Who fell in love with the Shibutani's? (fan thread) | Golden Skate

Who fell in love with the Shibutani's? (fan thread)

I! I! They were one of the highlights of Nationals. The program was enchanting. By comparison, D&W's program was all about point-collecting, IMO. Thanks for the link.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Me too. I've been a fan of them all season. I had been hearing hype about them for awhile so to finally get to see them was wonderful :)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:):)I've been in love with them since NHK !

Yet another young couple to be in awe of. Ice Dance is just flowering !

Definitely a fan as well! It does seem as though ice dance is going through a splendid flowering phase.

chloepoco

Medalist
Oh, definitely me! They've really matured this year; I could watch that program over and over!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
They are great, and this season they just seem so much more mature now that Maia looks much more grown up. Just how much did she grow? Looks like a good few inches since even the end of last season, which is pretty unusual for a 16 year old girl.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I saw them first-hand at SA, so I already knew beforehand that they were special, I love her smile! :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last year was difficult for them, since Alex had grown and Maia hadn't. I was so relieved that they are now a good match for each other again.

I have loved their skating since the Junior Nationals program for 2005 that was posted above. They were so cute then, and now they are so smooth, and their timing is so impeccable.

I love them. They have charmed me since their first GP event! I wish I that I paid attention to them during their junior years.

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NrB23vPx8

You could see it then!

I looked at this video, and below it, where the usual viewer commentary is, half the comments were from kids their age who knew them personally: "Her locker is next to mine at school!" So dear. Even at eleven and fourteen or whatever they were, you could see their crispness and smoothness. Now--magnifique! Thanks, GS experts, for alerting me to them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I saw them in 2008 at Nationals and fell in love as they were SO ADORABLE. I'm not normally a fan of the sibling teams (can you say *awkward*) but I really love watching those two skate...

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Very impressed by them & can see them doing well internationally in the coming years. I've found these Nationals to be more exciting than most just because of all the very talented young, up & coming skaters who did so well. It will be fascinating to watch them develop & to follow their careers.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I saw them in 2008 at Nationals and fell in love as they were SO ADORABLE. I'm not normally a fan of the sibling teams (can you say *awkward*) but I really love watching those two skate...

They certainly handled that well at nationals. Their program was so lighthearted and airy. They made it look like just two people having fun. Their program didn't look a labored at all.

p.s. on a light note, I really liked the simplicity of their costumes and how they weren't matchy-matchy. Kinda goes along with the ease of their skating.

Last edited:

shusterbutski

Rinkside
Just want to say hi this is my first post. The Shibs are definitely my favourite new senior dance team this season, I think Marina and Igor are smart and creative enough to avoid any uncomfortable moments in their programs. However I did feel like their scores at nationals were a little inflated, 70 in the SD and over 100 points in the FD are massive scores (higher then the P/B at EC) . I know nationals usually inflate the scores a bit but I think both Canadian and US nationals were actually pretty good this year not over scoring, unlike last year where things got a little silly.

KKonas

Medalist
Just want to say hi this is my first post. The Shibs are definitely my favourite new senior dance team this season, I think Marina and Igor are smart and creative enough to avoid any uncomfortable moments in their programs. However I did feel like their scores at nationals were a little inflated, 70 in the SD and over 100 points in the FD are massive scores (higher then the P/B at EC) . I know nationals usually inflate the scores a bit but I think both Canadian and US nationals were actually pretty good this year not over scoring, unlike last year where things got a little silly.

When you receive all Level 4s in the SD as the Shibs and Davis & White did, (no other senior dance team has done that this season so far) and have the best twizzles in the world and great speed and flow, you get high scores. I don't think they were overmarked at all. P&B are quite frankly slower as are Crone & Poirier and pretty much everybody else.