

    03. Patrick Chan - Please find some real maturity and/or programs that work with your nature (like the 2009 programs). Then you'll be more deserving of the scores you're receiving. Hopefully a 3rd place will force Lori Nichol to get more creative next season.

    04. Florent Amodio - His LP is such a perfect fit this year and he definitely has a unique personality and movement to his skating that I want to see more of. This placement solidifies his position as a real contender while keeping him hungry and driven to keep improving.

    05. Shawn Sawyer - He'd be very happy with a top 5 placement and very much deserves it for the creativity he brings, if he skates as well as Nationals.

    06. Ryan Bradley - Because the U.S. needs 3 spots.

    07. Ross Miner - Because the U.S. needs 3 spots (and I prefer his programs to Dornbush's).

    08. Brian Joubert - Don't want to see him completely bomb. This also gives France 3 spots for next year - I want Yannick Ponsero to come back next season and be on the team.

    09. Javier Fernandez - He shows promise. This would be an improvement from last year and keep him on a good path.

    10. Don't really care at this point.
    Hey, where is Oda? And Brezina? And Verner?

    Oda will bump Amodio off one place at least. Brian Joubert is still sharp enough to be in top 6. I don't have much hope for Sawyer and Bradley. Seeing how unbelievable reaction they displayed at their Nationals, I think they're very much done for the season. Hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 02-04-2011 at 01:48 AM.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Hey, where is Oda?
    Oda has just won at Universiade 2011 in Turkey.
    http://www.universiadeerzurum.org/figure-skating
    It seems that he did not have a clean LP and no quad(s).

    Oda is the best jumper in Japan and one of the best jumpers in the world but does not seem to be the toughest competitor. At least, so far.

    4CC will be interesting... No Chan, no Oda, no three medalists of US Nats but almost everyone else including Saywer and Denis Ten.(Ten just won in SP at Winter Asian Games held in his home country. Very clean SP)

    It would not be terribly late to predict about Worlds after seeing 4CC with more prospect.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny0760 View Post
    4CC will be interesting... No Chan, no Oda, no three medalists of US Nats but almost everyone else including Saywer and Denis Ten.
    It doesn't matter whether the US podium finishers are there or not. I still think that the top US guys are in 4CC until it proved not.

    I'm so excited about 4CC. It's like a world championship without Patrick Chan. Ha, ha!

  11. #11
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Numbers are just that numbers, they don't mean squat in the grand scheme of things, it's any man's game! I hope each man will remember that when they take the ice.
    Exactly, why compare Canadian scores versus Japanese scores? are all judges equal?

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Exactly, why compare Canadian scores versus Japanese scores? are all judges equal?
    Different people view and get their information differently from such data and compilations. This list is done with disclaimers. Take it and interpret it as you see fit. Or not.

    I don't include these scores in my other compilations of this season's highest scores for obvious reasons. However, this is the list to include major competitors at the upcoming World Championship. Interestingly, it seems to receive more attention and comments than those of the international records.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 02-04-2011 at 11:18 AM.

  13. #13
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Hey, where is Oda? And Brezina? And Verner?
    I don't care for any of them (at least not with the terrible LP Verner has this year). They have all had meltdowns before, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they finish outside of the top 9.

  14. #14
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    ^^^
    I do not follow these high scoring results as indicative of a skater's abilities to win a Worlds.

    Home town judging may very well show high scores for a favorite son.

    International judging may very well show high scores, but they can not be compared with other competitions. Different Panels are not equal.

    I can see Chan as one of the top contenders without these scores.

  15. #15
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I don't have much hope for Sawyer and Bradley. Seeing how unbelievable reaction they displayed at their Nationals, I think they're very much done for the season.
    I don't think you can draw any conclusions from that. Tomorrow is another day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •