A letter-writing project for Adrian Schultheiss fans | Golden Skate

A letter-writing project for Adrian Schultheiss fans

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As I'm sure most of you have heard by now, Adrian has been feeling low since the 2008 Worlds, and he is contemplating quitting the sport. I've recently befriended the webmistress of his official website, and she invites you all to take part in her letter-writing project. Please e-mail your messages for Adrian to [email protected]

She has a small recommendation on what to include in your letter:
At first I wanted this to be an "encouraging" project, but I think it might be hard for Adrian to read something like "Don’t give up", "Hang in there", etc. during such a rough time. Maybe it would be sweeter to send him some warm words, just showing our love and appreciation for his hard work, dedication and achievements.

For those of you who prefer snail mail, I've sent an e-mail to Svenska Konståkningsförbundet (the Swedish Figure Skating Association) asking them what would be the best way to reach Adrian. I'll share the address if I get a response.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Lest you think this stuff doesn't work, it worked for Ryan Bradley.

He came back to US Nationals because of a Twitter and Facebook campaign by his fans. The stuff he said really touched him was fans saying how much they would miss seeing his performances at Nationals.

So that's a good start, perhaps.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I'm not worried about my e-mail getting lost, was thinking that if she got a lot of emails about this, it would help her sort it out.

I do think a more public campaign where people can see what others have written would help more, since that would motivate some people to write a message of support when they wouldn't have otherwise. And in that vein, here's my letter to Adrian:

Hi Adrian,

Like the first skater to do a camel spin, or the first one to do a kind of jump, you are an originator who has changed the sport. Let me explain: That free skate you skated so perfectly at the Olympics was seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world. After seeing so many programs to movie soundtracks and classical music, they saw you skate to trip-hop, metal, rap and even the sound of a scream. After seeing so many skaters try to be proper and elegant, they saw you skate weirdly and even violently. Some of those millions of people who saw you skate will go on to become skaters themselves, then coaches or choreographers. Some of them already are. And for many of them, you made them realize that a skater doesn't have to skate to classical music, or even music at all. That a skater can portray something weird and even ugly and still be wonderful and loved by the crowd. That being really different and doing it really well, like you did, makes a skater far more memorable, because they remembered you. From now on, there will be programs and choreography using music and themes that wouldn't have been used without you. You have made the sport more interesting, popular and creative. Thank you! I hope you have the freedom to continue to innovate and change the sport.

Sincerely,
[My Real Name Redacted]

Last edited:
What a wonderful letter! If that were the only one he got, this campaign would be effective.

I'm not going to follow suit because mine was boring. :eek::

Nadine

Record Breaker
I wish Adrian well, but if he's that bad off, then he should just quit imho.

The difference between Ryan Bradley & Adrian Schultheiss is that the former looks to have never had clinical depression, whereas the latter appears to be in full blown clinical depression.

He needs to see a doctor, or get some sort of professional help, where's his family? They need to do something about it.

For what it's worth I'll write a letter as well, but private.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wish Adrian well, but if he's that bad off, then he should just quit imho.

While I agree that he needs get away from the sport so that his spirit can fully heal, I'm hoping that the time off will be a break rather than an early retirement. Clara Hughes, an accomplished Canadian cyclist and speed skater, has also suffered from clinical depression, but she eventually found a way to manage it: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/02/06/sp-hughes-q-a.html Maybe when Adrian feels whole and happy again, he'll rediscover why he loves figure skating and return to the sport. :)

For what it's worth I'll write a letter as well, but private.

I'm planning to do this, too, since my letter will have a more personal tone. I've received a response from the Swedish federation earlier this morning, and you can send snail mail to Adrian (or any other Swedish figure skater) at this address:

Swedish Figure Skating Association
Idrottens Hus
Fiskartorpsvägen 15A
114 73 Stockholm
Sweden

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'd rather send him a letter via snail mail because I find it more personal, really shows the person that you care, you took the time to sit down and write a letter, pay for a stamp, send it off, etc. Conversely, I find the internet too unemotional & sterile when it comes to such things, which is why I opted out of a "card sending service" last year because I found it too cheap (emotion wise as well). I don't care how long it takes, I send each & every one of my customers, friends, loved ones, acquaintances, et al, personal hand-written cards & letters, especially around the holidays.

It comes from my heart, and that's what makes all the difference in the world!

:love:GOOOOOOOOOOOO, ADRIAN!!!!!:love:

Here's to all the loves coming your way! :clap: