The Definitive Word from Scott Moir ? | Golden Skate

The Definitive Word from Scott Moir ?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm not sure my cut and paste is working properly, but as per CBC sports..On Scott Russell's blog Scott Moir says via phone interview that they will definitely be at 4CC .

Something's gone wrong with my toolbar functions, maybe someone else can link.

I'm not sure my cut and paste is working properly, but as per CBC sports..On Scott Russell's blog Scott Moir says via phone interview that they will definitely be at 4CC .

Something's gone wrong with my toolbar functions, maybe someone else can link.

Yeah, that site will mess up your computer if you have an older operating system. It works OK if you turn off javascript before going there.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Here are the salient parts of that article for those who don't want to visit that crappy website:

"We will be back at Four Continents in two weeks and I can't wait to compete again," Scott Moir said via e-mail from the training base in Canton, Mich. "We still have the fire and I hope it will last for many more years."

"We wanted Tessa to be healthy," Moir stressed. "That became our number one priority and we knew the surgery was 100 per cent necessary. Still, it is always frustrating for an athlete not to be able to perform."

It's going to be interesting to see Davis/White, who has had an entire season of competition to refine their programs and athleticism up against their rink mates. My guess is Virtue/Moir are going to come in second to Davis/White. Still, I am very happy that my favorite ice dancing team will be at 4cc and at least get one major international competition in before Worlds.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Thanks, guys ! On top of the crappy website, a guest to my home ( who won't be a guest again in a hurry ) went on my computer and messed around with toolbars and God knows what else and I haven't managed to get things completely back to normal yet. Sadly, I'm like the person who knows how to drive, but has no very good idea of how the vehicle works..:laugh:

The world will not end for me if V/M come second to D/W. I like D/W very much. However, I'm not thinking D/W have as clear an advantage as might seem obvious. Some of V/M's strengths are practically innate by now..(unison , extension, pointed toes, skating close together, etc. )..so some of what they have to regain will probably come back very quickly.

Charlie and Meryl have greatly improved their programs since the beginning of the season . Their FD is very difficult , fast, has lots of interesting elements..but still struggles to find the proper tango expression , so for me doesn't make much of an emotional impact.( When I think of them, S&D is the program that still springs to mind as the ideal ) So if Tessa and Scott have a really good FD , the playing field can be levelled quite a bit , time out notwithstanding.( I have no doubt they will have a very good handle on Latin expression)

herios

Medalist
:confused:
Thanks, guys ! On top of the crappy website, a guest to my home ( who won't be a guest again in a hurry ) went on my computer and messed around with toolbars and God knows what else and I haven't managed to get things completely back to normal yet. Sadly, I'm like the person who knows how to drive, but has no very good idea of how the vehicle works..:laugh:

The world will not end for me if V/M come second to D/W.

Lucky you only your toolbars got clobbered, could have been a lot worse like mine, which was hit by a virus and my troubleshooter was very suspicous of all the sites I have been watching skating live last week:confused:

In any case, no matter how V/M will do at these years competitions, if they are back indeed and skate, Canada will have the best line up ever at a world championship with potentially all 3 teams coming into the top 10. That was something I envisioned back about 3-4 years ago, when I sensed that C/P will be in a few years top 10 calibre and W/P could improve to that level as well.
And if they will pull it off, then with P/I chasing them from behind, it could be even better next year. Hoping to have 2 canadian dance teams on the podium before v/M retire, that would be the cherry on the cake. (London 2013 perhaps?)
You can say I am dreamer, but you never know:)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: To quote Mr. Rogers and Mr. Hammerstein , " You got to have a dream . If you don't have a dream , how you gonna have a dream come true ? "

I had a computer virus about a month or so ago...got it fixed through Microsoft. They found the baddie , but they also didn't like my security program from my internet provider. It was like Tron..there was a war going on in my computer , each side telling me I was at risk from the other..:disapp:

And fingers crossed for skatebuzz getting a stream for 4CC..so we don't have to stick our necks out quite so far.;)...because if the only stream comes from Lower Slobovia , I'll still have to try to watch.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I was just posting a preview for the Ice Dance competition at 4 Continents on my blog today and I realized how deep the American and Canadian dance fields are. All six of those teams have the potential to make top ten at Worlds and I think that competing at 4 Continents will give them all the chance to push each other to be better at Worlds.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Thanks! I'm going to try to post more often. I just read the threads for a while but finally decided a few days ago to start replying to the threads.

wallylutz

Medalist
Sure, here is the link! I was thinking of posting earlier but didn't want to shamelessly plug my own blog :)

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/

I think Davis/White can't expect to win with another 3 falls in the competition like they did in Skate America because that's for sure. :laugh:

As for the Shibutanis taking the Bronze besides the two Ice Dance giants, I don't think raising such unrealistic expectation too soon is healthy at all. For one thing, the two teams they have to beat both make it to GPF while they didn't and the American Silver Medalists are just in their 1st year in the Senior rank. With literaly one point separating the #2 and #3 Canadian teams in their Nationals and Weaver/Poje defeating Crone/Poirier in the Short Dance at the GPF, it seems to me you have way underestimated Weaver/Poje as a competitor and just assume Shibutani will easily be ranked above them. Sure, the Shibutanis did rank higher at Skate America, emphasizing in America. But they lost when they competed in Japan. At best, I think it would make a potential interesting fight as a three way battle for the Bronze but you have to believe Crone/Poirier are the favorites even though personally, I couldn't care for their style of skating or them as a team, speaking as someone who actually met them and up close.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Hi-thanks for the comments, its great to have the feedback. The predictions that I make are based on the season's scores and rankings, as well as my own personal gut feelings. The reason that I placed the Shibutanis in 3rd is because of their rapid improvement throughout the season. They had mistakes at NHK and finished behind Weaver & Poje. They had smaller mistakes at Skate America and finished ahead of Weaver & Poje, and within 4 or 5 points of Crone and Poirier. However, at US Nationals, they went clean in both legs of the competition so they have great momentum and confidence going into this competition. I agree with you that we cannot expect too much out of them so young, but they are incredibly talented and I can truly see them on this podium. I did not see Canadian Nationals, so I cannot comment on that, but it was my personal opinion that Crone & Poirier had a fabulous season opener at Skate Canada but started going downhill after that. Weaver & Poje are my second favorite ice dance team in the world (after Chock & Zuerlein) and I think they have an impeccable short dance but for some reason, they judges are not loving their free dance. At both Skate America and the Grand Prix Final, they dropped placements after the free dance leg of the competition. And like I said, my own gut feelings are part of my predictions so for some reason, I just feel that the Shibutanis will be on that podium even though I realize that they will be incredibly close score-wise with Crone/Poirier, Weaver/Poje, and maybe even Chock/Zuerlein.

herios

Medalist
Hi-thanks for the comments, its great to have the feedback. The predictions that I make are based on the season's scores and rankings, as well as my own personal gut feelings. The reason that I placed the Shibutanis in 3rd is because of their rapid improvement throughout the season. They had mistakes at NHK and finished behind Weaver & Poje. They had smaller mistakes at Skate America and finished ahead of Weaver & Poje, and within 4 or 5 points of Crone and Poirier. However, at US Nationals, they went clean in both legs of the competition so they have great momentum and confidence going into this competition. I agree with you that we cannot expect too much out of them so young, but they are incredibly talented and I can truly see them on this podium. I did not see Canadian Nationals, so I cannot comment on that, but it was my personal opinion that Crone & Poirier had a fabulous season opener at Skate Canada but started going downhill after that.

Then you have to know that both W/P and C/P skated a lot better at the Canadians than at Skate America. So, down below the top 2 teams in the world anything could happen, but based on the international placements before, I would also consider C/P the favorites for the 3rd place.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:unsure: I simply can't bring myself to make any prediction beyond thinking that V/M and D/W will be in contention for spots 1 and 2..
(Of course my heart wants V/M to win, and I don't think D/W truly dazzle yet with their FD..still..)

Likewise, conventional wisdom ( C/P for bronze) aside , I think anything could happen between C/P, W/P and S/S. Both Canadian teams skated better at nationals than through the GP..but so did the Shibs.. and their confidence has to be soaring after the results they achieved.
All I know is , if we get a livestream feed , the FD goes at 4AM my time , and I will definitely be up to see it .:laugh:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So will I! I want to see the debut of V&M's FD, and see how D&W's tango has improved since Nationals.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
"Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir on Q TV"

If anyone is interested, Scott and Tessa had a twenty-minute interview with QTv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvvty-7zV9s&feature=player_embedded
World ice dancing champions (and Canadian heroes) Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir twizzled their way into studio to reflect on their win at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics as well as share some surprising news on Tessa's injury going into that competition.

They talk about:
The Olympics
Her current injury + surgery
How they met
Her past injury in 2008 and how/why they'd been angry with each other back then
...etc.

Apparently, they had marriage counseling. Well, kind of. They had sports counseling from a marriage counselor.